Trouble Finding Larger Bluetooth Keyboard

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Trouble Finding Larger Bluetooth Keyboard

Postposted on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:23 am

Hey guys. I recently picked up a Nexus 7 tablet, with its main intended purpose to be for taking notes in class. Obviously I'm going to need a bluetooth keyboard, but so far I have become incredibly frustrated in my search. The problem is that I have very large hands, and every bluetooth keyboard I've found is laughably tiny. Basically, I can't even fit my hands on the home row, or get any functional use out of them. Obviously I don't expect the same level of comfort as with a MS Natural keyboard, but I was hoping to find something at least 14" laptop size.

Another issue is that I can't use anything with gaps between the keys (example: most Logitech wireless kbs). The gaps are very disorienting to me, and I constantly lose my finger placement. I should also mention that I've tried the MS Sculpt keyboard (it looked very promising at first), but couldn't get used to the curvature. So basically I need:

• No gaps between the keys
  • No curved keyboards
  • Something large enough to be used by an adult male
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Re: Trouble Finding Larger Bluetooth Keyboard

Postposted on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:22 pm

The gap could be an issue, but have you tried looking at the Thinkpad compact bluetooth keyboard. You will have to deal with the Trackpoint though. From what I have been using with Lenovo's "island" design (T430s), I never lose the home row because of the substantial tab on the F and J keys.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:29 pm

Apparently USB keyboards work with the Nexus 7. Personally I think it'd be hilarious to use a USB Model M with it. :D
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:44 pm

have you checked out the logitech ps3 mediaboard? http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-PlayStat ... B000W5RBQE

it has a nonstandard key layout (there's a mouse-left/mouse-right click button where the start button would normally be, and the media keys are mapped to random letters), but it's decent to type on and it's pretty much the size of a regular 101-key keyboard. i used it a lot when i had a computer hooked up to my TV - it pairs like any other bluetooth keyboard.

macally makes a range of bluetooth keyboards (among other items) - i can't vouch for their products personally but they're fairly well-regarded as far as 3rd party mac accessories go. here's one that might fit the bill: http://www.amazon.com/Macally-BTKey-Wir ... h+keyboard . I think that the start/command key maps to the home button on android, but it's been a while since i sold my nexus 7 so i don't remember exactly.

I can vouch that the amazonbasics bluetooth keyboards work with pretty much every tablet/phone i tried them on: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Blue ... B005EOWBKE but i don't know if that's quite large enough for your needs. they make an android-specific version as well.

bthylafh wrote:Apparently USB keyboards work with the Nexus 7. Personally I think it'd be hilarious to use a USB Model M with it. :D

that's another option. USB on-the-go adapters for the nexus 7 are fairly cheap, and from what I've seen on google it's just a matter of finding a USB keyboard that doesn't draw too much current from the USB port. they're also handy for attaching USB thumb drives, if you need more space.
Last edited by tu2thepoo on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tu2thepoo
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:52 pm

What about the keyboard half of Bluetooth keyboard & mouse combos? Are any of these suitable? (though most of them are out of production)

Logitech MX5500
Logitech MX5000
Logitech diNovo Edge
Logitech diNovo Media Desktop
TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:55 pm

I second the Logitech MX5500, I use it with my HTPC. The batteries on the keyboard last 6+ months and it should fit in a backpack.
SN95G5v3/A64 3500+ 2.2ghz@1.2v 800mhz@0.8v/1gb Geil UltraX/Seagate 250gb/Seagate 320gb/Liteon DVD/XFX 6600GT/2x2005FPW
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.
dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:47 am

Thanks for all the info guys. Those Logitech models look very nice, but apparently they're all discontinued and have insane prices. The PS3 keyboard looks pretty decent, though it's a tad expensive and I'm not sure I'd use the touchpad. The Macally is acceptable, though there are alot of reviews about them dying quickly. I'd probably be leaning toward the PS3 model out of the pack.

Very interesting about being able to use USB keyboards. I wasn't aware this could be done with the Nexus 7, though I don't think I'd go that route except as a last resort. An adapter would just be something for me to accidentally break off or damage.

I'll keep looking myself, but I'm still interested to see any other keyboards that fit the criteria. Thanks for the help
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:12 am

Losergamer04
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:58 pm

Losergamer04 wrote:Have you tried the Apple keyboards?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... jj11eAxoZ0

Well, the new models have large gaps between the keys, so those are out. However, I found that the really old A1016 model looks quite decent. Unfortunately it's not sold anymore, so I'd have to buy used off of Ebay. There's also some question as to whether it would work with a newer, or non-Apple device. I read about alot of people having trouble pairing it with new iPads.

It really is sad how much difficulty I'm having just trying to find a standard size bluetooth keyboard at a reasonable price. I don't know how anyone over the age of 10 can type on these things.
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Return to General Hardware