HP support (read: downloads) to require a contract

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

HP support (read: downloads) to require a contract

Postposted on Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:54 pm

Dunno if anyone saw this:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1 ... clampdown/
http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/h ... .199480143
http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/h ... cachetoken

I get a bunch of older HP servers due to cost and the fact that issues have been worked out with firmware updates in the years since their release. However, it looks like that strategy will no longer work as I won't be able to get firmware updates without active support contracts.

It makes sense. I was about to get all of our servers under contract and the "return to support" was about $1k. Got approval for it and 2 months later it is now $2.5K. The guy I am working with pretty much stonewalled me and said, "too bad". So now I'm looking into alternative 3rd party support ( http://www.3phw.com/ ) and it makes sense. Jack up the prices and cut out 3rd parties. Great. Just great.

I love HP hardware and liked their support. I'm starting to rethink moving away from SuperMicro to HP. I guess Dell does the same? But I got firmware updates just fine for older Dell stuff (PE2900, some PoE switches) just a year ago.
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: HP support (read: downloads) to require a contract

Postposted on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Dell doesn't charge for drivers or firmware updates for servers. They just charge for hardware replacement and tech support. You can run Dell equipment without support, but you'll have to source parts and troubleshoot yourself. Of course, Dell encourages people to troubleshoot the problem themselves, and they provide a lot of tools and resources to help.

I've been very happy with Dell. HP servers are nicer, but I wouldn't want to deal with HP's sh*t.

I run a mixture of whiteboxes and Dell. I like the whiteboxes for their configurability, and I like Dell for their support.
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:35 am

Well I just got an email today from IBM saying the same thing for their products.

Seems they are all working to put updates behind a paywall.

<edit out bad grammar>
Arvald
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:22 am

Methinks this has a large part in the change in HP's need to monetize previously-free services:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-1 ... edown.html
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:47 am

HP has been thrashing around for several years now. Only time will tell if they will get back on track, or if the current thrashing is the beginning of their death spasms. It is sad to see a once mighty tech giant fall like this. HP used to be highly respected; almost as much so as another fallen "old school" tech powerhouse, Bell Labs.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:49 am

While I'm not a huge fan of Dell's products, it's what we use at work, and right now, this makes me pretty happy. We usually replace machines in 4-year rotations, but as of right now we have several that are approaching the 6-year mark, still in service, without support contracts.

Is it possible to get support for just one server, and use it to download updates for all your servers of the same type? I'm not sure about your environment, but we tend to purchase a lot of identical machines every few years.

If IBM is going to this model, does that mean Lenovo is doing the same?
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count
lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:56 am

I thought IBM and Lenovo severed their remaining ties a few years back?
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:29 am

lonleyppl wrote:While I'm not a huge fan of Dell's products, it's what we use at work, and right now, this makes me pretty happy. We usually replace machines in 4-year rotations, but as of right now we have several that are approaching the 6-year mark, still in service, without support contracts.

Is it possible to get support for just one server, and use it to download updates for all your servers of the same type? I'm not sure about your environment, but we tend to purchase a lot of identical machines every few years.

If IBM is going to this model, does that mean Lenovo is doing the same?

You could be it would be in direct violation of said support agreement.
Arvald
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:HP used to be highly respected; almost as much so as another fallen "old school" tech powerhouse, Bell Labs.

I remember the days when walking into any academic lab with electronic equipment meant seeing tons of HP-labeled gear. Bell Labs was our last great bastion of pure research, damn the potential ROI, and I think that we will pay for that loss in ways we still can't yet quantify.

At least I will always carry one small slice of HP's genius, the HP-12C. If you work in the financial world the 12C is a no-thought-needed extension of your dominant hand and knowledge of how to run it is not optional. Mine just needed new batteries after 18 years of daily use. I've thought about collecting one of every model in the Voyager (HP-10C) series but a couple of them (the 15C and 16C) get real pricey real quick.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:24 pm

just brew it! wrote:HP has been thrashing around for several years now. Only time will tell if they will get back on track, or if the current thrashing is the beginning of their death spasms. It is sad to see a once mighty tech giant fall like this. HP used to be highly respected; almost as much so as another fallen "old school" tech powerhouse, Bell Labs.

The upshot is that much of HP's best IP is no longer in HP -- it lives in Agilent (biomedical) and its new Keysight Technologies spinoff (Test & Measurement).
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:30 pm

ludi wrote:The upshot is that much of HP's best IP is no longer in HP -- it lives in Agilent (biomedical) and its new Keysight Technologies spinoff (Test & Measurement).

IOW, most of what I think about when I hear "HP". I'm old enough to have never really thought them a "computer" company.

Can't remember exactly which model it was, but my HS math teacher (for all 4 years if you were in the Honors track) used an HP-something calculator where she'd cut away the backing plate under the LCD display and gently rerouted any other bits so that she could slap it on an overhead projector (she never used the chalkboard, always the overhead, and ended every class covered in marker erasures) and make it display.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:59 pm

Captain Ned wrote:IOW, most of what I think about when I hear "HP". I'm old enough to have never really thought them a "computer" company.

They've been a computer company long enough though. They had their own "PC" of sorts back in the days of the Apple II; unfortunately it kind of sucked and never caught on. They were in the minicomputer market for a while too; I remember using one for a 3D graphics class in college.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:IOW, most of what I think about when I hear "HP". I'm old enough to have never really thought them a "computer" company.
They've been a computer company long enough though. They had their own "PC" of sorts back in the days of the Apple II; unfortunately it kind of sucked and never caught on.

Now that you mention that I do remember a very bizarre afternoon at the family insurance firm on a summer home from college. Some hardware vendor was trying to sell them the "latest and greatest" and in the few instances my father (CFO) and uncle (CEO) agreed on anything, they both thought that me as a current college student and presumably exposed to the latest and greatest could help them out. It was PC-based, it was HP-branded, it had a touchscreen that worked on X/Y electric eye technology, and it was the first time in my life I'd ever seen a 1.44 floppy (though I'm sure it was 720K at the time). I didn't have the heart to tell them that the beastie on the conference room table was so far out of my ken that I was out of my league as until then computers to me were PDP-8s or accounts on a VAX/VMS-based PDP-11.

They didn't buy it, and I didn't understand the box at the time.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:27 pm

That's a bit more recent than the one I was thinking of. IIRC it had funky proprietary tape cartridges (about half the size of an audio cassette) as its mass storage device; a tiny integrated monochrome screen; and a full keyboard. It was like it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a mutant oversized programmable calculator or a PC. Sort of like an ill-conceived precursor of the Osborne or the original Compaq "luggable".
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:34 pm

just brew it! wrote:That's a bit more recent than the one I was thinking of. IIRC it had funky proprietary tape cartridges (about half the size of an audio cassette) as its mass storage device; a tiny integrated monochrome screen; and a full keyboard. It was like it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a mutant oversized programmable calculator or a PC. Sort of like an ill-conceived precursor of the Osborne or the original Compaq "luggable".

This was after the 1.44 debuted, so I'm thinking the summer of '83 or '84. Pretty sure the screen was still green and it was not a "luggable", it was a full desktop. The most vivid memory from the time is being completely fascinated with the 1.44/3.5" floppy disk. I was like "you can touch this thing" without causing damage? The few 1st-gen PCs (all Apple ][(x)) in the fraternity house (rich parents) and the known unreliability of their 5.25 "real" floppies had me in awe of the simplicity of that slab of plastic.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Return to General Hardware