Teflon tape/discs for mouse feet

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Teflon tape/discs for mouse feet

Postposted on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:01 pm

I've always been a fan of applying Teflon tape over the feet of my mice, to make the mouse glide more smoothly and prevent the feet from wearing out. Cutting the tape to size and applying it without wrinkling it was always a PITA though.

For a while a few years ago you could get pre-cut Teflon circles from Newegg, but they were a bit on the pricey side, and regardless, they no longer seem to stock them.

A couple of weeks ago I came across these on Amazon and ordered them. They seem to be the exact same ones that Newegg used to carry, except in a bulk roll of 100, at a small fraction of the price per unit. One roll should be good for many years assuming the adhesive doesn't dry out (which may be optimistic, but hey they're cheap). Amazon seems to have them in several different sizes; you'll want to get the ones that are at least 1/4" larger than the longest dimension of the feet on the bottom of your mouse.

The one caveat I have (which was also true for the Newegg ones) is that they can be a little difficult to remove from the backing sheet. The trick to doing this is to use the corner of a razor blade or other thin, sharp implement (e.g. tip of an X-Acto or Swiss Army knife blade) to lift the edge of the circle off the backing to get it started. Clean the bottom of the mouse, the knife blade, and your fingertips with isopropyl ahead of time to avoid contaminating the adhesive, to ensure that they adhere well.

Happy mousing!
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Re: Teflon tape/discs for mouse feet

Postposted on Thu May 22, 2014 5:05 pm

Nice find they look very handy. Do you use multiple dots (trimmed to shape) to cover an larger area, or do these things come in extra large?
FDISK /MBR
Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Teflon tape/discs for mouse feet

Postposted on Thu May 22, 2014 5:14 pm

The ones I linked are larger than the feet on any of my mice. Poke around on Amazon for stuff from the same manufacturer and you will find larger ones too.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Return to General Hardware