how to detect refurbished monitors?

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Postposted on Wed Feb 27, 2002 7:07 pm

I found a Viewsonic P790 monitor for a great deal ($200), but I suspect that it may have been refurbished, despite the salesperson's claim that it's new.
Is there any way that I can distinguish between a brand-new monitor and a refurbished one? Thanks!
Paladin
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Wed Feb 27, 2002 7:18 pm

Probably not without opening the box, and only maybe then. I would be more likely to suspect that it is a display model and being sold cheaply for that reason. If it is a refurb, only real difference will be in the warranty. Viewsonic normally caries 3 year limited warranties. I would suspect a refurbe would only carry a one year at most, a 30 day or so at least. If the box has been opened, find out why. If it is a refurb, most likely the box will have a big pink "refurb" sticker on it, and the paper work inside will most likely have a slip saying it is a refurb and carries a much shorter warranty.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SecretSquirrel on 2002-02-27 18:20 ]</font>
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Return to Graphics