Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

stefan231
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

PCI mode in agp card

Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:05 pm

Anyone know what PCI mode is and how to turn it off.
My motherboard ASUS TUSL2C
Video card TNT2 Pro

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Birmingham ENGLAND (some say Mars, or was it Uranus)

Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:23 pm

:wink: We'll need a little more info first stefan231.

What is reporting your AGP card is in or using PCI mode (BIOS, Windows, sw)?

What's your mobo chipset and what's the rest of your spec?
I'm doing my best to catch up but life's still just too busy.

stefan231
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

pci mode

Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:07 pm

My chipset is Intel i815ep, card is creative tnt2 pro, sisoftsandra, and the hardware tab of the nvidia drivers is telling me card is in pci mode.

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:33 pm

:( It's 3am over here so to be brief, I would imagine 'PCI mode' would mean that AGP functions are disabled. This is most likely through the BIOS as only the old cards of the 3dfx Voodoo Banshee ilk used a PCI design for an AGP card which resulted in the loss of almost all AGP functions even though the card was in AGP format.

:wink: Things to look for in the BIOS (note any changes you make in the BIOS settings, if they don't help, change them back) include, 'AGP Aperture Size', a setting of 128MB is rec (but try 64MB or 32MB too), 'AGP 4x mode' should usually be enabled (you may have to change it from auto to manual), disable mobo and gfx caches (NOT CPU caches!) and shadows, Setting AGP1x (ie disabling AGP4x in BIOS) will hit perf, but not as badly as it sounds and may remedy the problem, disabe 'PCI Master Read Cache', and finally ensure your AGP has an IRQ assigned in the BIOS. Other than that I would suggest downloading the latest non-beta drivers (manu & chipset websites) for all your hw but particularly your mobo and gfx card. Although do bear in mind it can be older drivers which fix your problem (esp 21.83, 23.11, 27.xx, 29.xx). After each driver change you would be best to reinstall DX8.1 and possibly even use Detonator Destroyer inbetween installing new drivers.

:D Reinstalling the latest version of DX8.1 is rec, esp after an install of gfx drivers. You could try to run DXDIAG, Diplay Tab, DISABLE Direct3D Accel & CLOSE the app. RERUN DXDIAG & ENABLE Direct3D Accel. It should also tell you here if AGP functions are enabled ('DirectX Features' under the Display Tab). Leave the PCI slot next to the AGP alone, maybe try swapping your PCI devices through different slots, it's a good idea to have the PCI blanking plates at the back removed for ventilation anyway. It could be conflicts or resource problems, you could try disabling 'PnP OS' from the BIOS if you're using WinXP, apparently WinXP likes to do things itself. If you use any OS then perhaps setting PnP manually (reserving some resources) or resetting the PnP may also help. Try downloading NVMax. It has the infinite loop fix and other things for nvidia cards. http://www.nvmax.com/ http://www.charnleys.co.uk/NVmax4.exe

:-? Is this a new quirk, have you upgraded the OS or added any new sw or hardware recently? What's the perf hit like in games?

stefan231
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

pci mode

Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:24 pm

My system is overclocked to 1.2Ghz form 1.0Ghz. I went into the bios and changed back to stock speed and now card is running in AGP 4x mode. I was overclocking by turning up the Front Side Bus.

getbornagain
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:39 pm

Austin wrote:
:( It's 3am over here so to be brief, I would imagine 'PCI mode' would mean that AGP functions are disabled. This is most likely through the BIOS as only the old cards of the 3dfx Voodoo Banshee ilk used a PCI design for an AGP card which resulted in the loss of almost all AGP functions even though the card was in AGP format.

:wink: Things to look for in the BIOS (note any changes you make in the BIOS settings, if they don't help, change them back) include, 'AGP Aperture Size', a setting of 128MB is rec (but try 64MB or 32MB too), 'AGP 4x mode' should usually be enabled (you may have to change it from auto to manual), disable mobo and gfx caches (NOT CPU caches!) and shadows, Setting AGP1x (ie disabling AGP4x in BIOS) will hit perf, but not as badly as it sounds and may remedy the problem, disabe 'PCI Master Read Cache', and finally ensure your AGP has an IRQ assigned in the BIOS. Other than that I would suggest downloading the latest non-beta drivers (manu & chipset websites) for all your hw but particularly your mobo and gfx card. Although do bear in mind it can be older drivers which fix your problem (esp 21.83, 23.11, 27.xx, 29.xx). After each driver change you would be best to reinstall DX8.1 and possibly even use Detonator Destroyer inbetween installing new drivers.

:D Reinstalling the latest version of DX8.1 is rec, esp after an install of gfx drivers. You could try to run DXDIAG, Diplay Tab, DISABLE Direct3D Accel & CLOSE the app. RERUN DXDIAG & ENABLE Direct3D Accel. It should also tell you here if AGP functions are enabled ('DirectX Features' under the Display Tab). Leave the PCI slot next to the AGP alone, maybe try swapping your PCI devices through different slots, it's a good idea to have the PCI blanking plates at the back removed for ventilation anyway. It could be conflicts or resource problems, you could try disabling 'PnP OS' from the BIOS if you're using WinXP, apparently WinXP likes to do things itself. If you use any OS then perhaps setting PnP manually (reserving some resources) or resetting the PnP may also help. Try downloading NVMax. It has the infinite loop fix and other things for nvidia cards. http://www.nvmax.com/ http://www.charnleys.co.uk/NVmax4.exe

:-? Is this a new quirk, have you upgraded the OS or added any new sw or hardware recently? What's the perf hit like in games?

this is austin being "breif" just think if he was trying to tell you the "long way" :lol:

glad to hear you got you problem figured out 8)

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:59 am

:lol: Sorry, I intended to be breif, but ended up typing like a mad, erm, Austin I suppose. Should have just typed, 'reset any o/c whenever trouble-shooting, even if it isn't the cause it can make locating the cause very difficult.' Well as it turns out, anyway great that you've got it sorted stefan231.

:oops: I experienced far worse than this myself, I was printing some stuff out for my mother-in-law when the printer kept spitting out garbage. Well my Epson SC640 is getting a little old, but it's excellent quality and cheap to run, however I cursed Epson the most for STILL not having an official WinXP driver. I reset the PC, reinstalled the printer driver ... and plenty more. Well I went to plug in the TVout lead later that day, only to find the Printer lead had some how come out of the back of the PC ever so lightly! Ooops!

getbornagain
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:47 am

hey being helpful is good, i appriciate (well like if you can't figure out that word) when you've help me

yes i know what that's like with stupid cable's or just something little like that in general you try all kind's of crazy stuff when it ends up being something simple like that