Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Gandolf
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

saphire ati card any good

Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:38 pm

ok i recently recieved an ati 7500 to then find out it is actuall made not by at but by a company called saphire from what i know as of right now it is exactly the same as the ati 7500 is there actually any difference between these two cards i know there are better cards but i am only concered with these two right now please help me

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:47 am

Well..I've never heard of a "Saphire" so I can't really tell ya :-? . I have heard, though, that "built by" ATi cards are usually a little better, but I really have no proof..just word of mouth.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:01 am

OK Built By ATI cards are cards made by ATI itself, they tend to run at a higher clock, not sure for the 7500 though.

Powered by ATI cards are anybody elses, check the clock speed to be sure.

Other than that, the Powered ones do pretty well. I just tend to buy the OEM Built By cards for the security and the ease of driver retrival and updates. The price difference isn't THAT much.
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:00 am

Are you in europe by any chance?

Last i heard was that Ati isnt gonna sell their own cards in europe but leave it to others, one store i looked at had pre order for ati 9700 pro.. then they changed it to saphire 9700 pro. So maybe they are just first out.

i heard something about Hercules too... think it was at the Inq....

TheCollective
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:00 am

Built by ATI is really the only way to go. They have the best quality cards IMO.
Resistance is futile.

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Birmingham ENGLAND (some say Mars, or was it Uranus)

Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:11 pm

:wink: I agree TheCollective, but are they worth the extra price, esp with how much that varies dep on country?

:( As said the non-ATI Radeons often use lower clocks (although some use higher) and sadly with Rad7500 some even choke it with SDR instead of DDR. You can tell pretty easily by seeing if you get GF2GTS/GF4MX420 perf or else GF4MX perf would suggest SDR RAM.

:cry: non-ATI Rad manus also often skimp on RAMDACs meaning you lose dual display functionality, other things like image and build quality can also suffer.

:) In general, worst case non-ATI Rad is losing about 10% perf, o/c'ability, dual display, looser (but still not problematic) build quality and a little image quality ... but poor Rad IQ is still better than most GF2 and GF3 cards so all round it isn't too bad even in worst case ... unless you got dumped with an SDR card :-?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:27 pm

Austin wrote:
:cry: non-ATI Rad manus also often skimp on RAMDACs meaning you lose dual display functionality, other things like image and build quality can also suffer.

The Radeon 9000 has two integrated RAMDACs. The Radeon 8500 has one integrated RAMDAC. With it integrated into the graphics chip, it's harder for the board manufacturers to mess things up than with a separate chip.

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2002 ... dex.x?pg=1

Dissonance wrote:
Better multimonitor support — ATI's multimonitor software hasn't changed with the RV250. You can still run multiple monitors with different refresh rates, color depths, and screen resolutions. What has changed is how the chip deals with multiple displays in hardware. The original R200 GPU integrated a single RAMDAC for VGA output and a single TMDS transmitter interface to drive DVI-capable monitors like flat-panel LCDs. Output to a second VGA monitor, connected via a DVI-to-VGA adapter, had to be handled by a second, board-mounted RAMDAC, and TV output was handled by ATI's Rage Theatre chip.
Third-party manufacturers flooded the market with a lot of R200-based boards, and many cut out that second RAMDAC, presumably to save money. Cutting out the second RAMDAC castrated the R200's multiple monitor support, making it impossible to run two VGA monitors, even with a DVI-to-VGA adapter. For consumers, this was a nightmare; support for two VGA monitors didn't appear to be standardized for R200-based products in any way. ATI's own boards had the extra RAMDAC, but boards from Hercules using identical R200 GPUs lacked that all-important second RAMDAC.

The RV250 solves all the multimonitor uncertainty by integrating a single TMDS transmitter interface in addition to two 400MHz RAMDACs. Also, there's a TV encoder right on the GPU. Any graphics board using the RV250 chip, regardless of manufacturer, should have support for dual VGA monitors via a DVI-to-VGA adapter. The Radeon 9000 Pro's simpler and cheaper board design doesn't require a second RAMDAC or a Rage Theatre chip. Consumers should now know better what kind of multimonitor support they're getting, regardless of the brand of Radeon 9000 Pro they're purchasing.

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Birmingham ENGLAND (some say Mars, or was it Uranus)

Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:56 pm

:wink: Yep and it's very cool JustAnEngineer. I'd read that but had 7500 and 8500 in mind. It is a shame the Rad9000/9000pro cards are inferior to Rad8500/8500LE (but then that's ATI's point). Even so the Rad9000 cards are definitely a big step up from Rad7500 cards, even the ones with DDR :lol: