Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

mjallan123
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Very weird problem with new build

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:46 pm

I've just put together a new build and am having a problem which is quite bemusing.

I'm trying to install windows using a usb dvd rom drive but for some reason it just won't work. The drive is able to be detected in the bios but it won't load the windows disc. I have used the dvd drive on 2 other computers since to check and it works flawlessly.

Also in the bios the mouse movement is very weird. Like it is lagging something fierce. The mouse has also been tested with the other computers and works fine.

So this lead me to think it was something to do with the usb connectors on the motherboard or the motherboard in general, so I got a replacement.

Solved? No. Exact same problem!

It's like the usb connection is intermittent but the motherboard doesn't seem to be the culprit.

My specs:

Core i3 haswell
Gigabyte 1150 h87 (1st)
Msi 1150 z87 (2nd)
8gb team group ram
Corsair 430w
Samsung evo 840 120gb

Has anyone got any idea?
Core i5 2500k @ 4Ghz | MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III | 8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz | ASUS Z68 Pro | 1200W Thermaltake Toughpower | OCZ Lian Li V2010b | HP LP2475w

killadark
Gerbil XP

Re: Very weird problem with new build

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:22 am

I'm gonna go on a wild guess and say maybe the cpu is the culprit which is causing the problem perhaps taking it to local computer show who have spare parts can help diagnose the problem better

Maybe even switch the ram with some spare u might have or swapping it from some other system to test
AMD FX-8350|Asus M5A97 LE R2.0|16gb GSKILL Sniper 2400mhz|Samsung SSD 120g 840|AMD R9 290 TRI-X (dead) GTX1070
Corsair RM650x,Thermaltake Xaser vi ,Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:43 am

First of all, Gigabyte's UEFI bios seems to run mouse input at 10 or 15 frames a second. For it to feel laggy is completely normal and I've come across that in every Gigabyte UEFI board across both 1155 and 1150 sockets.

As for DVD drive booting, you need to check a handful of BIOS options:
1) USB support needs to be set to "legacy" for some external drives to be visible at boot.
2) Secure boot needs to be of (set to "other OS" rather than "Windows8") even if you're installing Windows8. You can change this to Windows8 after install if needed
3) Make sure the USB drive appears in BBS or drive order settings of the boot menu
4) Disable Ultra Fast boot. I think you can get away with Fast boot, but Ultra Fast skips the necessary <whatevers> for USB booting most of the time.

When you boot, mash F12 during POST and you should get Gigabyte's boot menu that lets you choose which device to boot off. This somewhat negates the need to setup drives in point 3 above.

------------------
Edit
Oh - I see you have an MSI Z87 now. I don't have any first hand experience with UEFI boards by MSI. I stuck to Asus/Gigabyte/Asrock these last few years. Certainly ASRock UEFI BIOSes are quite laggy with a mouse as well.
The above principles still apply, they may just be called something different in MSI's BIOS.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:20 pm

Regarding the laggy mouse, do you still get that without the DVD drive connected? If not then it's the USB drive, but if so then I'd suggest you update your BIOS version. Some early versions of GB's UEFI had mouse lag issues and they had to release newer UEFI versions to fix it, particularly on Z87 boards. MSI might be the same way.

credible
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:53 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
First of all, Gigabyte's UEFI bios seems to run mouse input at 10 or 15 frames a second. For it to feel laggy is completely normal and I've come across that in every Gigabyte UEFI board across both 1155 and 1150 sockets.

As for DVD drive booting, you need to check a handful of BIOS options:
1) USB support needs to be set to "legacy" for some external drives to be visible at boot.
2) Secure boot needs to be of (set to "other OS" rather than "Windows8") even if you're installing Windows8. You can change this to Windows8 after install if needed
3) Make sure the USB drive appears in BBS or drive order settings of the boot menu
4) Disable Ultra Fast boot. I think you can get away with Fast boot, but Ultra Fast skips the necessary <whatevers> for USB booting most of the time.

When you boot, mash F12 during POST and you should get Gigabyte's boot menu that lets you choose which device to boot off. This somewhat negates the need to setup drives in point 3 above.

------------------
Edit
Oh - I see you have an MSI Z87 now. I don't have any first hand experience with UEFI boards by MSI. I stuck to Asus/Gigabyte/Asrock these last few years. Certainly ASRock UEFI BIOSes are quite laggy with a mouse as well.
The above principles still apply, they may just be called something different in MSI's BIOS.

Mine also disables it for even fast boot, first place to look I would think.

The Egg

Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:07 pm

I would imagine that UEFI is designed to use very few system resources, as it's a BIOS replacement and those resources may or may not be available in certain setups. So I wouldn't worry too much about the laggy mouse.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:46 pm

Quick question... are you plugging into USB 3 ports?

UEFI and booting off USB3 ports leads to some very wonky behaviour... till everything matures a little more use USB2.

I've had many issues on USB installs that always boiled down to the USB3 ports.

Pez
Gerbil

Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:51 pm

Arvald wrote:
Quick question... are you plugging into USB 3 ports?

UEFI and booting off USB3 ports leads to some very wonky behaviour... till everything matures a little more use USB2.

I've had many issues on USB installs that always boiled down to the USB3 ports.

I would hazard a guess that this is the culprit. I've never managed to get Windows installed on a USB3 port yet but USB 2 is fine usually.
i5-4670k @ 4.4GHz - ASUS Maximus Gene VI - Sapphire Radeon FURY - Custom Watercooling - Corsair 350D
Acid Techno DJ

Voldenuit

Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:54 pm

Also, are you set to Legacy Boot, UEFI boot, or both in BIOS? As other has suggested, I'd try setting it to 'Legacy'.

Also, laggy mouse cursor is the norm for Gigabyte (and indeed most mobo makers) UEFI interface. I switched my gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H UEFI to text/classic mode as the default.

Also, trying USB2 instead of USB3 is a good idea.
Wind, Sand and Stars.