What's the big deal with Hauppauge PVR?

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Postposted on Thu Jan 17, 2002 11:41 pm

I want to watch TV on my PC and also capture video from digital camera and VCR so that I could make my own VCDs. I am looking to purchase a TV tuner/video capture card for my new computer P4 1.8GHz, Win XP, GeForce3 Ti200.

I have done quite a bit of research about various cards that are available on the market today. I am particularly interested in the Hauppauge PVR (Personal Video Recorder) but I need some opinions before I make my decision. Is the card good as it sounds? There are three main features which I am interested in this card:

1) It's maximum resolution (for viewing TV/video) is 1600x1200. All TV cards from hauppauge have this resolution. No other card on the market (from popular makes like ATI, Pinnacle etc.) have got a resolution of higher than 768x576.

2) It can capture at a resolution of 768x576/MPEG1 and 768x576/MPEG2. No other TV-tuner card on the market can capture in MPEG2 unless they use another software to encode MPEG1 to MPEG2.

3) It's got a built-in hardware encoder on the mainboard, which is much faster than the software encoding and it also encodes to MPEG2 (Layer 2) with a compression ratio of 100:1.

There are also some drawbacks.

1) I quote this from a website which says the folowing in its conclusion for the Hauppauge PVR:

"This is a good board if you mainly want to do time-shifting, your budget is limited, and you don't have a powerful enough CPU to run the ATI All-in-Wonder. If you're after high-quality video captures, the AIW is a far better product: with both boards the highest quality is obtained by capturing to AVI, then using a separate encoder. The AIW should also produce a somewhat better AVI, since it's a better-specified board, with fewer video problems as a rule than WinTV boards. And given a fast enough machine, the AIW will produce far better MPEG output than the PVR. The AIW is also a better overall value, unless you already have a good 3D card.

On the other hand, if you're willing to go beyond 3 Mbit/s for full-D1 video, the PVR might look better to you. Like any half-decent encoder, it can produce good video at 8 Mbit/s without trouble."

Is it true that the AIW produces better Mpeg and AVI files than PVR? (Can anyone verify this?)

2) It doesn't have a video out! (well thats what I read anyway, can anyone verify this too?)

The ATI-AIW does look like a good card too but the problem is that it also has a built in graphics card. I already have one of the best graphics card on the market today, the nVidia GeForce3 Ti200. I simply want to watch TV on my PC, and capture video from digital camera and VCR so that I could make my own VCDs.

My friend has got a Pinnacle PCTV Rave and he always tells me all the wonderful things the card can do. I have considered this card too but it is quite basic, I want to do a bit more.

I once bought a Hauppauge WinTV Primio for my IBM Cyrix computer (ancient I know!), but due to a compatability problem, I had to return it back. I could never watch TV in full screen, but I did manage to watch it in a window although my computer used to freeze up at the same time. So I do have a good idea of how the picture quality of WinTV Primio is like when viewed in a window (which was very sharp). I also have a good idea of how the software is like that comes with Hauppauge TV Cards (I didn't like it that much). I heard that the PVR comes with a similar sort of software with not much else (verification please.)

PLease leave your comments.
<i>When the cup is full, no more can be poured -
When you're full with your opinions, no more wisdom can enter.</i>
Conqueror
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:01 am

I'm looking into getting a capture card at the moment to though I'm more looking for a basic one.
Some useful sites I've come across are
http://www.vcdhelp.com/
This has "116 Capture Cards in the list based on 421 user reports". Click on the Capture Cards link on the left.
From the look of the list there are a few that do MPEG2.

The one that started me off was an old review from Dan's Data.
http://www.dansdata.com/tvphone.htm

It seems to be cheap(A$190) and good out here the PVC is around $600.

becubed
becubed
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Jan 18, 2002 1:18 pm

If you dont wanna go ATI AIW, you can get an ATI TV-Wonder PCI for $50. It's a pass-through card that will give your GF3 all the capabilites of an AIW.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lenzenm on 2002-01-18 12:45 ]</font>
lenzenm
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Fri Jan 18, 2002 9:42 pm

Thanks for the info becubed, those sites look good, I haven't checked them out properly yet, I'm going to look through them now.

Actually, as long as the card displays good quality TV and captures at a resolution of 768x576 MPEG1/AVI, I would be happy with that. MPEG2 is not a requirement, although it would be nice to have.

Lenzenm, I was thinking of doing that, but I didn't know which version of ATI Wonder card to get which did not have a built in graphics card.

Do you know if there are any good TV cards from Hauppauge apart from the PVR, which would allow me to do what I want? Which models are good ones?
<i>When the cup is full, no more can be poured -
When you're full with your opinions, no more wisdom can enter.</i>
Conqueror
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Sat Jan 19, 2002 12:18 am

Conqueror: no experience with the Hauphage stuffs here. As to which ATI, try: http://www.ati.com/na/pages/products/pc ... index.html

Hope that helps.
lenzenm
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2002 1:37 pm

I just got rid of an ATI Wonder VE. The reception was the worst that I've seen. Don't know if I got a bad tuner module or what. I had an AIW 128 and it had really good reception. I ended up buying another WinTV. It has very clear reception. It also works with a separate program that can record TV programs automatically called SnapStream. http://www.snapstream.com I haven't tried it yet, so I can't say what the quality is like.
denverpbc
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Wed Feb 06, 2002 7:24 pm

Hello, I recently had the same dilemna, and decided in the end to go with AVerMedia's AVerTV Studio/Desktop TV PVR. I have had good experiences with it, although I am now trying to sell it because I am most likely going to upgrade my video card to one that has a tv tuner in it. I like this card because it comes with a handy remote, it has decent picture quality, it includes Time shift* (freezing live tv programs) Instant replay, digital recording, FM Radio tuner, and multiple types of inputs. If you have any more questions, contact me.
rys2
Gerbil In Training

Return to Graphics