Internet speed?

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Internet speed?

Postposted on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:40 pm

I am moving and I like to game. My current company has 30 mbps as the base speed. I like to game on FPS shooters. My wife might watch a Netflix. What is minimum speed for just a playing FPS shooters/ I always thought about 7 mbps but I'm not even sure I can get that.
Windows8.1 Pro 64 bit, Antec EA650 Power Supply, ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard, I5 3570K processor, 8 gigs of Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 ram, Kingston HyperX 3K 240 gig SSD, Asus GTX660, Cooler Master Storm Scout case
Pville_Piper
Gerbil First Class

Re: Internet speed?

Postposted on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:46 pm

7 is fine. Gaming requires very little bandwidth, it's all about latency, and while that tends to go down some with increase in speed, that's not an absolute rule and the law of diminishing returns sets in fast (esp. by ~10mbps).
AntiSp4wn
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:00 am

A lot of what I'm seeing is 1.5 to 3.. Hard to believe I live in Alabama and am moving Virginia (A larger town) and can't get similar speed.
Windows8.1 Pro 64 bit, Antec EA650 Power Supply, ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard, I5 3570K processor, 8 gigs of Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 ram, Kingston HyperX 3K 240 gig SSD, Asus GTX660, Cooler Master Storm Scout case
Pville_Piper
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:20 am

AntiSp4wn wrote:7 is fine. Gaming requires very little bandwidth, it's all about latency, and while that tends to go down some with increase in speed, that's not an absolute rule and the law of diminishing returns sets in fast (esp. by ~10mbps).

I watch my network speeds via rainmeter while gaming on steam. During gameplay, I never see the download speed go above ~35 kBps. Changing maps does use more bandwidth though.
Internet is fast enough for most people now.
Like what you said, what you want to concern yourself with is your network setup (cable modem, router, wificards/LAN cards) to minimize latency and bottlenecks when serving multiple users.
I like Windows 8.
Seriously.
chµck
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:51 am

AntiSp4wn wrote:7 is fine. Gaming requires very little bandwidth, it's all about latency, and while that tends to go down some with increase in speed, that's not an absolute rule and the law of diminishing returns sets in fast (esp. by ~10mbps).

agreed, its a common misconception, but one that ISPs do nothing to discourage. pay more, get "better" service, except you don't. bandwidth is the size of pipe, but gaming doesn't require a big pipe(nor does netflix for that matter). stay away from services like clearwire which involve radio transmission and data conversion. its susceptible to packet loss and interference also. aside from that, most services will give you decent latency results, but its not hard to google around and see if anyone has an opinion on your new ISP before you decide (assuming you actually do have choices)

you can also check speedtest.net's database at http://www.speedtest.net/location-performance to see who the best choice might be. they do millions of speedtests every day so they should have a decently accurate sample even if they don't have a test center in your city.
Diplomacy42
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:45 am

Diplomacy42 wrote:you can also check speedtest.net's database at http://www.speedtest.net/location-performance to see who the best choice might be. they do millions of speedtests every day so they should have a decently accurate sample even if they don't have a test center in your city.

Those speedtest results don't list latency, which is what the OP is looking for. The results for my area are also unrealistically high. I'm sure ISPs automatically increase speed if they detect a customer is connecting to a speedtest server. My methods are less than scientific, but with the speeds my friends and I are getting, there's no way my ISP is faster than the national average and hitting 99% of its rated speed. The real numbers are much lower.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks all for the info... I feel better about the move now. Funny thing happened today, my nephew decided he wanted to replace my router and went out and bought a new NetGear dual band and a dual band USB Wi-FI connection. After we put it in my connection really didn't changed with a ping test. I'm hooked directly with the router on a Cat5 cable. Using his new Wi-FI connection he got better pings than I did! I never would have believed it if I didn't see it my self.
His pings to Atlanta were 10 ms and mine were 22 ms and his download speeds were about 8 Mbps faster.
Pville_Piper
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:56 pm

1.5mbps with a good ping should be just fine for gaming. Certainly 3mbps would have you covered. For streaming Netflix and such, I'd probably want 6mbps.
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:47 pm

Everybody seems to forget that we were all playing FPS games back when 768/128k was fast DSL. A high bandwidth connection allows you to do more things in parallel before your latency starts to suffer greatly. Gaming on a 3Mbps connection to a nearby server (low latency) will be perfectly fine. Gaming on that same connection while the wife is streaming Netflix will suck. Gaming on a 5Mbps connection while someone is streaming would be pretty iffy.

If you really must support those two activities at the same time, look for a router that will let you priority traffic by source/destination address. Set traffic coming from the gaming system at higher priority than the Netflix box. That will help to some degree.

--SS
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Return to General Hardware