Matrox VS 3dfx

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Matrox VS 3dfx

Postposted on Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:46 pm

This place needs more action.

Go ahead. :wink:


I would prefer a 3dfx voodoo 5 6000 over any Matrox card. It's around 3 years old too.
Shake it to the limit!
PING
YBK
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2859
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:38 am
Location: Sydney

Postposted on Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:18 pm

Isn't the Voodoo 5 6000 that monstrosity with something like four GPUs on it? I saw some pictures and the bugger extended past the edge of the motherboard once installed.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan
eckslax
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5332
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2002 4:22 pm
Location: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy HQ

Postposted on Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:52 pm

Matrox card, 2D wholesome goodness.
3dfx cards. I knew they existed, but the Internet wasn't as accessible to me back then.
*yawn*
etilena
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:43 am
Location: .ozziefied.

Postposted on Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:57 pm

Voodoo3 3000 vs. Matrox G450? Voodoo3 all the way. My eyesight is poor enough I couldn't tell the difference in image quality on the desktop and in office apps between a GeForce 2 and a Radeon 9500 Pro. :D
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21555
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Postposted on Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:53 pm

Actually the voodoo 3 3000 is pretty good at 2D stuff. :) 8)
Shake it to the limit!
PING
YBK
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2859
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:38 am
Location: Sydney

Postposted on Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:33 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:Voodoo3 3000 vs. Matrox G450? Voodoo3 all the way. My eyesight is poor enough I couldn't tell the difference in image quality on the desktop and in office apps between a GeForce 2 and a Radeon 9500 Pro. :D

You do realize that the V3 went up against the G400 and G400Max, which spanked everything out there. (Admittedly after the drivers had matured)

The Millennium I also spanked everything out there, and they were usually the choice before that as well. (Having some tough competition from S3 and #9 ;))
bsdgeek
Gerbil
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun May 25, 2003 10:38 pm

Postposted on Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:49 pm

bsdgeek wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:Voodoo3 3000 vs. Matrox G450? Voodoo3 all the way. My eyesight is poor enough I couldn't tell the difference in image quality on the desktop and in office apps between a GeForce 2 and a Radeon 9500 Pro. :D

You do realize that the V3 went up against the G400 and G400Max, which spanked everything out there. (Admittedly after the drivers had matured)

The Millennium I also spanked everything out there, and they were usually the choice before that as well. (Having some tough competition from S3 and #9 ;))


The G400 vs. the Voodoo 3 wasn't a contest when they were both new parts, though. V3 was faster all around...but I had a Voodoo2 and a TNT back then. :D
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21555
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Postposted on Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:50 pm

I have a voodoo 3 now!!!!
Shake it to the limit!
PING
YBK
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2859
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:38 am
Location: Sydney

Postposted on Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:21 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
bsdgeek wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:Voodoo3 3000 vs. Matrox G450? Voodoo3 all the way. My eyesight is poor enough I couldn't tell the difference in image quality on the desktop and in office apps between a GeForce 2 and a Radeon 9500 Pro. :D

You do realize that the V3 went up against the G400 and G400Max, which spanked everything out there. (Admittedly after the drivers had matured)

The Millennium I also spanked everything out there, and they were usually the choice before that as well. (Having some tough competition from S3 and #9 ;))


The G400 vs. the Voodoo 3 wasn't a contest when they were both new parts, though. V3 was faster all around...but I had a Voodoo2 and a TNT back then. :D

No G400 still showed amazing D3D speed, it's just that Matrox's OpenGL sucked back then.
bsdgeek
Gerbil
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun May 25, 2003 10:38 pm

Postposted on Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:28 pm

how about this? :)
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC-12800, EVGA 660Ti, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.
Krogoth
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4480
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: somewhere on Core Prime

Postposted on Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:35 pm

I have a V2, V3, V5, and a Matrox Millenium in all my boxes. Looks like 3Dfx is the winner at my place. :wink:
Image
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus
 
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:43 am
Location: Evergreen Park, IL

Postposted on Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:58 am

Millennium I, G200: Shelf
G400Max, Parhelia: In use
VooDoo5: 1/2 Dead, Shelf
bsdgeek
Gerbil
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun May 25, 2003 10:38 pm

Postposted on Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:00 pm

My first videocard upgrade was dual voodoo 2's with the piggy back sli connection. THATS RIGHT!!

PH34|2 /\/\3!!!11

:lol:
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA 560 TI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 11924
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 5:55 am
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Postposted on Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:05 pm

YBK wrote:Actually the voodoo 3 3000 is pretty good at 2D stuff. :) 8)

They were better at it than nvidia back then.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking
element
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2172
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: South Pole

Postposted on Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:08 pm

pete_roth wrote:My first videocard upgrade was dual voodoo 2's with the piggy back sli connection. THATS RIGHT!!

PH34|2 /\/\3!!!11

:lol:

I went from a Miro, now Pinnacle, 4MB (2D) card to a Voodoo Banshee and then a TNT2 Ultra, now i have a vanilla GF3 in my computer, made by 3D Power http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/absoluteg ... f3_2.shtml (ex 3dfx engineers) but the company doesn't exist anymore, their website is offline. I wish I knew what happened to them, they suddenly dissappeared.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking
element
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2172
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: South Pole

Postposted on Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:15 pm

Yep, the 2D image clarity of my old Voodoo3 card still compares favorably with any of the video cards I've used over the past few years. That includes various other S3, nVidia, ATI, and Matrox cards. I'd put the image quality roughly on par with Matrox, slightly ahead of ATI and nVidia's current cards, and light years ahead of nVidia's older (pre-GF3) cards, or anything S3-based.

This is why I still use my Voodoo3 card, in an old K6-III box that I use for remote VPN access. Being able to display the entire remote desktop in a window (using PC-Anywhere) without it getting blurred all to hell is a big plus.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 38123
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Postposted on Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:23 pm

My VooDoo5's 2d IQ wasn't so great compared to my G400Max. Would anyone that had both V5/V3 care to compare those?
bsdgeek
Gerbil
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun May 25, 2003 10:38 pm

Postposted on Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:25 pm

I still have 2 voodoo 3 cards up and running! I sold my matrox G400 to my aunt years ago and she is still using it.
lookin at a thing in a bag.
AmishRakeFight
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1402
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:41 am
Location: Racine, Wisconsin.

Postposted on Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:58 am

I do think the V3 did have better 2D than the V5. You could tell just by performance that the V5 was all about brute force and the 2D suffered because of this. The V3 was just a much better designed card than the V5, and near the end of 3Dfx the quality did suffer.
Image
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus
 
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:43 am
Location: Evergreen Park, IL

Postposted on Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:07 am

AmishRakeFight wrote:I still have 2 voodoo 3 cards up and running! I sold my matrox G400 to my aunt years ago and she is still using it.

Yeah, I actually gave away my other Voodoo3 card, when I did a "freebie" system upgrade for my wife's niece. I'm sort of regretting that decision now... damn, should've given her my old TNT2 card instead!
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 38123
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Postposted on Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:24 am

just brew it! wrote:
AmishRakeFight wrote:I still have 2 voodoo 3 cards up and running! I sold my matrox G400 to my aunt years ago and she is still using it.

Yeah, I actually gave away my other Voodoo3 card, when I did a "freebie" system upgrade for my wife's niece. I'm sort of regretting that decision now... damn, should've given her my old TNT2 card instead!


Hehe yeh V3 has 2D image quality on it's side, TNT 2 is a bit better with 3D performance, not in all games though. TNT 2 apparently has pathetic image quality.
Shake it to the limit!
PING
YBK
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2859
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:38 am
Location: Sydney

Postposted on Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:33 am

I have a TNT2 in one of my boxes and a V3 in the other, and the 2D is just horrible compared to the V3. It is in one of my folding boxes, and I can not stand doing anything on that box for extended periods of time as the display is so blurry. V3 all the way, that card kicks the TNT2 to the curb. :D
Image
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus
 
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:43 am
Location: Evergreen Park, IL

Postposted on Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:33 am

YBK wrote:Hehe yeh V3 has 2D image quality on it's side, TNT 2 is a bit better with 3D performance, not in all games though. TNT 2 apparently has pathetic image quality.

Yes, I can attest to the lousy image quality on the TNT2 (and early GeForce/GeForce2) cards. The card manufacturers were partly to blame (poor implementation of the lowpass EMI filters on the video outputs), but I'm convinced that the RAMDAC on the GPU contributed to the problem as well. Even after disabling the EMI filters (real geeks aren't afraid to take a soldering iron to their video cards! :D) the image quality was still well below the 3Dfx, Matrox and ATI cards which were out at that time.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 38123
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Postposted on Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:36 am

real geeks aren't afraid to take a soldering iron to their video cards!


With a slight ammount of money :wink:
Shake it to the limit!
PING
YBK
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2859
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:38 am
Location: Sydney

Postposted on Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:40 am

Well at least nowdays 2D is much better than it used to be, the 2D on my 9500 is excellent and I am very happy with it. It is a shame that it took so long for it to be as good as the old matrox and 3Dfx cards.
Image
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus
 
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:43 am
Location: Evergreen Park, IL

Postposted on Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:46 am

Starfalcon wrote:Well at least nowdays 2D is much better than it used to be, the 2D on my 9500 is excellent and I am very happy with it. It is a shame that it took so long for it to be as good as the old matrox and 3Dfx cards.

Historically, ATI actually hasn't been that bad... IMO nVidia and S3 were the worst offenders in terms of 2D image quality. nVidia apparently got their act together when they did the GeForce3, and S3 (now part of VIA) has ceased to be relevant for anything other than low end "integrated-everything" motherboards.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 38123
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Postposted on Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:08 am

I still have my old Voodoo 3 in use inside of my old P3 600. Don't think I'm ever gonna give this card up. Heck, it even has passive cooling so I don't have to worry about a fan failing or making an extra noise. :)
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan
eckslax
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5332
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2002 4:22 pm
Location: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy HQ

Postposted on Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:17 am

My V2's do not even have a heatsink on them, so those are even quieter than the passive cooling of the V3. :wink: It will be interesting what they will have to do in the future to keep the faster video cards cool.
Image
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus
 
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:43 am
Location: Evergreen Park, IL

Postposted on Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:06 am

You guys haven't seen 2D Image Quality until you see Parhelia (it's better than the G400Max) 8)
bsdgeek
Gerbil
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun May 25, 2003 10:38 pm

Postposted on Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:59 am

bsdgeek wrote:You guys haven't seen 2D Image Quality until you see Parhelia (it's better than the G400Max) 8)

I don't doubt that the image quality is good... but very few people are willing to shell out that kind of dough just for a slight improvement. The other vendors have closed the image quality gap considerably, so Matrox doesn't have the edge in this area that they've had historically.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 38123
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Next

Return to General Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest