Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

debbygson
Gerbil
Topic Author

Green Display with Catalyst Drivers..HELP! TIA

Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:35 pm

Hi, I have an ATI 8500 128 mb built by ATI. Every time I install ANY version of the catalyst drivers, including the new ones release sept 12. I run into two problems. The first and most problemsome is that my diplay suddenly turns green. Everything has a nasty green tint to it. Now this tint is not there during the Windows bootp up screen (I am using XP pro, btw), but as soon as the login screen pops up..yech GREEN! Oh and adjusting the colr settings in the advanced options doesn't help, becasue as soon as I fire up a game, the green returns. My second problem is I suddenly have a scrolling desktop, and I have no isea how to return to my oldskool plain jane non-moveable desktop, this especially sucks when playing games, because they don't scroll, leaving you with only a fixed portion of the screen to play on. Here is what I ahve done so far, adjusted my monitor color (which doesn't help because green is locked,why do they do that?), installed monitor drivers (no plug-n-play for this chick), installed a mobo agp driver the latest and greatest for my POS SIS735, and last but not least I have swore like a sailor on shore leave at this thing til I am blue in the face, someone help.

I never had problems when I had a Nvidia card and when the NV30 comes out I am switching back, fo sho.

debbygson
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:15 pm

The best thing is ATI lists this on their site as one of the known problems. They say they fixed it in the catalyst 2.3 but they didn't, liars.

debbygson
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:34 pm

Well gee gooly, where all the ATI fanboys when you need them. Why does an ATI8500 think my monitor is a HDTV or yprpb or whatever they call it? Why is my display green? why don't the new drivers fix this problem, considering the readme.txt witht the list of fixes says it does? Why is it so hard to get tech support from ATI? Hows come no one can answer my questions? :roll:

dmitriylm
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:53 pm

The only problem is that youre running an ATI card. Solution= get something not made by ATI.

debbygson
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:59 pm

Thanks i figured that one out a while back but I am waiting for the NV30. No since in getting a 4600 with the new card release being so close, is there? I bought this 8500 128 mb right before the geforce4 was released and have been dissapointed I didn't wait one more week ever since.

getbornagain
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:48 pm

well i suppose it could be ati, but yet the fact remains that i don't have any such problem with xp pro and an r8500 so.... yea i'm not sure what to tell ya though if ya got the newest dirvers and you have played with your monitor setting

debbygson
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2002 7:51 am

I am pretty sure this problem only occurs on the 8500 128mb that has digital out etc... ATI acknowledges the problem and says download the newest drivers, but this doesn't fix a thing. LOL, go check out there list of bugs and you will notice they rarely fix anything, they just say, "well yeah we are aware of the problem and we are working on it, in the meantime download the newest drivers, it won't help but it will give you something to do." Plus check out are l337 all CAPS CATALYST! We are very very proud of the name, in fact that is all we really do around here is just sit around coming up with new names for our stuff, remember "rage"? that was one of our favorites escpecially when coupled with the semi- redundant fury. RAGE FURY.Tack on the suffix Pro and you got yourself one hell of a fine name, if I don't say so myself. Lately we have been trying to come up with a catchy synonym for catylyst to duplicate the RAGE Fury Pro trifecta, so far all we have is , Catylyst Accelerator for your 3d accelerator, what ya think?

getbornagain
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:39 am

well i suppose i really don't know about the dvi out but i've really heard nothing but good stuff about ati's 2d so i guess i really don't know

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:17 am

I've never ever heard of this problem before. Do you have another monitor you can test with?

debbygson
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2002 1:49 pm

Unfortunatley, I don't have another monitor. But that is a good suggestion, in fact that is one of the ATI approved ," fixes" (best done while using finger quotes, and silently mouthing the word fixes) believe it or not. They suggest to plug in two monitors at the same time and the problem goes away, voila. Well, first off I don't have the room or the money to have two monitors. But I will borrow one from sombnody and see if this is monitor specific. And secondly what kind of a fix is that? Thats like saying, our product works if you shell out another $200 on a third party product.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:30 pm

If you're in the overall PA area, I'll give you a nice Compaq 15".