Something wrong with my SSD?

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Something wrong with my SSD?

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:10 am

Hi, I have a Samsung EVO 840 120 gig SSD that I use as my main OS drive. A few minutes a go I ran the windows experience index scoring system (I updated my NVidia drivers) and I noticed a pretty big drop on my SSD drive. It used to be a 7.9 and now it's at 6.9.

Now I know that this scoring system doesn't mean that much, but still why is my SSD scoring lower all of a sudden?

I'm a little concerned.

I mainly use it for OS programs and I have one game on it (PSO2 a Japanese online RPG). Lately I downloaded quite a large system update to this game (about 4 gigs) and I've downloaded about 4gigs of Skyrim mods onto it.

Could this be the reason why it's scoring lower?

Anyways, helpful tips and answers will be greatly appreciated ^-^
diasflacog
Gerbil First Class

Re: Something wrong with my SSD?

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:10 am

Typically, an x.9 score means that a specific check failed to allow you to hit the x+1 score. In this instance, you were maxed out at 7.9 (assuming Windows 7) and dropped to 6.9. Although WEI is mocked for its simplistic scoring, the underlying benchmarking system is reasonably sound.

Run 'winsat diskformal' from an elevated command prompt to see the detailed scores for the sequential and random reads/writes and see what the breakdown of scores are.

For example, on my laptop with a HDD, I get:
> Disk Sequential 64.0 Read 90.09 MB/s 6.4
> Disk Random 16.0 Read 1.37 MB/s 3.7
> Responsiveness: Average IO Rate 2.36 ms/IO 6.8
> Responsiveness: Grouped IOs 17.09 units 3.9
> Responsiveness: Long IOs 14.17 units 7.1
> Responsiveness: Overall 242.18 units 6.2
> Responsiveness: PenaltyFactor 1.0
arunphilip
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:16 am

I would say the most likely thing is that your 120 GB is almost filled up and that is slowing things down a little, how much free space do you have?
ShadowTiger
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:56 am

Here are my results.

http://i.imgur.com/Pr5Ak8x.jpg?1

I also downloaded and ran crystaldiskmark incase someone wants to see those numbers too.

http://i.imgur.com/DKIzBQU.jpg

As for how much space I left. I have 63.8 GB so that shouldn't be a problem.
diasflacog
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:07 am

It's still fast enough that I wouldn't worry about it.

Once you blitz through all the free space on the drive, it will slow down a bit, but not enough that it will make a real-world difference. For what it's worth, the Kingston drive in my current machine at work gets 6.4 on one run and 7.1 on a subsequent run of winsat. The numbers aren't that reliable unless your PC is actually doing nothing, but there are too many services doing background IO on most Windows installations to truly benchmark an OS drive reliably, you need to test it as a secondary drive to get a realistic value without interference during the benchmark by the OS.

You should install Samsung Magician if you don't already have it and then perform the steps it recommends to optimise Windows for the SSD, it also gives you a whole bunch of SMART info and stats, drive health and lets you benchmark your drive against what its rated specs are, so if it's way out on one of those you can investigate further.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Return to General Hardware