Toshiba a215-s5808 isbeing a PITA

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Toshiba a215-s5808 isbeing a PITA

Postposted on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi guys,

I have a toshiba a215-s5808 that has decided to give me the dreaded blank screen with blinking cursor on boot issue.

The laptop will boot to bios and will let me modify bios options.
The currently installed bios is version 1.3

Now this latop WAS FINE when I got it last week and even installed win7 on a spare hd and everything was working fine.
I ordered a 4 gig memory upgrade and new battery since win7 64bit would install and everything seemed fine.

I then tested the on-board sd card reader and after that windows started giving me unknown device and corrupted hardware id which I traced back to the cd-rom. I replaced it with a spare and it seemed to be fine for another day.
I went back to turn it on the and the lights on the front flashed three times and then the laptop shut off.

Now it is giving me the blank screen blinking cursor.

I have pulled the drives, tried booting to a flash drive, etc.
I have desoldered the battery and left it off for 15+ mins and then soldered it back on.
That did do a hard reset of the bios but I still have the same issue.

I went back to 2gig ram same issue.
Tried booting with the old battery in or and again with the new battery.

Anyone have any other ideas to try to get this thing to finish posting so I can try updating the bios to v2?

I was doing so well at the beggining that I put it for sale and already found a buyer, I'd hate to have to go back to them and say sorry the laptop just went belly up.

Thanks in advance,

Aran
I wish to see things not as they are but as they should be.
Aranarth
Gerbil Elite

Re: Toshiba a215-s5808 isbeing a PITA

Postposted on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:57 pm

Just to be sure, the HD is first in the boot order? Yes, I know it should move from the optical drive to the HD but give the HD 1st priority and see what happens. Laptop BIOSes can be cranky things
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:24 pm

Captain Ned wrote:Just to be sure, the HD is first in the boot order? Yes, I know it should move from the optical drive to the HD but give the HD 1st priority and see what happens. Laptop BIOSes can be cranky things

Thanks Cap, yeah I've tried putting the usb stick, the cd-rom, and the hd first in the boot order, no luck... :(

I also swapped the amd tk55 with a tk57 just in case, same issue.

Also swapped the hd with another one, it was a fujitsu 160gb sata1 and swapped it with a Toshiba 160b sata1 instead. Windows is not installed on this new drive. Both drives work perfectly in the two different sata to usb2 adapters I have so its not that either.

I did verify the usb stick would boot to dos for me and it works fine in my wife's laptop.

ARGH!
Aranarth
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:13 pm

Seems like the most common thing to do these days for elusive laptop issues is assume it's a cold solder problem on the MB and bake it.
TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:30 pm

Aranarth wrote:I did verify the usb stick would boot to dos for me and it works fine in my wife's laptop.

ARGH!

Have you tried a full W7 recovery image on stick?

Beginning to sound like the mobo's HD controller went all pear-shaped.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:44 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Aranarth wrote:I did verify the usb stick would boot to dos for me and it works fine in my wife's laptop.

ARGH!

Have you tried a full W7 recovery image on stick?

Beginning to sound like the mobo's HD controller went all pear-shaped.

If it would boot from the usb stick to dos on the laptop that would be an excellent idea...
I would at least have a laptop I could give to my kids.

I am beginning to suspect there is a serious issue somewhere but usually you'd get a notification of a serious error.
I have tried baking a mb before and it didn't help so I dunno if that really works.

Oh well looks like I've pretty much tried everything...
I'll just part it out...
Aranarth
Gerbil Elite

Return to General Hardware