New Speakers

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Re: New Speakers

Postposted on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:51 pm

tsoulier wrote:Thinking about buying these today , I am not a big gamer or really need much for what I do.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6836121048

I'm a big fan of passive bookshelves and a T-Amp for budget, but nice sounding, speaker setups.

Pioneer SP-BS21-LR - $79.99

Dayton Audio DTA-1 - $44.80 (someone linked a Leipai for a cheap power amp, but I trust Dayton more when it comes to that)

Total: $124.79

Comes out cheaper than the set you linked and should sound better for 2.0. And you have the flexibility to upgrading this setup piecemeal, like adding a sub or getting better bookshelves later.
Under Construction Forever~~~
Kurotetsu
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Kurotetsu wrote:
tsoulier wrote:Thinking about buying these today , I am not a big gamer or really need much for what I do.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6836121048

I'm a big fan of passive bookshelves and a T-Amp for budget, but nice sounding, speaker setups.

Pioneer SP-BS21-LR - $79.99

Dayton Audio DTA-1 - $44.80 (someone linked a Leipai for a cheap power amp, but I trust Dayton more when it comes to that)

Total: $124.79

Comes out cheaper than the set you linked and should sound better for 2.0. And you have the flexibility to upgrading this setup piecemeal, like adding a sub or getting better bookshelves later.

The Dayton DTA-1 is a good little amp. I'm using it now with a pair of $40 Dayton B652 monitors. Now that the amp and speakers are broken in (never thought I'd say that) they get really loud and clear. With sound quality this good for this cheap, it's painful to consider something like computer speakers anymore.

Based on reviews, the Dayton DTA-1 sounds better than equitable Leipai units, though I haven't heard a Leipai in person. At the top end of tiny T-amps is Topping. Topping has some T-amps with USB input, so you can avoid using a sound card altogether -- the amp itself decodes the audio like a sound card would. They're not too pricey as far as amps go, but they're a bit out of my range right now.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:17 pm

ludi wrote:Another vote for a proper pair of powered monitors or a bookshelf+amp combo kit. A good set of 2.1s will do fine for personal theater duty or gaming (and in any case, the Best Buy exclusive Klipsch 2.1 is a hard deal to beat), but any near-field 2.1 setup severely distorts the soundfield for music.

Most people will use a 2.1 setup that way without noticing the difference, but once you've heard the imaging capabilities of a good monitor or bookshelf setup, you'll wonder how you ever thought the 2.1 system was worth the money.

I have these too, and they are fabulous. Peel paint off the walls.
Only lasted 2 years before woofer blew though.
todd
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Hate to add yet another speaker recommendation to this thread, but the Swans M50Ws are so good, I must.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_ ... 3206264c6d

A little pricey (and unfortunately only carried by the one site), but they're worth every penny.

I don't use them as computer speakers; rather, I use them to fill a living room/dining area with music. It's a very musical system, and the subwoofer blends flawlessly with the satellites. In fact, when it comes to music, I'd say they outperform my Klipch RF82/RC62/RB61 setup! The Klipch setup sounds EXACTLY like movie theater speakers. So, while they (obviously) kick major ass in movies, they tend to be a little too bright/harsh for music.

While the Swans don't have that Klipsch "crispness" that make movies sound so awesome, they handle music with an almost ridiculous amount of smoothness that the Klipsch setup can't quite match.
jackbomb
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:13 am

One more vote for any pair of decent bookshelf speakers and a stand alone amp if space is not a concern.

For years I used a Sony RS amp from 1990 and a pair of Infinity R30 bookshelf speakers I picked up on Craigslist for $80.00. If music and light gaming are in order can't really beat this if you have (or don't mind picking up) a half decent sound card like a Xonar DG or U3.

So many more options with separate components are used. I have learned so much more about my personal taste in sound with this method. If it is not a pressing matter and there is a decent Craigslist community in your area I suggest poking around the Electronics section, or looking for a used audio shop and/or pawn shop/garage sale.

Of course if you just want it to "work" and not spend time all of the previous suggestions work. Those Creative speakers are nice, picking up a T-AMP and a bookshelf pair on Amazon.com is easy enough. I'd lean toward T-AMP+Bookshelf speakers as powered studio monitors (as cool as they are) can prove to be an issue if the AMP goes. Then you can't just replace the amp but have to have the speakers serviced.
_m - likes computers
mdkathon
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:34 pm

I have a pair of powered Swan M200s - they are truly fine - on par with M Audios at a much higher price point.

They do best on stands or angled bases and show off best with some space - they are not optimal one foot in front of you on a desk - but nothing will sound so good set up this ways (which is why we have headphones of course).

Avoid the M10s - they don't sound good at all.
ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:46 pm

I love my Mackies, give these a listen if you can at Guitar Center.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mackie-MR5m ... 1823799.gc
Phartindust
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:51 am

Lots of great suggestions. I would second (third or fourth at this point?) a stereo amp and bookshelf package. I've had both ( Powered Monitors - Stereo Amp/Passives ) at one point or another plugged in and in the same sort of price range I've stuck with the stereo amp setup. It also lets you begin to dip a toe in the stereo scene which can turn into a black hole of time, energy and money - all for love.

But for $150 its tough to beat a little pair of powered monitors. I have experience with some of the smaller KRKs like the Rokits and thought they were pretty good, nice and solid. If you can find some in your budget I think its a strong option.

A lot of it is going to come down to outputting from something better than onboard sound though.
CityEater
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:56 am

Skipping most of the replies in this thread, the bookshelves almost always sound better than the studio monitors for the same money - but they require you to spend money and use space on a seperate amp. It's not just the space, it's another power socket, another mess of wiring, yada yada yada....

HiFi seperates > Studio monitors > High-end PC speakers > Most of the tat on the market.

'tis not rocket surgery ;)
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Previous

Return to General Hardware