Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Skullzer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Swapping a GPU, drivers question

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:29 pm

Hello,

I have two computers, one has a gtx 960 and one has a gtx 970. This weekend I plan on swapping the gpus, if each system has the same drivers installed will I need to uninstall the drivers first or should I be able to swap the hardware and not worry about the drivers?

Also, I plan on changing the cmos batteries while I'm in there. I've read that it will wipe the bios, is that correct? Should I take note of all the settings prior to changing the battery or is there a way to save the settings on the hard drive or something? I ve read a lot of conflicting info on this. As usual, thanks in advance for the help!
Office PC:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 | ASUS M4A87TD Evo | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 970 4GB | Antec BP 550 | Antec 300 | Win 7 64
HTPC:
Intel i5-4570 | ASRock H87M | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 960 2GB | Corsair CX430M | Fractal Design Node 605 | Win 7 64

Yan
Gerbil XP

Re: Swapping a GPU, drivers question

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:36 pm

Skullzer wrote:
Also, I plan on changing the cmos batteries while I'm in there. I've read that it will wipe the bios, is that correct? Should I take note of all the settings prior to changing the battery or is there a way to save the settings on the hard drive or something? I ve read a lot of conflicting info on this. As usual, thanks in advance for the help!

Removing the batteries will restore the BIOS information to the default. Whether you can save the settings to the hard disk or not depends on the BIOS. Personally, I'd save them if possible and also note them on paper.

Is there any particular reason you're changing the batteries?

confusedpenguin
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:17 pm

Yes, write down you BIOS settings. In regards to drivers. Uninstall the drivers just as a precaution since it's simple and easy enough. Uninstall the drivers, reboot the computer. Then power down. Swap out your GPU, boot up and install the new drivers and you should be good to go.

Skullzer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:27 pm

Regarding the drivers, I was just hoping to skip that step because without the drivers I hate navigating Windows in 800x600 resolution or whatever. But it's simple enough uninstall and reinstall.

Regarding the batteries, one of my computers time is off and it seems like every other week I need sync the Windows internet clocks. I've ruled out any malware by running malware bytes and Windows defender. It's the computer I use for my htpc and the messed up clocks make tv recording cut off the last few minutes or makes them start early. When I bought a replacement battery it came in a 2 pack, so I figured I'd replace my gaming pc too.

I'm actually pretty stoked, my htpc is currently running a haswell i5 and my gaming pc is running amd phenom 2, I'll be swapping out the guts and reassigning their duties. What triggered the change was I recently bought a gtx970 and an Asus 2560x1440 monitor and my phenom 2 seems to be the bottle neck gaming at that resolution. Swapping all the parts will feel like an upgrade for my gaming pc, wish i would have just set it up like that from the beginning but at the time my gaming pc was fine in 1080p. But then came pcars and fallout 4...and I don't have the money to upgrade the machine all out.
Office PC:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 | ASUS M4A87TD Evo | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 970 4GB | Antec BP 550 | Antec 300 | Win 7 64
HTPC:
Intel i5-4570 | ASRock H87M | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 960 2GB | Corsair CX430M | Fractal Design Node 605 | Win 7 64