4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:42 pm

Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Timmins, ON Canada, Yes I know, Up in the sticks

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:46 pm

~184 DPI, still less than a 1280x800 7" tablet.

Trollolol
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: In my head...

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:38 pm

woohooo!!

No price mentioned, yet. :-?
I'm gonna guess between $999 and $1999.
Last edited by danny e. on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:46 pm

30" please? 24" would feel small...
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil
 
Posts: 4991
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:48 pm

Airmantharp wrote:30" please? 24" would feel small...

There are already several 30" 4K monitors.
24" is the new hotness. Thankfully.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:49 pm

Airmantharp wrote:30" please? 24" would feel small...

I hear that. I tried using a 40" TV as my display before it went upstairs and all the sudden my 24" mon feels tiny and pathetic.

Sadly I'll probably end up with a 27", but gotta build my Kaveri before I even consider it.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Between desert and tundra

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:02 am

I suppose I should have known better, but I got a U2713HM about 8 months ago. I didn't expect 4k to move forward SO fast, but tbh the pixel pitch on my monitor is very sharp for desktop distance. 4k still has some weirdness to it though as far as refresh and proper video card support, but I expect that will be ironed out in a year or so.

What will be interesting to see going forward is how video cards might change. With so much tighter pixel pitch, AA means a lot less but other parts of the GPU need more die space. But then such a card would not be optimal for more normal resolutions. Or maybe not? If cards just need to be able to support the output resolution, and current very high-end cards struggle with 4k anyway...oh well, I like my monitor.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: In my head...

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:31 am

That's the last thing I cared about on my 24". Pixel density never was an issue.

Now, 4k on 32" make sense. To bad those start at 3500$

Now, I hear the seiki might offer HDMI 2 upgrade for their 480$ 4k 39" model...
If their HDMI 2 model is under 800$ that will be my next monitor, even so I have a dell u3014..
This 30" display is just so disappointing...
sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:05 am

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:20 am

24" will be to small, I am used to my 27" catleaps
wkstar
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:03 am

sschaem wrote: To bad those start at 3500$

wkstar wrote:24" will be to small, I am used to my 27" catleaps

I would have gone to the store but the store is too far away.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:08 pm

TechPowerUp says there's a 28" model coming also.
They also claim the 24" will be $1,400 and the 28" 4K monitor will be < $1000.
Appears the 28" wont have some of the same higher-end features.

http://www.techpowerup.com/195282/dell- ... model.html
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:52 pm

kyboshed
Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 5:48 am
Location: Newcastle

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:51 pm

That 28"er will likely be perfect... I need three, with G-Sync, and four GTX780Ti's in rumored 12GB guise...
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil
 
Posts: 4991
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Airmantharp wrote:That 28"er will likely be perfect... I need three, with G-Sync, and four GTX780Ti's in rumored 12GB guise...

The 28" is rumoured to be not "UP" and may not even have the Ultrasharp moniker. So we can infer that the panel is not going to be as good. :(
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24360
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:That 28"er will likely be perfect... I need three, with G-Sync, and four GTX780Ti's in rumored 12GB guise...

The 28" is rumoured to be not "UP" and may not even have the Ultrasharp moniker. So we can infer that the panel is not going to be as good. :(

Dell Press Release wrote:The UltraSharp 28 Ultra HD Monitor (P2815Q) will be available in early 2014.

So, it will probably still be decent. One can hope.
Considering they still sell their 30" 2560x1600 monitor for $1250, though... I expect the 28" 4K monitor to be skimping somewhere
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:45 pm

danny e. wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:That 28"er will likely be perfect... I need three, with G-Sync, and four GTX780Ti's in rumored 12GB guise...

The 28" is rumoured to be not "UP" and may not even have the Ultrasharp moniker. So we can infer that the panel is not going to be as good. :(

Dell Press Release wrote:The UltraSharp 28 Ultra HD Monitor (P2815Q) will be available in early 2014.

So, it will probably still be decent. One can hope.
Considering they still sell their 30" 2560x1600 monitor for $1250, though... I expect the 28" 4K monitor to be skimping somewhere

The rumoured prices gave it away? From the techpowerup article:

UP3214Q = $ 3499
P2815Q = $ 1000
UP2414Q = $ 1399

Nope, I am not holding out much hope.
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24360
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:05 pm

If it's 8-bit IPS and has DP, I'm good- if it's TN/some bastardization of VA, well, they can keep it.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil
 
Posts: 4991
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:28 am

Airmantharp wrote:If it's 8-bit IPS and has DP, I'm good- if it's TN/some bastardization of VA, well, they can keep it.


TN unlikely.

I believe Sharp and a few others helped develop IGZO (Indium Gallium Zinc Oxide) panels which allows these high resolutions. Sharp also has VA type panels, whereas LG has IPS, Samsung now has PLS which is basically the same as IPS, and some manufacturers have improved VA where it is very close to IPS.

Thing is Dell, Asus and everyone else does not mention the panel type or manufacturer.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Timmins, ON Canada, Yes I know, Up in the sticks

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:10 am

anotherengineer wrote: Thing is Dell, Asus and everyone else does not mention the panel type or manufacturer.

Huh?

Panel Type, Surface:
IGZO LCD, In-plane switching, anti glare with hard coat 3H

TechSpecs:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=210-ACBL
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:52 am

Wirko
Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:38 am
Location: Central Europe

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:55 am

Wirko wrote:A German retailer was eager enough to list the price.

http://www.mediafrost.de/s01.php?shopid=s01&cur=eur&sp=en&ag=1&pp=aa&zu=,4,19,20,8,&bnr=2315

The dell press release linked above listed the prices for the the 32" and 24" and stated the 28" would be < $1000.


Dell Press Release wrote:Availability and Pricing
The Dell UltraSharp 32 Ultra HD Monitor (UP3214Q) is available globally starting at $3,499. The Dell UltraSharp 24 Ultra HD Monitor (UP2414Q) is now available in the Americas, starting at $1,399. It will be available worldwide on December 16. The UltraSharp 28 Ultra HD Monitor (P2815Q) will be available in early 2014.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:23 pm

danny e. wrote:
anotherengineer wrote: Thing is Dell, Asus and everyone else does not mention the panel type or manufacturer.

Huh?

Panel Type, Surface:
IGZO LCD, In-plane switching, anti glare with hard coat 3H

TechSpecs:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=210-ACBL


I'm talking about an actual part number, and don't believe everything you read.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=210-ABIH
dells tech specs
Panel Type, Surface:
In-plane switching, anti glare with hard coat 3H

When in fact
go to panel and backlighting here
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_p2714h.htm

I rest my case
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Timmins, ON Canada, Yes I know, Up in the sticks

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:57 pm

anotherengineer wrote:I'm talking about an actual part number, and don't believe everything you read.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=210-ABIH
dells tech specs
Panel Type, Surface:
In-plane switching, anti glare with hard coat 3H

When in fact
go to panel and backlighting here
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_p2714h.htm

I rest my case

Even the TFT Central article said IPS and PLS are close enough technologies that they don't fault Dell too much for the "error". Now if the panel is actually TN instead of IPS/PLS, then that will be a bigger issue.
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24360
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:24 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:I'm talking about an actual part number, and don't believe everything you read.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=210-ABIH
dells tech specs
Panel Type, Surface:
In-plane switching, anti glare with hard coat 3H

When in fact
go to panel and backlighting here
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_p2714h.htm

I rest my case

Even the TFT Central article said IPS and PLS are close enough technologies that they don't fault Dell too much for the "error". Now if the panel is actually TN instead of IPS/PLS, then that will be a bigger issue.


I agree. However it is something to be aware of though.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Timmins, ON Canada, Yes I know, Up in the sticks

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:28 pm

For regular usage, PLS might as well be IPS- but PLS is more like VA when it comes to panel uniformity and input latency.

That means that for people like me who use their primary display for gaming and photo work, IPS is miles ahead.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil
 
Posts: 4991
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Re: 4k at 24" monitor...it's coming....

Postposted on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:34 am

More info on the 28" 4k....under a grand?!?!

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/camp ... l=en&s=bsd
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Timmins, ON Canada, Yes I know, Up in the sticks


Return to General Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests