Crypto-Currency Rigs

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Crypto-Currency Rigs

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:46 pm

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/insane-cr ... ning-rigs/

The images provide great context for why there is limited AMD GPUs available.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Re: Crypto-Currency Rigs

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:59 pm

I wonder if those PCIe risers are in short supply too.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:59 pm

The one with the Che Guevara poster made me lol hard.
NovusBogus
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:48 pm

I really have to wonder what sort of unintended/unforeseen consequences are going to result from this. Such extreme artificial demand, particularly for AMD gpus and high-wattage powersupplies may cause the market to do some strange things. Will manufacturers shift production away from their other products to meet demand for mining hardware? Will chip designers lose their focus on gaming, and go for better mining performance? Will they shift R&D money away as well? What happens when the whole thing crashes, and the market is flooded with huge amounts of very high-end hardware at low prices?

Whatever the result, I can't see it being positive for most of us; especially in the long term. We're kindof in uncharted territory. Here's hoping the whole thing goes under sooner rather than later.
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:57 pm

The Egg wrote:I really have to wonder what sort of unintended/unforeseen consequences are going to result from this. Such extreme artificial demand, particularly for AMD gpus and high-wattage powersupplies may cause the market to do some strange things. Will manufacturers shift production away from their other products to meet demand for mining hardware? Will chip designers lose their focus on gaming, and go for better mining performance? Will they shift R&D money away as well? What happens when the whole thing crashes, and the market is flooded with huge amounts of very high-end hardware at low prices?

Whatever the result, I can't see it being positive for most of us; especially in the long term. We're kindof in uncharted territory. Here's hoping the whole thing goes under sooner rather than later.

its not really new - not really uncharted territory
people were doing the exact same with 5870s and 6970s with bitcoins years ago and then when 7970s came out they were used for both litecoins and bitcoins

now that bitcoins have gone to mostly fpga miners everyone is just buying the hardware for litecoins

i havnt mined for a few years (since ipaid for my 6970 with bitcoins) but it doesnt seem much different now than it does then
f0d
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:46 am

Some eye-popping clusters in that link, holy smokes :o

I am genuinely curious to see how well those pay off... sky-high initial hardware costs + electricity costs + cooling + accruing interest... those photos represent some extremely huge bets.

Also keeping in mind both Bitcoins and Litecoins halve the number of coins rewarded per block every ~4 years, meaning the physical cost to mine those coins will only continue to increase.
Kougar
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:11 am

Those PCIE risers used to be in short supply, but that was around Dec. Now they ship immediately and there are multiple suppliers on eBay.

As someone that works with mining and know how much power these draw, I'm actually interested in the amount of fires these will cause. While a lot of geeks seem decently well educated on how to build a system, there was no power distribution to be seen in any of those photos. Meaning they're probably running extension cords from all around their homes in order to prevent tripping 15amp breakers. I already ran a 100amp service to my miners and 220 to each of them to increase efficiency from AC-DC conversion and reduce strain on the power supplies, which crap out easily. I've had Corsairs crap out on me and the Seasonic I have makes hissing sounds when the wattage gets up near how much it's supposed to supply... just waiting to give up.

It seems as though there is much to be desired when it comes to reliable power from PSUs in the consumer space.

Some of those photos are old and have been around the net for more then a year.
Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:01 am

NovusBogus wrote:The one with the Che Guevara poster made me lol hard.

What, you don't think he'd be mining Bitcoins if he was alive today? :lol:
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Return to General Hardware