I need 300W of 5V power for cheap. Any suggestions?

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

I need 300W of 5V power for cheap. Any suggestions?

Postposted on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:22 am

I have a very specific business need for delivering 5V USB power to an array of identical high power devices.

I've spent a lot on USB hubs. But all have died for one reason or the other.

They are not Bitcoins asics if you are wondering. They don't need to be connected to a host computer.

My first thought was to rig up a pc PSU. However most PSU deliver most of their power at 12V.

Any suggestions? I am quite handy with diy electronics and have basic tools for soldering etc.
LASR
Gerbil

Re: I need 300W of 5V power for cheap. Any suggestions?

Postposted on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:32 am

eBay's industrial section has a number of 60A 5v supplies for less than $50.
This problem was caused by Windows, which was created by Microsoft Corporation.
sluggo
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:46 pm

LASR wrote:I have a very specific business need for delivering 5V USB power to an array of identical high power devices.

I've spent a lot on USB hubs. But all have died for one reason or the other.

It would be helpful to know what you're trying to connect -- per device load, tolerance to supply voltage regulation, uptime criticality...?

You can buy ultra-cheap switchmode supplies off eBay all day long but my money would be on industrial-grade equipment with names like Allen-Bradley or Lambda. For example, this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nemic-Lambda-EW ... 19d74df078

For the 30A current you need, you would want to connect an AWG #8 copper conductor from the supply output over to a fairly hefty terminal block and then tap your discrete circuits from there. Unless you have time and patience to dig through industrial supply catalogs or the electrical aisle at Home Depot, a car audio shop will be your best bet for sourcing cable and distribution blocks with the correct ratings.

Keep in mind you can start a fire with this project unless you know how to size and assemble wires and terminations at the correct current ratings.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:57 pm

The PC Power&Cooling TurboCool 510 XE puts out 40A at 5V. Its one of the only PSU's left that still has the huge 5V amperage needed to run my old MSI K7D Master-L motherboard and dual AMD 2.0GHz Barton 2600+ MPs'.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE | MSI 790FX-GD70 | 4x2GB DDR3 | 3 x Intel X25-M G2 | Samsung Series 830 | XFX Radeon HD 7870 | BenQ FP241VW 24" | Grado SR80 | Logitech G710+ | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | WinXP64 | Back-UPS NS 1250
Mr Bill
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Yeah, knowing what you're trying to connect would be useful, or at least knowing how many devices you are powering (therefore giving us the number of feeds you need).

My first reaction is, whatever you end up doing, fuse the circuits. 60A is a whole lot of current, and that might be factoring in to your dying USB hubs. A circuit breaker might save a few hubs, and if you go with a DIY solution, you are definitely going to want something to protect your devices.
Being an adult doesn't mean you have to know what you're doing. It just means you have to look like you know what you're doing.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to General Hardware