Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Sauron
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:37 am

Hey everyone,
Well, I fired up my new computer for the first time last night and everything appears to be working very smoothly. The only hiccup I could notice was when playing a DVD. I put Gladiator in and the movie appeared to "shutter" or "skip" every now and then. I went to the ATi diagnostic feature and it passed everything on my system except the voltage test for "+/-0.2%" I guess mine came back saying, "Soundcard has clock stability of -0.54%"
Any ideas?
I'm working in XP and keep in mind, I haven't installed any updated drivers for the ATi card, bios, or Audigy. It's probably coming from that, but since I haven't heard of this problem before, I thought I would pass it on for opinion. Thanks.

WIN XP
Dragon+
1800 XP
512 DDR
60 GB HDD
Audigy
ATi 8500 (OEM)

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Feb 17, 2002 5:40 pm

Audigies have something of a reputation for horrible sync/lag problems. Supposedly you can get newer drivers that fix the problem, but I just dumped CL instead. Good luck.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:43 pm

The -12v line has an interaction with modern sound cards.

If you were receiving no voltage from that line you would not receive any sound at all.

If your power supply is providing inadequate power on that voltage line it could be impacting your sound cards performance and even perhaps the characteristics of its behavior.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.