New laptop decision

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

New laptop decision

Postposted on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:12 am

So looking for a new laptop to replace the wife old HP w/AMD E-350 APU

Want to limit it to $500 Cnd, mainly used for web surfing/email/skyping and light gaming (me).

So there is 2 I see,
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hew ... 98758.aspx

looks nice
and a rough intel equivalent

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... ageIndex=1
no touch screen though

From generic benchmarking for cpu and gpu from pass mark, the intel's HD4400 beats out the Radeon HD8400(kabini - couldn't find the R5)

Don't really care for Acer, and the intel cpu cranks out more points than the Beema, even only being a 2 core cpu.

So even though passmark shows 534 for intel HD4400 and 355 pts for the radeon HD8400, will it actually play, and handle games better than the A8-6410?

Or is there something even better in this price range?

Thanks
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Re: New laptop decision

Postposted on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:20 am

The first HP linked is an AMD Beema processor, it has only 1/3rd the graphics horsepower of a Kaveri A8 and the quad cores are the Jaguar/Puma cores from the XBone and PS4, not the more powerful Piledriver/Steamroller cores you would expect in an A8. It's not going to be great at gaming

The second Acer is better, way more powerful in general but the HD4400 graphics will be quite limited, probably not a lot better than that first HP.

If you want to be able to run modern games, then this is the first thing Best Buy has with decent graphics capability, but it's CA$599
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/tos ... 7cb615en02
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:51 am

Thanks, I was having trouble tracking down an actual kaveri laptop.
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:26 pm

I understand why, and I'm not telling you that you're doing it wrong, or that you should do anything different, in fact, but I am lamenting the race to the bottom which is alive and well in the retail PC space, especially the laptop market.

Make it entirely out of plastic, use a known-failure-prone whiny fan, and replace the screen with a few dozen colored LEDs! Undercut competitor pricing by 50$ and dominate the market!! WIN!!!
Siglessness is boring.
Image - M4800-Eight1
Image - Vargr-Z97
Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:37 pm

Forge wrote:I understand why, and I'm not telling you that you're doing it wrong, or that you should do anything different, in fact, but I am lamenting the race to the bottom which is alive and well in the retail PC space, especially the laptop market.

Make it entirely out of plastic, use a known-failure-prone whiny fan, and replace the screen with a few dozen colored LEDs! Undercut competitor pricing by 50$ and dominate the market!! WIN!!!

Someone in HP just read this and went "Holy Crap! Why didn't I think of that?!"
Desktop: FX-8350 | 32 GB | XFX Radeon 6950 | Windows 7 x64
Laptop: i7 740QM | 12 GB | Mobility Radeon 5850 | Windows 8.1.1.1.1 x64
SuperSpy
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:58 pm

Forge wrote:I understand why, and I'm not telling you that you're doing it wrong, or that you should do anything different, in fact, but I am lamenting the race to the bottom which is alive and well in the retail PC space, especially the laptop market.

I agree, however, if it wasn't for the kids I would have no problem shelling out a grand for something good. However, the HP 2000-240CA (AMD E-350) laptop we have is 3 yrs and 3 months old now. It has been knocked off the table onto a hardwood floor about 1/2 dozen times now and had liquid spilled on it now probably 2-3 times and is still running good. All for the before tax price of $330 cnd dollars. (not including the 256GB M4 SSD in there)

The new one would be for the wife, and she's not that much better at taking care of her stuff than the kids (3 & 5) hence my resistance to spend more than $500. For me, I use my desktop :)
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Return to General Hardware