Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Scott46835
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Video Card for AGP 1.0 200 watt PS

Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:11 am

I want to upgrade my video card from the current Riva TNT2 to something that supports "transform and lighting". I've looked at all the Nvidia GeForce and ATI Radeon models, and have determined that it's not a question of what card is the best, but rather what will work with my system:

Gateway Select 700
AMD Athlon 700 mhz, Model 2 (Classic)
Jabil AMD R4 mobo with AGP 1.0 (3.3v keyed slot)
supporting 1x/2x transfer rates
Newton 200 watt power supply
128 mb SDRAM DIMM

I have a few specific questons. I know that the GeForce cards require 250 to 350 watts, but haven't found any power requirements specs for the Radeon cards. Anyone know what a Radeon 8500 or 9000 would require?

Also, I believe the Radeon models I mentioned will work with my mobo's AGP slot - the ATI website says the "newer products are keyed 'Universal AGP', and may operate in AGP 1.0". But I have found conflicting information on the GeForce cards.

PNY says their cards require "an available 2.0 AGP slot", but in a FAQ says that "the AGP interface allows signaling at either 3.3 volts or 1.5 volts." XFX says it requires AGP 2x or AGP 2x/4x universal slot, but doesn't say anything about which AGP version it supports. I found a Leadtek GeForce4MX440 spec that said the interface was "AGP 4x/2x system bus (AGP 2.0 and 1.0 compliant)", but in a Leadtek FAQ it says that "all GeForce line of graphic cards required AGP 2.0 slot support..."

I'm confused - am I stuck with a Radeon or will a GeForce work without upgrading the mobo? Any advise would be appreciated.

Scott

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:35 am

To be honest, I don't know if anything past a TNT is not 1.5v only. I can't quite remember if Nvidia ditched 3.3v after the TNT2 or the Geforce 256 DDR/GF2 MX series.

Your best bet would probably be a GF2 MX400 (under $60). I'd try giving one of the manufacturers an email and asking specifically. eVGA has good tech support, so you might try asking them (http://www.evga.com). They also still make a large variety of GF2 MX cards so you might consider buying one of their cards.

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Birmingham ENGLAND (some say Mars, or was it Uranus)

Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:51 pm

:wink: Running a modern card in AGP2x mode won't hurt perf much at all, your CPU will be by far the more limiting factor. I'm pretty sure all GF cards will work in the old 3.3v AGP1.0 spec slots and all Radeons should too, certainly up to Rad9100. The Radeons are known to be gentler and certainly less power hungry than the nVidia alternatives so I'd advise you look for a Radeon card. Depending where you live the Rad8500 series is the best buy and can be had for roughly US$80. The Rad9000PRO (only consider the PRO version) is a little inferior to the Rad8500 so only go for it if it's notably cheaper. A Rad7500 is also a decent buy but like the GF2 and GF4MX it is DX7 rather than DX8 technology although your CPU will limit things more than the technology of your card. If you do want an nVidia card then a GF4MX is prob the best to go for, the GF3 and GF4TI are much more hungry.

8) Do see what CPU your mobo can handle and look at a possible CPU or CPU+mobo upgrade in thenear future, until then a Rad7500, Rad9000PRO or any decently clocked Rad8500 would be my suggestions.