Divx audio problem - Windows Media Audio V2

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Divx audio problem - Windows Media Audio V2

Postposted on Thu Apr 11, 2002 7:32 pm

I recently picked up a bunch of new divx files. However, some of them are producing no audio, and one works with Divx Player 2.0 Alpha but not with Windows Media Player.

I just installed divx 5.0.1. The files that don't work (picture but no sound) all are using "Windows Media Audio V2" according to the "audio format" listed in Properties. Those files appear to attempt to download some codec, presumably WMAv2, before playing, but still don't produce any sound.

The one other file uses MPEG-3 audio (which works for everything else) but freezes WMP. In the above-mentioned prepackaged player that came with 5.0.1, it works flawlessly.

Any ideas where to get this missing codec? Or if that's what I'm supposed to do? And how to install it when I get it? My wasting time depends on your help...
technophile
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:00 pm

The "WMA v2" codec being reported may actually be the old hacked DivX Audio codec that came with v3.11 Alpha. You should still be able to get it from DivX Digest. Look under "Software".

About the MP3 problem... have you installed a different MP3 codec than what comes with WMP?
Steel
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:10 am

update: I installed divx 3.11 alpha, and it's all better. Well, almost. The one file that only worked in divx player 2.0 still doesn't work in WMP. Don't know why. It shows up as a 10 hour audio file instead of a 2 hour movie. But it's perfect in divx player, so i'm not stressing.
technophile
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri Apr 12, 2002 2:13 am

You might also want to look into other DivX players. I like Global DivX myself. (Although I'm using the 0.91 version). I've found the WMP and The Playa 2.0 Alpha don't always play the files correctly.

Also, when installing the codecs, I always install the 3.11 version and then install the 4.x version. And during the setup of 4.x, I choose to not have the 4.x play all the 3.x content. Some DivX files won't play under anything but 3.x. Although, hopefully, newer DivX files won't have these problems once everyone uses the newer version.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.
Kevin
Administrator

Postposted on Fri Apr 12, 2002 6:10 am

Among experienced DVD rippers, there is an 'unwritten' rule NOT to use DivX codec 4.x and 5.x. They always use DivX codec 3.11 and nandub to make quality rips , because the other DivX codecs are still inferiour to the 3.11 codec. So, I don't install 4.x or 5.x to avoid problems.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking
element
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:22 am

I never heard that before. So 3.11 is better?
dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Return to Graphics