Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

gbaj
Gerbil
Topic Author

LCD monitor advice

Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:30 pm

Hello, I am looking for an high quality 15" LCD monitor. I like the samsung 151P... is it a good option? What about Eizo? I can't spend more than 600$. Are there great image differences between these monitors and others like the Samsung SM 151S or I won't appreciate it?
I can get a SM151S for less than 300$, so I don't know if to spend 500$ or 600$ is reasonable.

Another question. It will be my first LCD monitor. Is the image quality much better than a CRT's? Is it as bad for the eyes as a CRT?

Thanks

Dissonance
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:38 pm

http://tech-report.com/reviews/2002q4/lcds/index.x?pg=1

That might help answer some of your questions and give you a good place to start.

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:18 pm

The Samsung 15" LCDs are among the best. I've also seen an HP 15" I really liked, although I don't know the model number. It very well could've been a Samsung rebadged.

Your best bet might be to go to a store that has them on display.

LCDs are most definitely better on your eyes, especially if your previous CRT was only running 75hz or less. As for image quality, I think at native resolution they at least take sharpness and readability (unless someone wants to produce pictures of a CRT that are better than I've already posted a few times from my LCD). DVI helps more, and is really necessary at high resolutions. Generally contrast isn't as good as a CRT, and sometimes pure dark black is hard for LCDs to produce.

Overall for me the LCD was worth it. Prices are just dropping so fast now, they're becoming a worthwhile tradeoff for more and more people.