Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

junedog123
Gerbil In Training

Re: ATI aspect ratio scaling fix: Windows 7 + Catalyst 9.12

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:59 am

Just want to make sure I got this right. You guys are saying that I'm basically out of luck until the bug is fixed in a "possible" quarterly release of the legacy drivers. That sucks. Looks like I'm stuck in one resolution until that happens. Windows 7 is nice, but had I know this I might have just kept with the old OS. Thanks for all the input. If anyone has anymore ideas, I'll be happy to try them out.

c0d3h4x0r
Gerbil

Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 am

junedog123 wrote:
Just want to make sure I got this right. You guys are saying that I'm basically out of luck until the bug is fixed in a "possible" quarterly release of the legacy drivers. That sucks. Looks like I'm stuck in one resolution until that happens. Windows 7 is nice, but had I know this I might have just kept with the old OS. Thanks for all the input. If anyone has anymore ideas, I'll be happy to try them out.

Yes, what you just wrote is correct.
AMD has really f--ked up with their ATI drivers for Windows 7.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:18 am

While the instructions in the initial post worked for me on my DX10 4890 in WIN 7 x64, there is a few issues in some games. For some reason in games like Prey and Quake 4 is causes the mouse to show no movement. What a drag.

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:29 pm

But don't those two support any resolution available?
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Yes, I never had a problem with the games before the fix, they ran fine widescreen and such. After they look the same, but the mouse won't move. It's weird.

c0d3h4x0r
Gerbil

Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:19 am

WORKAROUND FOR OWNERS OF LEGACY DX9 ATI PRODUCTS:
Install the 8.x series Catalyst driver for Windows Vista onto Windows 7.
The driver works fine on Windows 7, and the scaling/stretching/aspect-ratio settings actually work correctly in the CCC.

Example:
I installed an older Catalyst driver for Vista 64, dated 1/22/2008, version 8.453.0.0 of the actual driver according to Device Manager, version 2008.0122.1519.27310 according to "About..." in the Catalyst Control Center. The scaling/stretching options work fine under Windows 7 x64.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:47 am

Hmmm, I wonder if using a previous version for DX10 Mobile users will fix this issue for us... any word on that Code?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

c0d3h4x0r
Gerbil

Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:08 am

Welch wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder if using a previous version for DX10 Mobile users will fix this issue for us... any word on that Code?

I don't know. I don't have a notebook with a DX10 ATI device. But, my desktop machine has a Radeon HD 4890 which is DX10 and uses the new non-legacy driver. I'll try an older driver on it and see if it restores the GPU scaling features there.

But clearly, the results from my notebook with the DX9 device and the older driver proves that this is NOT something that Windows 7 was responsible for breaking, because the older 8.xx Catalyst's scaling/stretching options work fine on Windows 7. There must be a bug in the newer 9.x Catalyst drivers.

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:53 pm

c0d3h4x0r wrote:
WORKAROUND FOR OWNERS OF LEGACY DX9 ATI PRODUCTS:
Install the 8.x series Catalyst driver for Windows Vista onto Windows 7.
The driver works fine on Windows 7, and the scaling/stretching/aspect-ratio settings actually work correctly in the CCC.

Example:
I installed an older Catalyst driver for Vista 64, dated 1/22/2008, version 8.453.0.0 of the actual driver according to Device Manager, version 2008.0122.1519.27310 according to "About..." in the Catalyst Control Center. The scaling/stretching options work fine under Windows 7 x64.

Did you happen to test 9.1,9.2,9 or 9.3? Also you could probably use a version that wasn't quite that old. Try 8.12 and see if scaling is broken.

I wonder what's going on with this scaling issue then. Both ATI and nVidia are affected and it's been several months now since Windows 7 went RTM. Plus, they broke it for Vista as well :-?

c0d3h4x0r
Gerbil

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:04 am

Zoomastigophora wrote:
Did you happen to test 9.1,9.2,9 or 9.3?

I tried 9.3. The GPU scaling/stretching options are missing/broken in 9.3

bAtER
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:10 pm

ironically on the Windows 7 RC, I didn't have any of these problems. My games would play no matter what, and I didn't even install the ATI drivers. Now however I'm having so many issues. I'm running Windows 7 on an iMac and I just reinstalled Windows 7 after hearing about apple's new Windows 7 bootcamp 3.1 support. However, I'm still have the same issues with my smaller resolution games getting centered with black bars all around. What pisses me off the most is that it worked in the RC! Please, don't make me go back to Windows XP again. HELP!

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:04 pm

bAtER wrote:
ironically on the Windows 7 RC, I didn't have any of these problems. My games would play no matter what, and I didn't even install the ATI drivers. Now however I'm having so many issues. I'm running Windows 7 on an iMac and I just reinstalled Windows 7 after hearing about apple's new Windows 7 bootcamp 3.1 support. However, I'm still have the same issues with my smaller resolution games getting centered with black bars all around. What pisses me off the most is that it worked in the RC! Please, don't make me go back to Windows XP again. HELP!

Have you tried any of the workarounds suggested in this thread?

bAtER
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:33 pm

Zoomastigophora wrote:
Have you tried any of the workarounds suggested in this thread?

Yeah I have. The resolution thing doesn't work for me at all. As soon as I hit apply it just goes back to the centered option that it had before.

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:35 pm

bAtER wrote:
Yeah I have. The resolution thing doesn't work for me at all. As soon as I hit apply it just goes back to the centered option that it had before.

What card do you have?

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:57 pm

bAtER wrote:

Assuming you were using my workaround: the grayed-out option doesn't usually reflect what you chose before when you were in a lesser resolution. For example, I switch to 1440x900 down from 1680x1050 in order to be able to pick aspect-ratio scaling. Then when I go back to 1680x1050, the scaling option is greyed out on "scale to full panel size", even though if I use a lower resolution, it's scaling as intended it to be.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:58 pm

I'm still thoroughly confused at what freaking driver I should even be looking for to download for this laptop. From reports by CodeHax about, he says that the Mobility 2600 series is supported by windows 7, and is not apart of the legacy drivers. However if I go to Toshiba's website there is not Win7 drivers for it, and to get drivers for the ATI 2600 mobility I had to say Mobility Radeon (so that it wouldn't lead me back to Toshiba's website) and I instead get a screen for a 9.9 download.... which once you start to download it says "Beta" at the end of it as though its still for the Win 7 RC Beta...... WTF? Damnit, if I were running ATI and knew this **** to be an issue... I would have popped out and made it public on the website "HERES WHAT YOU CAN DO..... HERES WHAT YOU CANT" Its sad to think that they can have some of the best hardware out, but have the worst driver support. Thats one thing i miss about having an Nvidia card, easy drivers.

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:15 pm

Welch wrote:
Thats one thing i miss about having an Nvidia card, easy drivers.

Care for what you wish... I had this same exact scaling issue with my 8800GTX and *no* workaround at all. At the time Vista had come out and Nvidia stopped giving a damn about XP users for the better part of a year. So in the end I've seen both manufacturers drop the ball with this. And Nvidia's record with laptop drivers isn't any better or worse. I have here a laptop with a 6200-Go for which I couldn't find any W7 drivers that had acceleration. Had to revert to XP. All in all I consider both ATI and Nvidia just as good/bad with their driver support.

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:02 pm

Welch wrote:
I'm still thoroughly confused at what freaking driver I should even be looking for to download for this laptop. From reports by CodeHax about, he says that the Mobility 2600 series is supported by windows 7, and is not apart of the legacy drivers. However if I go to Toshiba's website there is not Win7 drivers for it, and to get drivers for the ATI 2600 mobility I had to say Mobility Radeon (so that it wouldn't lead me back to Toshiba's website) and I instead get a screen for a 9.9 download.... which once you start to download it says "Beta" at the end of it as though its still for the Win 7 RC Beta...... WTF? Damnit, if I were running ATI and knew this **** to be an issue... I would have popped out and made it public on the website "HERES WHAT YOU CAN DO..... HERES WHAT YOU CANT" Its sad to think that they can have some of the best hardware out, but have the worst driver support. Thats one thing i miss about having an Nvidia card, easy drivers.

Just remember this for mobility drivers:
HD2xxx and on - Use Mobility Modder with appropriate Catalyst version for your Windows from AMD GAME site.
X1k and below - Use Mobility Modder with appropriate legacy Catalyst version for your Windows (Windows 7 users will need to resort to using Vista versions as AMD does not seem to have any plans to update the legacy drivers for Windows 7 support).

Just ignore OEM VGA drivers; they tend to be outdated and not any different from AMD drivers.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:28 pm

Yeah, its just lame that you have to use the mobility modder to run something... very lame.

Ohh , I didn't mean that Nvidia doesn't have problems with their driver releases and bugs/fixes that need to be made (including this issue). Just that you simple get one of like 2 or 3 drivers, and BAM thats it. No figuring out which version or whether your using a mobile chip, just all unified. Sure the file is larger but who really cares with connections averaging 10mbps and hitting 15 no problem these days. You can download that 100-200 megs in a matter of a minute. I'm assuming that nvidia's drivers are still like this, no need to use Mobile drivers vs desktop parts right? Thats something that with ATI can easily throw off a person when you consider Legacy, non-legacy, still in Beta but "will be supported... eventually" and then non Win7 supported for both mobile and non-mobile and god knows what else... then show drivers and catalyst... uhhh. Still looking forward to a revision on how ATI does their drivers. How about this... go Microsoft style. You download a 1mb little file that automatically detects what card you have EXACTLY and then sends back to the server to download/install the proper driver. Their current drivers you download already look for detection on whether your card matches the driver version your attempting to install.

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:02 pm

Welch wrote:
Yeah, its just lame that you have to use the mobility modder to run something... very lame.

Ohh , I didn't mean that Nvidia doesn't have problems with their driver releases and bugs/fixes that need to be made (including this issue). Just that you simple get one of like 2 or 3 drivers, and BAM thats it. No figuring out which version or whether your using a mobile chip, just all unified. Sure the file is larger but who really cares with connections averaging 10mbps and hitting 15 no problem these days. You can download that 100-200 megs in a matter of a minute. I'm assuming that nvidia's drivers are still like this, no need to use Mobile drivers vs desktop parts right?

That's not quite accurate. nVidia has similarly dropped support for older chips in their current drivers. Current drivers support only back to GeForce 6xxx series. If you have an older card, you will have to settle using a driver from 2006 since nVidia simply drops support for old chips entirely from their drivers. AMD at least keeps their older products on this legacy product support cycle, although I can't see them developing a Windows 7 WDDM 1.1 compliant driver since Vista WDDM 1.0 work fine in Windows 7.

On the mobile front, nVidia was on the same boat as AMD up until recently. They too said that mobility product support was done through the OEM and so did not provide any drivers. In fact, ATI was technically the first one to offer mobility drivers for their products as long as your laptop manufacturer was on the supported list of OEMs; nVidia had no such thing. It wasn't until a couple of months ago when nVidia decided to completely ignore OEM restrictions and began providing mobility ForceWare, which is separate from the desktop ForceWare.

So really, neither side has a perfect arrangement in this.

sabrewulf165
Gerbil

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:21 pm

This isn't new to 9.12. It's been this way since W7 came out. Why in god's name they don't change it to something slightly more intuitive is beyond me.

Everize
Gerbil In Training

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:42 am

I have kind of a problem, i want to scale my resolution to be at native 800 x 600 meaning enabling gpu scaling and using centered image to have black bars in Counter Strike Source, ive tried everything and it doesnt seem to scale... I enabled gpu scaling and selected centered image it worked for my desktop and had black bars all around but ingame it resize it to full screen size instead of giving me black bars, im using Samsung Syncmaster T220, radeon 4850 card. Summary : Scaling doesn't work in css for me, just on desktop...

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:50 pm

On another note, for those of us with this issue... hopefully the new 10.3 mobile drivers will finally fix the scaling issue we are having (one can only hope). Or perhaps one of it subsequent monthly drivers will solve the problem.

As for your CS:S issue, I'd venture to say that you will have to setup a specific Launch Option for CS:S to display border, or play it at actual resolution, or perhaps manually in the launch option tell it to play it at the lower 800x600 resolution.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:30 am

By the way........ The 10.3 update DOES in fact fix this issue. I just installed a 10.3 leaked driver, the new CCC and all and Borderlands will not play at lower res and stretched. However, I did notice that it will stretch it almost 100% but with certain resolutions that are not the same aspect it will leave a small border around them, which is perfectly fine. I can run 640x480 if I wish on my 1440x900 screen and it will stretch it whereas before it would make it a REALLY small little bordered window. Just thought everyone should know so you don't bother banging your head against a wall, just wait for 10.3 :)

c0d3h4x0r
Gerbil

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:01 am

Zoomastigophora wrote:
It's actually been this way since ATI adopted a unified driver architecture and called it Catalyst.

It's still non-obvious. I've been using the Catalyst drivers for over 3 years and I never realized that was their numbering system.

Zoomastigophora wrote:
AMD currently releases drivers monthly for the regular Catalyst. The legacy drivers are on a quarterly update schedule, but AMD hasn't been very consistent with that so far. We'll see if February brings a new driver for legacy.

You're not telling me anything I don't already know. My complaint is with the lack of any recent updates for the legacy drivers. AMD has been incredibly lazy and unhelpful for owners of their legacy products who have upgraded to Windows 7 and hit unforgivably obvious blocking-class bugs like this GPU scaling problem.

Zoomastigophora wrote:
It's also unreasonable to dictate a release schedule for WHQL certification as WHQL is not just for graphics drivers and is also not the goal of the program (and not every hardware vendor has the resources to develop and test drivers monthly). It's also not mandatory for hardware vendors to participate in it.

There's nothing unreasonable about it. Either WHQL needs to do FAR more thorough testing on a specific driver release before certifying it, or they need to dictate an ongoing frequent release schedule for the drivers until all known issues are fixed. If a device maker wants to get that WHQL certification and be able to advertise it, then their drivers had better damned well work correctly. There's nothing unreasonable about that.

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:24 pm

c0d3h4x0r wrote:
It's still non-obvious. I've been using the Catalyst drivers for over 3 years and I never realized that was their numbering system.

Yea, I can understand that, especially since there's no explanation about it anywhere.

c0d3h4x0r wrote:
You're not telling me anything I don't already know. My complaint is with the lack of any recent updates for the legacy drivers. AMD has been incredibly lazy and unhelpful for owners of their legacy products who have upgraded to Windows 7 and hit unforgivably obvious blocking-class bugs like this GPU scaling problem.

Agreed. Just putting that info out there for other people who don't follow every little change AMD does to their driver support.

c0d3h4x0r wrote:
There's nothing unreasonable about it. Either WHQL needs to do FAR more thorough testing on a specific driver release before certifying it, or they need to dictate an ongoing frequent release schedule for the drivers until all known issues are fixed. If a device maker wants to get that WHQL certification and be able to advertise it, then their drivers had better damned well work correctly. There's nothing unreasonable about that.

You're going to have a hard time convincing Microsoft to do that much tracking and testing for every single IHV. If I'm not mistaken, WHQL is also more about drivers conforming to standard Windows practices and ensuring a base minimum of functionality across whichever versions of Windows the IHV gets certified for. Maybe in the future, we'll see a standardized feature support set like we see with audio and the Intel HD Audio standard.

I suppose as a consumer, I understand where you're coming from, but from a software engineering and business standpoint, there are tradeoffs in engineering time and monetary resources that need to be made. The reason that professional GPU lines cost so much is exactly because they do what you ask for. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not defending ATI for this specific issue because there really is no reason scaling should be broken, but on the whole I understand that they can't fix every single little bug for time/money/manpower reasons while still adding new features.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:23 pm

It's the same numbering as Ubuntu. 10.4 will be April, 10.10 will be October, etc.

Regardless, the current Catalyst 10.2 (modded using MobilityModder.NET) is running on my wife's laptop and 4:3 resolutions display pillarboxed both on the desktop and in a game.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

KayDat
Gerbil In Training

Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:57 am

Am I right in assuming most people here are running laptops? I'm a little confused, since I'm trying to get aspect scaling working on my Win7 desktop box with my X1800, and people are talking about Mobility Modder.

In any case, thanks to the tip-off by c0d3h4x0r, I tried downloading and installing 8.12 Catalyst, but with no luck. Driver simply didn't seem to want to work with my card. But then it occurred to me, the aspect scaling option is part of CCC, not quite dependent on the driver itself. So I tried installing only CCC and running on the Windows WDDM drivers, and voila! You have aspect scaling on your digital panels! =D (An extra bonus is that you can adjust resolution and other monitor settings within CCC again, though I've found you need to use the Windows Screen Resolution settings as well.)

As a matter of fact, you can even "update" to legacy 10.2 drivers. Just go device manager -> Display adapters -> <your gfx card> -> Driver tab -> Update Driver -> Browse Computer -> Pick from list -> Have disk -> Browse -> <path to driver>. In my case, it was something like this: C:\ATI\Support\10-02_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH6A_INF. If you wish to fall back to Windows default driver, pick the driver with (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) in the name from the list of drivers before you click on the Have disk button.

So in short, to get Aspect Scaling for legacy card:
  1. Download 8.12 (Previous Vista64 Catalyst drivers, previous Vista32 Catalyst drivers, previous WinXP Catalyst drivers)
  2. Run the downloaded .exe, and choose Custom install. Deselect all options except for Catalyst Control Centre.
  3. Download latest legacy Catalyst (Legacy for Vista64, legacy for Vista32, legacy for WinXP)
  4. Run the downloaded .exe to extract, but cancel the actual installer.
  5. Device manager -> Display adapters -> <your gfx card> -> Driver tab -> Update Driver -> Browse Computer -> Pick from list -> Have disk -> Browse -> <path to driver> (Again, likely to be something like this: C:\ATI\Support\10-02_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH6A_INF)
  6. Finish driver installation. You are now a winner. =]

Now of course, there are some problems; why else would ATI/AMD disable Aspect Scaling in the first place? Here are some that I've encountered.
All Driver versions
With only a single monitor enabled, aspect scaling works 100%
You need to untick Enable GPU scaling between each time you change the Image Scaling mode. That, or you need to change resolution before the mode change kicks in.
Monitor Refresh rate must be 60Hz (or 59Hz for my monitor for some strange reason). This might explain Everize's CSS problem.

Windows WDDM driver
Dual monitor, scaling constantly resets back to Scale image to full panel size

10.2 legacy
Clone mode always resets to Use centered timings
Extended desktop very flaky, monitors may automatically disable themselves when changing resolution or enabling/disabling GPU scaling. Works fine if both monitors are in naitive res tho. If you encounter this problem and you can't get one of your monitors back on, go to Screen Resolution settings in Windows, set Multiple displays to Duplicate desktop -> Apply -> set Multiple displays to Extend desktop -> Apply.

Now, I can't say for sure if it's like this for all computers; it may actually be a problem with DVI/VGA combos, and some of the dual monitor problems I've encountered may go away entirely if both monitors run off DVI. I did manage to get extended desktop running on 10.2 legacy drivers with Aspect Scaling, but it was static, in the sense that if you/other programs changed resolution, it would default back to full screen stretched.

Feel free to experiment, I've found that getting Aspect Scaling working is a complicated, convoluted and downright confusing dance of fiddling with Image Scaling settings, Screen Resolution settings in Windows and Displays Manager in CCC. Good luck!

Kaleid
Gerbil

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:57 am

Try this small GPU scaling fix:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/kijphc

Works for me in Win7 Ultimate x64.

KayDat
Gerbil In Training

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:20 am

Tool doesn't work on legacy drivers.