USB drive issue

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

USB drive issue

Postposted on Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:11 pm

I have a Sandisk 8GB USB 2.0 drive - a brand I've used for years, replacing them as I lose them. I'm happy though I know there are faster USB flag drives available.

Under Windows 8.1, the drive is not identified by my Asus p8p67 pro or by a Dell 7010 running Win7 at work. It is sometimes recognized by my laptops running Win 8.0. There have been no bios changes, just the OS update on the Asus box. the Dell box is new as of late Sept. 2013.

The same thing happens with a Sandisk USB 2 4GB drive too.

I don't care about an OS drive, have run FAT only on the USB drives. Might I be better running NFTS or FAT32? (I don't sneaker net large files.)

Any ideas or similar experiences? This was easy and smooth for me for years now.
ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Re: USB drive issue

Postposted on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Do you mean it works intermittently now on multiple computers, while it used to work okay in the past on one of these computers? Sounds like it's going bad.

I wouldn't use NTFS unless I needed >4GB files. FAT is simpler and more compatible on non-Windows OSes.
meerkt
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Have you checked for pocket lint?
Deanjo
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi. No lint issue - and it previously worked on every computer I plugged it into, now both the 8GB and the 4GB are wonky on all three of these machines.

They are both about a year old but the 8GB has never been near full (usually under 1GB) and neither drive is heavily used. (Lots of word files mainly) Early to be used up in my experience.

Alas, might be both of them are going bad - but unlikely I'd think.

Anybody else have such troubles?
ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:46 pm

Not me, but I don't use UFDs much. An idea: maybe one of the machines has a bad port that ruined them?

I'd try other UFDs to see how that works, backup, and proceed using these two with caution.
meerkt
Gerbil

Return to General Hardware