Oculus Rift 4K VR headset

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Oculus Rift 4K VR headset

Postposted on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:15 pm

i7-3770K@4.7 | H100 | P8Z77-V PREMIUM | 16GB | 2 GTX 770 4GB SLI | M500 960GB | EVO 840 250GB | AX850 | Obsidian 550D | R.A.T. 9 | U2713H | U2711
End User
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Re: Oculus Rift 4K VR headset

Postposted on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:04 am

What will it do to your eyes? It looks as though the screens will be about 15cm max from your eyes, and 4 hours of that :o
STILL WANT IT though.
crooked windows
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:12 am

Occulus displays are 2x5" displays aren't they? or 1x5" display cut in half or some such?
Fitting 4k res in that space would be incredibly impressive - I'm guessing they'd opt for OLED panels of some sort for the nice blacks.
Still the cost would be astronomical.
AbRASiON
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:21 am

Very Interesting and ton of potential, but I do not see 4K units seeing commercial channels for at a least five years. The current generation units are barely catching on right now and it will take a number of years from them to reach critical mass.
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC-12800, EVGA 660Ti, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.
Krogoth
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:28 am

Krogoth wrote:Very Interesting and ton of potential, but I do not see 4K units seeing commercial channels for at a least five years. The current generation units are barely catching on right now and it will take a number of years from them to reach critical mass.

5 years, are you serious? The whole industry will be onto something else in 5 years! I give it 2-3 years MAX for widespread availability. MAYBE 4 years for mainstream pricing. FIVE YEARS to see commercial channels? You're insane. Have you just missed the past 5 years and how much has changed? The last 10 years? Sure it's slowing down, but not to the degree that you're inferring.
Intel Core i7-875K, Asus P7P55D-E Pro, Win 7 Home Premium
MSI GTX 560 Ti OC, Mushkin 2x2GB DDR3-1333, Corsair TX650
Cooler Master Hyper 212+, Logitech Z-2300, ASUS Xonar DX
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, Dell Ultrasharp U2410, Antec P183
DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:37 am

DeadOfKnight wrote:
Krogoth wrote:Very Interesting and ton of potential, but I do not see 4K units seeing commercial channels for at a least five years. The current generation units are barely catching on right now and it will take a number of years from them to reach critical mass.

5 years, are you serious? The whole industry will be onto something else in 5 years! I give it 2-3 years MAX for widespread availability. MAYBE 4 years for mainstream pricing. FIVE YEARS to see commercial channels? You're insane. Have you just missed the past 5 years and how much has changed? The last 10 years? Sure it's slowing down, but not to the degree that you're inferring.

Yes, that is typically that amount of time for something like the new generation of VR headsets to catch on if they ever do. IMO, their biggest problem is trying to appeal to the mainstream market. At this stage, they are nothing more than a fancy novelty toy for geeks and hardcore hobbyists.

Look how long it took for 2Megapxiel displays to become commonplace and 4 Megapixel displays to a lesser extent? Almost a decade. SSDs took a while before hitting critical mass. They existed back in 80s, but the cost of flash memory made it cost-prohibitive for mainstream market. It wasn't after many node shrinks and several other advances in flash media that allow SSDs to become affordable to mainstream during early 2000s. First-generation SSDs had a number of aching issues that were ironed out in second and third-generation units. Multi-core CPUs took a while before becoming commonplace and mainstream software to take advantage of them.

VR headsets faced their own set of technology hurdles that will have to overcome in order to get widespread adoption.

Not much has fundamentally changed in the computing world in the past five years. Just more miniaturization (CPUs and form factors) and scaling-up existing designs (GPU/SSDs). A sharp contrast to the rapid growth seen throughout the late 80s into the early 2000s.
Last edited by Krogoth on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC-12800, EVGA 660Ti, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.
Krogoth
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:46 am

crooked windows wrote:What will it do to your eyes? It looks as though the screens will be about 15cm max from your eyes, and 4 hours of that :o
STILL WANT IT though.

when you use the Oculus your eyes aren't focussed on 15cm in front of you, they are focussed on something way beyond that (or even infinity? I don't know). It's still a problem apparently, according to this thread: https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... =26&t=3423
Firestarter
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:42 am

Krogoth wrote:Yes, that is typically that amount of time for something like the new generation of VR headsets to catch on if they ever do. IMO, their biggest problem is trying to appeal to the mainstream market. At this stage, they are nothing more than a fancy novelty toy for geeks and hardcore hobbyists.

Look how long it took for 2Megapxiel displays to become commonplace and 4 Megapixel displays to a lesser extent? Almost a decade. SSDs took a while before hitting critical mass. They existed back in 80s, but the cost of flash memory made it cost-prohibitive for mainstream market. It wasn't after many node shrinks and several other advances in flash media that allow SSDs to become affordable to mainstream during early 2000s. First-generation SSDs had a number of aching issues that were ironed out in second and third-generation units. Multi-core CPUs took a while before becoming commonplace and mainstream software to take advantage of them.

VR headsets faced their own set of technology hurdles that will have to overcome in order to get widespread adoption.

Not much has fundamentally changed in the computing world in the past five years. Just more miniaturization (CPUs and form factors) and scaling-up existing designs (GPU/SSDs). A sharp contrast to the rapid growth seen throughout the late 80s into the early 2000s.

There's a reason for the miniaturization over the past 5 years; there was a race to get into mobile devices. Also look at the new iPad Mini, the whole retina display thing is gaining traction and forcing competitor's hands. Also, it seems that the new race is to get into your living room, and there are already semi-affordable 4K televisions for that purpose. 5 years ago the Oculus Rift wasn't possible and now it is. 5 years from now, assuming there even is an OculusVR 5 years from now and I'm willing to bet that there is, we'll be looking at 4k as old news and be looking forward to something else entirely.
Intel Core i7-875K, Asus P7P55D-E Pro, Win 7 Home Premium
MSI GTX 560 Ti OC, Mushkin 2x2GB DDR3-1333, Corsair TX650
Cooler Master Hyper 212+, Logitech Z-2300, ASUS Xonar DX
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, Dell Ultrasharp U2410, Antec P183
DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Return to General Hardware