Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

taosk8r
Gerbil
Topic Author

Videocard issues (Geforce FX vs. Radeon 9700 Pro AIW)

Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:04 pm

I just posted the bulk of this in response to response to an earlier thread I started about monitors, but it occurred that the bulk of it was about video cards, and since I really do need some input on these issues unrelated to the monitor thing, I thought I'd post it here..

I'm getting pretty close to settling on a ATI 9700 Pro AIW for it's future-proofness, but mostly for the excellent TV stuff it does (and the remote control!), with the video editing stuff being an added bonus should I decide to jump into DTV at some point in the future. Especially after finding one company on pricewatch that seems to be offering the dang thing for $355 even though it lists the standard 400 something on the actual pricewatch site!

My only reservations at this point are the oncoming NV30 although personal cinema is probably a good ways off for that chipset, and unlikely to be in the same feature ballpark, and the lack of adequate cooling available on the AIW version. Not to mention the whole betamax vs. VHS thing as for as CG (C for graphics), and the competing ATI standard go, anthough it looks like ATI may have a chance to win this battle to some degree it does somewhat concern me about Command and Conquer: Generals being all NV30 specific (which begs the question, will it look as good on the Radeon 9700 Pro?)..

What do yall think about these issues?
-taosk8r