Trying to decide between Nighthawk vs RT-AC68U

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Trying to decide between Nighthawk vs RT-AC68U

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:03 am

I have been debating with myself over a new router. It looks like the Netgear Nighthawk and the Asus RT-AC68U are the top contenders. The Nighthawk does not look to have as much WiFi range as the Asus. Then again the Asus seems to have a lot more complaints about failures and other problems. Then you have the Nighthawk being $30 less costly than the Asus. I'm not sure which way to go at this point. :cry:

I would love to hear from people that own these routers and find out their experiences with them.
Khali
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:31 pm

Re: Trying to decide between Nighthawk vs RT-AC68U

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:19 am

So, I got my parents a Nighthawk. It works great, and I mean great. The range is pretty crazy good. Good speeds over the whole house.

Personally I have an AC66U/R, and while it does everything I need, I don't feel the range is as good. That also may have to do with the fact that I live in an apartment with TONS of other signals around me dampening it. If you're sticking with stock firmware, I don't really think you can go wrong with either. The Nighthawk is pretty damn big if that matters to you.

(I don't know if you're interested but I'd be willing to part with this 66R if you're interested, but I don't want to muddy the thread)
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2026
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Trying to decide between Nighthawk vs RT-AC68U

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:08 am

Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit-Intel i7 965-Noctua NH-C12P-ASUS P6T Deluxe-Patriot Viper Xtreme 24GB DDR3 1600-SanDisk 240GB SSD-2 WD Velociraptors 300GB-WD RE3 1TB -Radeon 6970-ASUS Xonar Essence -LG GBW-H20L Blu-ray-Thermaltake W0133RU 1200W-CoolerMaster CM 832
Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:07 am
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:30 pm

I have the Negear's R7000 router ("Nighthawk"? since when people started to use names for models???) - it's a decent router, great routing performance (even with a lot of users simultaneously doing various stuff like playing games, streaming movies or downloading large files) with an excellent range (5GHz obviously has lower range but still passable), as good as any Asus model, or actually better (depending on your house layout). There are some broken features (mostly related to QoS and external storage, nothing too serious) and you might have compatibility issues with some devices but Netgear does try to improve stuff and release new firmwares fairly often and as long as you're using it for basic needs (basic routing/port forwarding or using it as an AP) it should work fine. And you can also install custom DD-WRT firmware onto it if you're into such things.

If you're interested in more info, you should read official forums: http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1862
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: NY/NJ/FL

Re:

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:35 pm

JohnC wrote:("Nighthawk"? since when people started to use names for models???)

Probably with the Asus RT-N66U "Black Knight", a lovely example of which just replaced my WRT-54GL. It'll get Tomato'd (TomatoUSB by Shibby) this weekend.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20114
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Trying to decide between Nighthawk vs RT-AC68U

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:58 pm

Khali wrote:I have been debating with myself over a new router. It looks like the Netgear Nighthawk and the Asus RT-AC68U are the top contenders. The Nighthawk does not look to have as much WiFi range as the Asus. Then again the Asus seems to have a lot more complaints about failures and other problems. Then you have the Nighthawk being $30 less costly than the Asus. I'm not sure which way to go at this point. :cry:

I would love to hear from people that own these routers and find out their experiences with them.


I actually own both of them, and prefer the Asus by a slim margin. I've had some issues with the Nighthawk (accidentally implementing wireless isolation, but only for certain protocols due to a bug, anecdotally worse wireless performance despite being in a farm house and not an NYC apartment, etc), so the Asus RT-AC68U gets my nod.
Beelzebubba9
Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:23 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Re:

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:39 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
JohnC wrote:("Nighthawk"? since when people started to use names for models???)

Probably with the Asus RT-N66U "Black Knight", a lovely example of which just replaced my WRT-54GL. It'll get Tomato'd (TomatoUSB by Shibby) this weekend.


I'd argue that Merlin's is better supported and more robust for that unit.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7846

http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin/changelog.txt
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3506
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Re:

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:06 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:I'd argue that Merlin's is better supported and more robust for that unit.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7846

http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin/changelog.txt

I ran Tomato on my WRT-54GL for years and found its features compelling, especially in the "controlling access of unruly teens" feature. I checked the screenshots and it's still the same AsusWRT UI I'm not happy with, especially in the parental punishment (i.e. lack of 'Net) modes that were so easy in Tomato. I could care less about the USB ports; my network printer has a proper Ethernet cord and if I were ever to go NAS, it sure wouldn't be through USB 2.0.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20114
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Trying to decide between Nighthawk vs RT-AC68U

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:42 pm

Unfortunately it's my understanding that Tomato support on the N66 is kind of half-assed.

YMMV
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3506
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Trying to decide between Nighthawk vs RT-AC68U

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:09 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:Unfortunately it's my understanding that Tomato support on the N66 is kind of half-assed.

YMMV

Ah, you need to see the Shibby variant. Updated regularly.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20114
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Trying to decide between Nighthawk vs RT-AC68U

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:13 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Ryu Connor wrote:Unfortunately it's my understanding that Tomato support on the N66 is kind of half-assed.

YMMV

Ah, you need to see the Shibby variant. Updated regularly.


I am talking about Shibby. Even on the Tomato USB forums they tell you not to use Tomato and go with Merlin instead.

http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-673244/asu ... for-newbie

Edit: I'm just providing details. You do what you gotta do. :)
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3506
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Re:

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:16 pm

Captain Ned wrote:I ran Tomato on my WRT-54GL for years and found its features compelling, especially in the "controlling access of unruly teens" feature.

"For today's wi-fi password:

- Take out the trash
- Clean your rooms
- Do the dishes"
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9934
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Portugal (that's next to Spain)

Re: Trying to decide between Nighthawk vs RT-AC68U

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Khali wrote:Then again the Asus seems to have a lot more complaints about failures and other problems.

I have a RT-N65U, and I had to send it back to newegg after it failed 2 days later. Newegg sent it back to me and told me to send it to ASUS. :(
I like Windows 8.
Seriously.
chµck
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Trying to decide between Nighthawk vs RT-AC68U

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:23 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:I am talking about Shibby. Even on the Tomato USB forums they tell you not to use Tomato and go with Merlin instead.

http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-673244/asu ... for-newbie

Ugh. I hate the WRT UI as it simply doesn't expose options that Tomato does. I don't (yet) have a NAS and the router exists mainly to provide 'Net services to all of the Wi-Fi enabled devices down in the TV room (my box and the printer are on Cat6). Besides, that single post with no follow-up is hardly definitive against Shibby given the utter lack of details and the appearance of sock-puppetry.

AsusWRT does not properly expose options I had in Tomato; options I need. Tomato it is.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20114
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Re:

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:28 pm

morphine wrote:"For today's wi-fi password:

- Take out the trash
- Clean your rooms
- Do the dishes"

If only it were so simple. For me it's more "do the homework that's a month late so you don't fail the class and get put back a year". She talks of college and I ask her who would take her with her timely homework completion ratio. The only way to get her to do anything is a broad-based block on all social media as well as a bunch of cosplay sites. These days it's pretty much impossible to complete HS assignments with no 'Net access so I have to tailor my attacks. Tomato made that very easy.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20114
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Trying to decide between Nighthawk vs RT-AC68U

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:49 pm

chµck wrote:
Khali wrote:Then again the Asus seems to have a lot more complaints about failures and other problems.

I have a RT-N65U, and I had to send it back to newegg after it failed 2 days later. Newegg sent it back to me and told me to send it to ASUS. :(


Lol... Buy electronic stuff from Amazon instead - they take everything back within 30 days and issue full refunds/replacements, no "go pester the OEM instead!" football games ;-) I just returned a house window fan to them after using it for a few days because it was not needed anymore - I printed out the return UPS label right from their site, stuck it on a box and dropped it off, they refunded everything minus the return shipping fee ;-)
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1862
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: NY/NJ/FL

Re: Trying to decide between Nighthawk vs RT-AC68U

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:59 pm

JohnC wrote:
chµck wrote:
Khali wrote:Then again the Asus seems to have a lot more complaints about failures and other problems.

I have a RT-N65U, and I had to send it back to newegg after it failed 2 days later. Newegg sent it back to me and told me to send it to ASUS. :(


Lol... Buy electronic stuff from Amazon instead - they take everything back within 30 days and issue full refunds/replacements, no "go pester the OEM instead!" football games ;-) I just returned a house window fan to them after using it for a few days because it was not needed anymore - I printed out the return UPS label right from their site, stuck it on a box and dropped it off, they refunded everything minus the return shipping fee ;-)

I normally buy from Amazon, but Newegg was having a special for the router. $20 after rebates.
I like Windows 8.
Seriously.
chµck
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:14 pm


Return to General Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 12 guests