BF4 Hardware Upgrade Questions

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

BF4 Hardware Upgrade Questions

Postposted on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:05 am

My current system specs (approximate, as I'm at work)

AMD FX-4170 4.2 ghz quad core AM3+ , (stock cooler, kicking myself now), can OC to 4.6 ghz with a little instability

Asus M5A97 R2.0 AMD 970 motherboard

HyperX Genesis 8GB DDR3-1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB)

2 TB mechanical hard drive (can't remember brand now) + 2 other smaller mechanical drives

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1 GB memory

Corsair VX550 550 Watt power supply (specs in German on English page, don't know why, so need translation link)

Audigy2 ZS soundcard

Samusng 22" 2253BW 1680x1024 monitor (sometimes 50" 720p Panasonic Plasma when I feel like living room gaming single player so my missus can watch)

Windows 7 OS

I probably can't get BF4 until Christmas, at which time I might have around $100 for an upgrade. I'd rather not upgrade the board or CPU at this time (I know I should probably get a hex core, but I've never done a CPU upgrade myself before). With boxing day/week sales, I might be able to get an SSD, another 4 gb of RAM, or a video card upgrade. Which of these would provide the best bang for my buck?

With an SSD, can I get the performance increase when keeping the OS on the mechanical drive but running BF from it, or do I need to do a fresh install of the OS on the mechanical drive?

I can still get the same kind of memory. Given the rest of the system, is another pair of the Kingstons good, or should I look at a different (faster) memory type in 2x8 gb? I've read elsewhere that BF4 eats more then 8gb of memory; is that true?

Given I'm running at max 1680x1024 (not likely to change monitor soon), would a video card upgrade be worthwhile? Would moving up to a 2 gb 650TI boost be worthwhile upgrade, or do I at least need a 660? Can my power supply handle a 660? And do I either have to put the OS in out-of-box mode or do a fresh OS install if I want to move to a worthwhile AMD card, or is a driver uninstall enough? Which AMD card would provide an inexpensive upgrade over the 650 TI?

Thanks, everyone!
Ustauk
Gerbil

Re: BF4 Hardware Upgrade Questions

Postposted on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:52 am

A 650Ti Boost is very close to a 660 in performance. I run a 650Ti Boost in my son's rig, and it played BF3 on ultra, getting about 50fps. Not sure if it would be worth the upgrade over your 650Ti, though.

Your powersupply could handle a 660.

If you get an SSD, you'd probably want to put windows on it, as well as BF4. You don't necessarily need to do a fresh install. There is migrating software that will copy your windows partition from your harddrive to your SSD, even if windows partition is bigger than the SSD. Of course, it is always best to do a fresh install, I'm just saying that if for some reason that is too inconvenient, there are ways around it (I did it that way when installing an SSD in my HTPC).

don't bother upgrading your memory. 8GB of the 1600mhz you have will be plenty.

I guess your best bet is to look at upgrading your video card. That would give you the best performance upgrade. An SSD would cut down on load times, but would be of absolutely NO benefit once in-game.
My Rig: Z77A-G45; 3770K; H80i; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI GTX770 Gaming; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 500GB WD Black; PC&C 750W PS; CM 690II Advanced;
Great_Big_Abyss
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:10 pm

If it were me, I would definitely get an SSD. The benefit is huge and very noticeable. But as the previous poster said, it won't help your framerate one bit in BF4. But honestly, I don't think any graphics card you'll be able to buy for ~$100 (even considering holiday sales) will offer enough improvement over your card to be worth it, unless maybe you find a really incredibly good deal on a 270X. The difference between a 650 Ti Boost and a 660 is too negligible to warrant spending $100, in my opinion.
weaktoss
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Two things- your CPU is too slow- really. It's a dual-module AMD part, and it's not much faster than a dual-core Intel part, for those things that it actually is faster at. BF4 multiplayer needs all the CPU you can give it, and then some.

An SSD will improve the experience immensely. I mean a whole fricking lot. For instance, I can live with running Skyrim off an old WD Green, but BF3 is horrifically slow loading off of a spinner. Just make sure to get 256GB, and to move your 'user' directories (those that contain desktop, media, documents, and so on) over to the HD to prevent accidental 'spills' onto the SSD.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:38 pm

Don't forget to upgrade your OS to Win8 - it will make a difference if you have a DX11 (or better) video card.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:22 pm

JohnC wrote:Don't forget to upgrade your OS to Win8 - it will make a difference if you have a DX11 (or better) video card.

Ugg, I'd rather not :( I hope they'll optimize BF4 for Win7 for retail, given it still has a large install base.
Ustauk
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:26 pm

They do optimize for all supported OSes, but they cannot port DX11.1 to Win7...
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:21 pm

I managed to score a copy of BF4 yesterday (2013-11-11) on a trade any used 360/PS3/WiiU game for a new copy of BF4 (among others). (Traded Shadowrun, since I don't have XBox Live).

I didn't get much of a chance to play, but the game seemed to be running smoothly at 1680x1050 with most settings on high and all AF and AA settings off. Worlds better then in beta. I did notice the load times seemed atrocious, even more so then BF3. I'll try and defrag my hard drive tonight, and I may try and clear some space on a a secondary drive to run it from a different drive then the OS drive. If that doesn't help, and my RAM usage isn't exceeding my physical RAM (have to check tonight), I'm leaning towards getting an SSD at Christmas.

Any one already upgraded to premium and have a spare China Rising key from the deluxe addition to spare?
Ustauk
Gerbil

Return to General Hardware