Emmentaler
3 (5%)

Total votes: 62

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

TR needs a GTX-1060 Poll time!

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:56 pm

As many of you are aware Ngreedia was not kind enough to send over a Founder's Edition review sample of the GTX-1060 to TR.

Let's take a poll: WHO WANTS A GTX-1060 REVIEW?

Better: Who wants a GTX-1060 review of a non-FE part that people in the real world might actually buy?

I just got the shipping notification about my Zotac mini GTX-1060.
Unfortunately it's not due here until next Tuesday because I of course opted for the cheap shipping, but it is coming.

On to the poll question: Who says that as soon as it shows up I hop on down to the local FedEX store and ship it out to TR for a full review?

I think seeing how the GTX-1060 performs separate from the "official" HSF could be quite interesting.

Oh, and for those of you thinking this is all intended to make Nvidia look good, remember that this card is stock-clocked with what is obviously a smaller-sized HSF than the notorious Founder's Edition parts, so if anything it will probably perform somewhat worse than a regular review sample. On top of that, it's obviously not cherry picked by Nvidia to look good in a review. This is all about keepin' it real.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

ChicagoDave
Gerbil

Re: TR needs a GTX-1060 Poll time!

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Please please please yes. That's the exact card I'm planning to buy for my HTPC/1080p gaming box. In particular I want to see the thermals and fan noise levels of the mini cards, I can't find reviews anywhere for them (or the mini 1070s for that matter).

In my use case, it'll be going into my beautiful but empty Fractal Design Node 605 case. The full size cards simply won't work as they will act as a wall to partition the box into two spaces. The case is essentially the exact length of full size cards so only a mini will do.

Redocbew

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:23 pm

Am I correct in thinking that a vote for cheese counts as yes, and a vote for potato counts as yes as well? Only a no vote counts as no.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

chuckula
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:29 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that a vote for cheese counts as yes, and a vote for potato counts as yes as well? Only a no vote counts as no.

Yes! Vote early and vote often!

Unfortunately, this isn't a democracy and the TR editors have to agree to take the card and agree to my unreasonable demands (that they ship it back after they do the review). But it's nice to hear the voice of the people anyway.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:32 am

As generous as your offer may be, I suspect the reason there's no TR review is the result of a signed agreement with Nvidia, since he's responded in my thread about the 1060 NDA but not with the reasons why.

That's abnormal behaviour and many of us have drawn the conculsion from this that his lips are sealed for reasons that are in the best interests of the site.

All we can infer from this is that is that Nvidia are shady, dishonest bastards, which doesn't really change anything. Was anyone ever under the illusion that they weren't?

Anyway, it'll be nice to see the TR 1060 review, with or without Nvidia's help, because those will be important data points to put into future reviews and may even shed light on why Nvidia didn't want to send TR a review card ;)
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

chuckula
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:44 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
As generous as your offer may be, I suspect the reason there's no TR review is the result of a signed agreement with Nvidia, since he's responded in my thread about the 1060 NDA but not with the reasons why.

That's abnormal behaviour and many of us have drawn the conculsion from this that his lips are sealed for reasons that are in the best interests of the site.

Yeah, but why would TR be bound by some bizarre NDA to not review Nvidia products? A valid NDA needs a quid-pro-quo, like TR gets access to early review samples or some other non-public information in exchange for keeping quiet about it until the NDA expires. An agreement that just says Nvidia won't give you review samples or other information and that you can't even talk about it wouldn't be enforceable [and TR technically would have violated it by stating the obvious fact that they don't have a GTX-1060 on hand].

Besides, every time there's a TR review of a GPU the usual suspects come out and accuse TR of having a pro-Nvidia bias, so it's not like Ngreedia has a valid case of "reviews need to be fair" going on here either.

gbcrush
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:48 am

I voted cheddar, because it's my favorite.

...but seriously. Hats off to you for putting up such a delicious variety of options. It's been awhile since we've been so spoiled. :D
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680
Circe - Disconnected and Disconcerted

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:08 am

chuckula wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:

Yeah, but why would TR be bound by some bizarre NDA to not review Nvidia products? A valid NDA needs a quid-pro-quo, like TR gets access to early review samples or some other non-public information in exchange for keeping quiet about it until the NDA expires. An agreement that just says Nvidia won't give you review samples or other information and that you can't even talk about it wouldn't be enforceable [and TR technically would have violated it by stating the obvious fact that they don't have a GTX-1060 on hand].

Besides, every time there's a TR review of a GPU the usual suspects come out and accuse TR of having a pro-Nvidia bias, so it's not like Ngreedia has a valid case of "reviews need to be fair" going on here either.

I doubt it's as simple as that. I doubt that it's an NDA. It's likely to be something more complex which includes an NDA clause talking about the agreement. Maybe Jeff will chime in, maybe we'll have to wait for the 1060 review to hear about why TR didn't get a 1060. Who knows!
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:44 pm

Brei'ng it on!

I'll show myself out.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:15 pm

Really nice offer chuckula! I am definitely interested in a review from TR.

But, would you be able to live without it for a month or more while they review it..?
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

chuckula
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:25 pm

Convert wrote:
But, would you be able to live without it for a month or more while they review it..?

Yes. It's not for my main rig that's actually being used for higher-end 3D stuff.
It's for my secondary system that right now gets by fine with a 5 year old Fermi card. A big part of the upgrade is getting a high-refresh rate monitor for that secondary rig, which I don't have yet. So I'm willing to be patient since I can get my fix of high-performance graphics from somewhere else ;-)

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:47 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
As generous as your offer may be, I suspect the reason there's no TR review is the result of a signed agreement with Nvidia...That's abnormal behaviour and many of us have drawn the conculsion from this that his lips are sealed for reasons that are in the best interests of the site.

I wonder if you've changed your mind since the GTX 1070 review went up after your post here. Even still, TR did a 1080 review and has voiced their possession of a 1070 for review a while back. The more likely reason for all this is that TR has somehow fallen out of "premier review site" status with nVidia since Scott left. I'm sure funds are tighter than ever since the restructuring. And the obvious shortage of writers doesn't help.

It's not easy to have the majority of a company's employees leave, then hand the skeleton to new management (although I notice Damage still has "TR Staff" status and his SN is still orange). I applaud Jeff for keeping the lights on. I'm sure it's not easy.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

chuckula
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:05 am

OK!

The board is out for delivery today.

TR Editor types: Let me know if you'd like me to ship it on over to you!

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:25 am

Sorry, I need pepper jack or no sale.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:27 am

Regardless, I think a brick of the winning cheese flavor should be shipped to me for a review.

chuckula
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:36 am

Anovoca wrote:
Regardless, I think a brick of the winning cheese flavor should be shipped to me for a review.

The Velveeta Report.
Process Cheese Explored.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:56 am

"The large holes in the Big Eye Swiss provides convenient cable running, great air flow, and water loop support. Will the improved cooling ability of the swiss compensate for the increased surface area and decreased total mass when put under thermal load? Read more in the microwave section ahead."