Mouse dissapears when I wake up Win8

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Mouse dissapears when I wake up Win8

Postposted on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:36 pm

When I leave my computer for a time it goes into sleep mode. I can wake it up, but the mouse cursor is gone. The only way to get the cursor back is to unplug and replug in the mouse a few times, and Win8 will eventually give me the cursor back. This happens with my new Logitech G700 in both wireless and wired mode, but it does not happen with my tried and true MX518. I got the G700 on a few recommendations here, so does anyone have any idea what could be causing the problem?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Re: Mouse dissapears when I wake up Win8

Postposted on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:17 pm

I don't have a Win8 machine handy to look at, but I would start by going into Power Options in the control panel, change plan settings, and then "Advanced Power Options". Dig through all the sections, paying particular attention to anything USB. I would also look in the Device Manager. If you right click on your mouse and click Properties, some of them have a "Power Management" tab.

Also make sure you have the latest Setpoint installed.
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:17 am

The problem sounds reminiscent of this.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Just woke up my computer, and lo, My MX518 wasn't recognized. My first thought was that the mobo I have has trashy USB support (thanks, ASRock), but then I read this thread. The Linux issue does seem similar, and I went to Device Manager to see what power options I could find. I disabled the 'HID Device -- Logitech Virtual Mouse' in Device Manager, since it doesn't seem necessary to the mouse functioning properly (even with all its cool buttons) and that device was set to be turned off by Windows in order to save power. Perhaps Windows was forgetting to turn it on again. I suppose we'll see.
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:33 am

I tried everything suggested and linked to, but with no success. It is the most infuriating thing -- sometimes I have to restart my computer via keyboard commands when I wake up my system because it refuses to recognize the mouse upon waking.

Are there any other suggestions for fixing this problem, besides buying a new motherboard?
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:42 am

FireGryphon wrote:I tried everything suggested and linked to, but with no success. It is the most infuriating thing -- sometimes I have to restart my computer via keyboard commands when I wake up my system because it refuses to recognize the mouse upon waking.

Are there any other suggestions for fixing this problem, besides buying a new motherboard?

Actually now that I think about it, my old Razer Lachesis does this about 1 out of every 50 times I wake up my machine. It's completely random, and sometimes it'll happen twice in a week, or go several months without happening. In my case, I think it's the mouse, because it's continued across multiple machines, and with Windows 7. I guess it hasn't gotten annoying enough yet for me to get to the bottom of it. Of course, it doesn't really happen frequently or consistently enough for me to test for solutions either. Okay, fine, I'm just lazy.

In your case, I think replacing the motherboard is a little extreme. It's some sort of quirk with the USB power settings, or possibly a quirk with the Logitech receiver. I'm sure you've tried switching the mouse off/on with the switch on the bottom. Have you also looked through the power options in your BIOS? Maybe try a different set of USB ports if there's more than one controller?
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:13 pm

It happens every time? Are you using an 8-series Intel chipset? Because you're perfectly describing the Z87 chipset bug all C1 stepping Haswell generation motherboards have http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/20 ... t-bug.aspx
Kougar
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:46 pm

Kougar wrote:It happens every time? Are you using an 8-series Intel chipset? Because you're perfectly describing the Z87 chipset bug all C1 stepping Haswell generation motherboards have http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/20 ... t-bug.aspx

Darnit... I have the latest BIOS from ASRock, and the issue isn't fixed. Does this mean my board is doomed?
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:12 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
Kougar wrote:It happens every time? Are you using an 8-series Intel chipset? Because you're perfectly describing the Z87 chipset bug all C1 stepping Haswell generation motherboards have http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/20 ... t-bug.aspx

Darnit... I have the latest BIOS from ASRock, and the issue isn't fixed. Does this mean my board is doomed?

Actually your situation does not describe the C1 stepping bug for a few reasons. 1. The bug only applies to USB 3. 2. Let's assume you are using a USB 3 port anyway, the problem with the mouse would always be corrected by simply unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in again. No need for a reboot.

I've got an early model Z87 chipset board from Asus that occassionaly has USB recognition issues at bootup.. but only at bootup (e.g. going thorugh the UEFI screen and actually booting). The issues are always resolved with an unplug/plug sequence. I suspend the machine all the time and I've never had a failure of the mouse or keyboard on resume.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:32 pm

Replugging is usually the way I fix the issue. Every once in a while that won't work. My point is, I shouldn't even have to do that. I want to ensure there is no software fix before purchasing a new board -- it's annoying about to me that I'd spend $100 to fix it.
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:47 pm

FireGryphon wrote:Replugging is usually the way I fix the issue. Every once in a while that won't work. My point is, I shouldn't even have to do that. I want to ensure there is no software fix before purchasing a new board -- it's annoying about to me that I'd spend $100 to fix it.

Put it in a USB 2.0 slot.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX770 SC ACX | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 8 x64
yogibbear
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:54 pm

Does the problem go away if you attach the mouse through a powered hub? That might be a cheaper fix than a new motherboard.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:21 pm

I have a SteelSeries MLG, and see (something like) this problem when I connect it to any USB 3 port, or certain USB 2 ports, depending on the machine.

It could be a design issue with these mice, or their firmware. Two different MLG mice have the same issues in the same ports, both with their original firmware and after having been updated to the latest. I get similar behavior on 3 different motherboards: a Gigabyte H77, an ASRock H87 and a SuperMicro C226, all of which have the latest BIOS. It happens whether they are running Linux Mint (Ubuntu clone), CentOS, Win 7 or Win 8.1.

In all of these cases, after hunting around, I can find a USB 2 port where the mouse is happy after boot, waking from sleep, or through a reboot. Some machine/port combinations work some of the time, and some fail every time. Once I find the "magic" port, they work every time. In the cases where it fails, the mouse either doesn't light up at all, or flashes rapidly. After the machine is up, unplugging then replugging the mouse will make it work in any port (but that's annoying).
MarkG509
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:07 am

I don't have a powered hub. The only thing I haven't tried is a USB 2.0 port, but even if that works, this means I can't use any of my USB 3 ports for anything that stays plugged into my computer. Considering the USB 3 ports are on the back of the system, I won't be using them for plugging and unplugging things on a regular basis. This will render most of my USB 3 ports useless, so a new mobo with a working chipset is probably best.

How does this stuff pass QC?
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:21 am

FireGryphon wrote:This will render most of my USB 3 ports useless
Is it just the mouse, or other stuff too? The only thing I've ever had a problem with specific port/device combinations was these mice I mention above.
MarkG509
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:03 am

FireGryphon wrote:I don't have a powered hub. The only thing I haven't tried is a USB 2.0 port, but even if that works, this means I can't use any of my USB 3 ports for anything that stays plugged into my computer. Considering the USB 3 ports are on the back of the system, I won't be using them for plugging and unplugging things on a regular basis. This will render most of my USB 3 ports useless, so a new mobo with a working chipset is probably best.

Seems a bit bizarre that you'd rather go through all the work and added expense of changing out a motherboard, but to each their own. If it were me, I'd be checking the BIOS power options, switching it to a USB 2.0 port, and if that didn't work, trying a $10 powered hub that others have suggested. In the end, it might just be a quirk with that particular mouse or wireless receiver.

But if you do go through with replacing the board, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:30 am

Are all your mice Logitech? I had to give up on Logitech due to a bug I could never squash. Once I moved to a different brand all was fine. Now I have almost a couple of hundred dollars of Logitech mice sitting around. :(
My Johnson
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:40 am

FireGryphon wrote:How does this stuff pass QC?

Intel found the issue before Haswell launched, but didn't want to halt the launch or go through an expensive recall since chips had already begun shipping for board production. It would've also likely meant delaying the launch while they spun up C2 stepping chips. Granted it's not a huge bug (I never standby or sleep my desktop given how poorly device drivers used to be at handling it, or Windows itself for that matter) so there's points to be made on either side of if there should've been a recall.

FireGryphon wrote:I don't have a powered hub. The only thing I haven't tried is a USB 2.0 port, but even if that works, this means I can't use any of my USB 3 ports for anything that stays plugged into my computer. Considering the USB 3 ports are on the back of the system, I won't be using them for plugging and unplugging things on a regular basis. This will render most of my USB 3 ports useless, so a new mobo with a working chipset is probably best.

I would suggest that ya should just turn off the computer and don't use the sleep mode if it's causing hassles for you? The bug doesn't occur when the system boots, just with sleep mode. And if ya have an SSD then the boot & windows load process itself is just seconds. Most boards do have USB 2.0 ports left, there's no advantage to having a USB 2 mouse in a USB 3 port so switching just the mouse & keyboard over shouldn't impact anything unless ya just don't have the ports to do so.
Kougar
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:22 am

FireGryphon wrote:I don't have a powered hub.

A decent one costs $15 (a lot less than a new motherboard).

FireGryphon wrote:The only thing I haven't tried is a USB 2.0 port, but even if that works, this means I can't use any of my USB 3 ports for anything that stays plugged into my computer.

Just because the mouse doesn't wake up doesn't mean nothing else plugged into those ports will either. We still don't know if this is a problem specific to Logitech mice when plugged into this motherboard's USB 3.0 ports, or if it affects *everything* plugged into these ports, or even whether it is an issue with Logitech mice and USB 3.0 ports in general. Seems a little premature to be spending $100 just to try it out to see if it helps; why not start with the potentially free and $15 fixes instead?

OTOH if you're just looking for an excuse to buy a new motherboard (I can't think of any other reason that you would not want to try other potentially more cost-effective solutions), then by all means go ahead. But if the issue turns out to be related to use of these mice on (any) USB 3.0 ports, you may find that you still have the same problem!
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:41 am

If it's the Z87 bug you might be able to get around it by disabling S3 sleep in your BIOS.
jihadjoe
Gerbil Team Leader

Return to General Hardware