is 120 gb ssd sufficiant for a dual boot setup

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

is 120 gb ssd sufficiant for a dual boot setup

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:19 am

hello, I am new here.
I have a homebuilt computer (6/2010), asus mother board, amd Athlon II x 4 cpu, 4gb ram, windows 7. recently I had problems with my hard drive ( Samsung 1tb), bad sectors and wouldn't boot. have worked that out for now. I would like to replace it with a 120 gb ssd and another hdd for storage. I would also like to partition the ssd and dual boot windows and Ubuntu. will the ssd be big enough. I would also like to mention that while I am not the most tech savvy I think I can handle this project. this is basically a general use computer, nothing fancy. any and all advice is most appreciated.
irekkin
Gerbil In Training

Re: is 120 gb ssd sufficiant for a dual boot setup

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:23 am

Oh it's plenty big enough to dual-boot those OSes and even have a few apps you use frequently on the drive. The formatted capacity will be around 112GB.

Windows will get out of hand if you have a ton of memory with creating a persistent hibernation file, but you can turn off hibernation to reclaim some of that space. I've had Windows 7 installed on drives as small as 32GB and while it was kind of cramped it was adequate. You could probably give twice that to Windows and still have 50GB (more than enough) for Ubuntu and some apps.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:27 am

For the small price difference, I would recommend going to a 240 for a dual boot scenario. 120 gets pretty cramped.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:30 am

I've installed both on 60GB drives. I will caution you that if you use Steam and Spotify on Ubuntu it places all of your files in your home directory first, so consider putting that on another drive. I have ~10GB free on my Ubuntu disk.

For Windows, you'll want to disable hibernation and tune your system restore to what you feel is acceptable. While I was able to put Steam with just TF2 on my Win7 disk, it was a tight fit. I had about 10-20GB available on both after it was all said and done.

My photos, movies, and music were always on a seperate hard drive, regardless of OS.
Losergamer04
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:50 am

wow,
thanks for the fast replies, you don't get that everywhere. the windows/Ubuntu thing is something I've wanted to do for a long time and I thought this would be a good a time as any. still trying to get my ducks in a row ( reading tutorials, reviews, asking questions, looking for software and waiting on payday). thanks.
irekkin
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:55 am

Losergamer04 wrote:I will caution you that if you use Steam and Spotify on Ubuntu it places all of your files in your home directory first, so consider putting that on another drive. I have ~10GB free on my Ubuntu disk.

In the linux Steam application you can explicitly specify multiple installation locations, which can avert the need to mount /home somewhere else or play with symlinks. I've done it, and it works fine.
Glorious
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:08 am

I know you haven't asked, but you indicated this was your first go with Ubuntu. I wanted to share a few thoughts and take aways from when I first started.

Depending on the situation and ammount of drives you have, I'd suggest possibly using two different drives. When I started off the whole boot loader thing really made it hard for me to grasp (especially once GRUB 2 showed up). If you use two seperate drives to install each OS (note: have only one connected at a time while installing) you avoid that issue altogether. Most motherboards have F+10/11/12 option to select boot media. I use this method on some systems for various reasons to this day.

If you do install on one drive, I suggest you do Windows first. If you install Ubuntu on one partition then install Windwows, it can overwrite the boot loader and not care you have Ubuntu. Ubuntu, on the other hand, adds a boot menu entry for Windows if Windows is already there.

Glorious wrote:
Losergamer04 wrote:I will caution you that if you use Steam and Spotify on Ubuntu it places all of your files in your home directory first, so consider putting that on another drive. I have ~10GB free on my Ubuntu disk.

In the linux Steam application you can explicitly specify multiple installation locations, which can avert the need to mount /home somewhere else or play with symlinks. I've done it, and it works fine.

Oh, cool! Did they always have that?
Losergamer04
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:29 am

Now my question is why do you want to dual boot? Just to try Ubuntu? If so I say virtualize it so you can save yourself the trouble of restarting the PC and so you can use Windows 7 and Ubuntu at the same time.
CPU: Intel Core-i7 2600 GPU: Nvidia GTX 770 4GB MoBo: ASRock z77 Pro4 RAM: (2x8) 16GB G.Skill 1600MHz Case: Thermaltake Commander PSU: 650W SeaSonic X SSD: 128GB Crucial M4 SSD HDD: 500GB Western Digital Green OS: Windows 7
Techgoudy
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:52 am

Techgoudy wrote:Now my question is why do you want to dual boot? Just to try Ubuntu? If so I say virtualize it so you can save yourself the trouble of restarting the PC and so you can use Windows 7 and Ubuntu at the same time.

This. Dual-booting is only necessary if both OSes need to be able to access the full capabilities of the hardware (e.g. GPU 3D acceleration), or if you're tight on RAM. Otherwise, virtualizing the OS with the less demanding use case is really the way to go. In general, I'd dual-boot only if you plan to game or run other 3D-intensive applications on both OSes.

If you decide to go the dual-boot route with the small SSD, put your Windows swap and hibernate files on a separate mechanical drive. Ditto your Ubuntu home directory and swap partition (Linux prefers to use a dedicated partition for swap, though using a regular file is also possible). You can get away with having a pretty small (10-20GB) root partition on Linux depending on what you install and how you organize things; my Linux desktop at work is currently using less than 10GB of its root partition (/home is on a separate RAID-1 array). Moving stuff like the swap partition, /home, /var, and so on off of the boot drive is also fairly straightforward if you end up needing to do it down the road.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:46 am

The key with dual-booting is to make sure the larger data disk is formatted and partitioned in a way both OS'es have a permissions/security system they can understand - that allows you to move "system" files like "program files (x86)" to other drives without getting into a permissions/ownership frenzy with non-NTFS partitions.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:25 pm

just brew it! wrote:If you decide to go the dual-boot route with the small SSD, put your Windows swap and hibernate files on a separate mechanical drive.

I don't think you can put hibernation files on non-system drives. Putting the swap on the mechanical will negate some of the benefits of the SSD though. Remember paging always happens (given enough RAM you should not be impacted as much however).
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:00 pm

I agree with Deanjo, go for a 240 or 256GB drive if the budget can handle it. You will lose almost 10 GB to formatting, then Win 7 x64 will eat up another 20-30GB, then whatever programs you have.

AutoCAD eats up several gigs now as do most games. I have a 256GB, and when I can afford it will be getting a 480-512GB drive.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:59 pm

120GB is big. I use a 128GB boot and app drive and another 256GB drive for data, both SSD. It is crazy fast.
pcunite
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:12 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
just brew it! wrote:If you decide to go the dual-boot route with the small SSD, put your Windows swap and hibernate files on a separate mechanical drive.

I don't think you can put hibernation files on non-system drives. Putting the swap on the mechanical will negate some of the benefits of the SSD though. Remember paging always happens (given enough RAM you should not be impacted as much however).

Ahh yes, I think you're right about the hibernation file. Well, disabling hibernation is always an option.

Whether or not to put the swap on the SSD really depends on how much RAM you've got, your typical workload, and the size of the SSD. If you've got enough RAM that the swap is only used lightly, I'd lean towards putting it on a mechanical since A) it isn't going to affect performance much; and B) for it to do you any good in the cases where you actually need it, it'll probably get big enough that it would chew up an appreciable percentage of the SSD anyway.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:49 pm

hey,
thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I've been over the posts several times and did a little research on some of the ideas. I wasn't familiar with virtualization but after doing some reading up I really like the idea. this would be a great way to try Ubuntu and not permanently commit to it. I am probably going to stick with the 120gb ssd for now, mainly a budget issue, I still need to pick up a middle of the road hdd and docking station. that's interesting about the hibernate file. I thought it was just soft ware that idled down your computer when not in use. well, I guess i'll do alittle more studying on this, especially considering the virtualization option. thanks again.
irekkin
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:57 pm

irekkin wrote:I wasn't familiar with virtualization but after doing some reading up I really like the idea. this would be a great way to try Ubuntu and not permanently commit to it.

I suggest you download the latest version of Oracle VirtualBox and start playing around. Feel free to start a thread (or threads) in the General Software and/or Linux forums if you need help with general virtualization or Ubuntu issues. (I use VirtualBox and Ubuntu at my day job and at home, so I am quite familiar with both.)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Return to General Hardware