Free New Graphics Card courtesy of EVGA

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Free New Graphics Card courtesy of EVGA

Postposted on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:23 am

I just wanted to share with everyone the good experience I had with EVGA customer service and that I got a new graphics card.

My old 8800 GTS 320 meg had always shown some signs of overheating and instability and eventually about a month ago it gave up the fight. Fortunately I was about to head home for Christmas so I filled an problem report with EVGA saying it needed to be RMA'ed. In literally 10 minutes I had an e-mail back with an RMA number and 5 minutes later had an RMA code. They didn't question my knowledge on the issue or anything. I sent the card off to them and they sent me back a nicely upgraded 8800 GTS 512meg which is really a nice step up in terms of power. In addition its much more stable so I can reliably overclock my cpu from 2.133 to 3.2 (its an old c2d e6420). Now I'm playing dragon age with max graphics 4xAA silky smooth instead of a slightly choppy high no AA.

kudos to EVGA :D
ApockofFork
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: Free New Graphics Card courtesy of EVGA

Postposted on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:32 am

Yup, EVGA is awesome. I had a busted 8800gts 640MB and they sent me back a 9800GTX+. This is the reason i really hope they start to make ATI Cards as well so that way i can stay with EVGA no matter which camp I'm with at the time.
Bastage:
Ci7 3930K @ 4.56Ghz//16GB//MSI X79A-GD65//Noctua NH-D14 se2011//180GB Intel SSD 520
XFX 5850 1GB @775/1200 //X-Fi Titanium HD//Dell U2410(A01)+2001FP//OCZ ZX 850W
ucisilentbob
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:58 pm
Location: Garden Grove, California

Re: Free New Graphics Card courtesy of EVGA

Postposted on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:55 am

ucisilentbob wrote:Yup, EVGA is awesome. I had a busted 8800gts 640MB and they sent me back a 9800GTX+. This is the reason i really hope they start to make ATI Cards as well so that way i can stay with EVGA no matter which camp I'm with at the time.

I agree, they tried to get the license from ATI from what I heard but ATI basically told them "Heck no" or something. :(

ATI + EVGA = Graphics Heaven.
Hemotoxin
Gerbil
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Free New Graphics Card courtesy of EVGA

Postposted on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:46 pm

ucisilentbob wrote:Yup, EVGA is awesome. I had a busted 8800gts 640MB and they sent me back a 9800GTX+. This is the reason i really hope they start to make ATI Cards as well so that way i can stay with EVGA no matter which camp I'm with at the time.


So instead of giving you a new 8800 Gts 640mb they sent you a better one?
wtf lolz
JuicyFruitSweeT
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Free New Graphics Card courtesy of EVGA

Postposted on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:51 pm

JuicyFruitSweeT wrote:So instead of giving you a new 8800 Gts 640mb they sent you a better one?
wtf lolz


This is the regular practice even from "lesser" companies. It doesn't make sense to keep around stock of older graphics card. It's cheaper to replace them with similar price level current generation cards.
Skrying
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:37 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Free New Graphics Card courtesy of EVGA

Postposted on Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:39 pm

when cards are discontinued newer parts still in production end up actually cheaper
also the 8800 and 9800 share the same chip usually, a g92 I think
potatochobit
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 919
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:56 pm

Re: Free New Graphics Card courtesy of EVGA

Postposted on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:05 pm

***Waves Arms***
Thread Resurrect

Well the 8800 GTS 512MB EVGA kindly sent me all those years ago, as a replacement for my 8800 320 mb, up and died a week ago and I sent it in for an RMA. I got notice that my RMA was accepted and a new card is on its way. Anyone want to see if they can correctly guess the replacement card they're sending me? I honestly have no idea what they'll replace that now ancient piece of technology with (assuming they don't have any old cards in stock).

From looking through their website it would appear they don't do real lifetime warranties anymore which is a shame but I can see why now that I'm on my third graphics card from them.

Anyways guesses? :lol:
ApockofFork
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: Free New Graphics Card courtesy of EVGA

Postposted on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:20 pm

ApockofFork wrote:***Waves Arms***
Thread Resurrect

Well the 8800 GTS 512MB EVGA kindly sent me all those years ago, as a replacement for my 8800 320 mb, up and died a week ago and I sent it in for an RMA. I got notice that my RMA was accepted and a new card is on its way. Anyone want to see if they can correctly guess the replacement card they're sending me? I honestly have no idea what they'll replace that now ancient piece of technology with (assuming they don't have any old cards in stock).

From looking through their website it would appear they don't do real lifetime warranties anymore which is a shame but I can see why now that I'm on my third graphics card from them.

Anyways guesses? :lol:


9800GT, it was so ubiquitous they probably have tons stored away just for older GPU RMA's.
Rand
Gerbil
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:34 pm

Re: Free New Graphics Card courtesy of EVGA

Postposted on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:57 pm

I would guess a GT 630 or something along those lines. Maybe a slightly older model. I doubt it'll be anything faster than that though.

Just going by their B-Stock page, I doubt it'll be anything from before the 600 series. It doesn't look like they have much left under $80 aside from the super low end G210 and 8400GS cards.

If it does turn out to be something decent, I might have to go stick something in the fan of my 8800GTX and let it run a burn in test for a few hours (minutes?) to finally get that thing replaced with something that doesn't pull 180 Watts out of the wall at full load.

... kidding... I wouldn't abuse an RMA like that. Plus, its a nifty part of my GPU collection, though I wouldn't cry if I could have something more practical in its place if it actually fails.
ozzuneoj
Gerbil
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: Free New Graphics Card courtesy of EVGA

Postposted on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:52 pm

So it turns out they're sending me a super clocked GTX 460 1024 mb. Looking up some reviews it would appear to be about 4 time faster than the old card. Should help me continue to pretend my computer can handle my 1440p korean monitor. Overall pretty excited... Maybe it will quell the upgrade itch.
ApockofFork
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: Free New Graphics Card courtesy of EVGA

Postposted on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:46 pm

So... You bought a 8800 GTS 320 meg initially... and eventually end up with a GTX 460?

That's a better deal than the eMachine's upgrade promotion (Glorious "Never Obsolete!" stickers on the desktop computers).
UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:28 am

Re: Free New Graphics Card courtesy of EVGA

Postposted on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:24 pm

ApockofFork wrote:So it turns out they're sending me a super clocked GTX 460 1024 mb. Looking up some reviews it would appear to be about 4 time faster than the old card. Should help me continue to pretend my computer can handle my 1440p korean monitor. Overall pretty excited... Maybe it will quell the upgrade itch.


Wow, that's quite an upgrade! We're talking about a mid\high end graphics card from 2007, upgraded to a mid\high end one from 2010\2011 under warranty in 2014. That is impressive support and makes me glad that I went for a GTX 660 from EVGA with a plain old reference cooler (for reliability's sake). I doubt I'll have any real need for a GPU upgrade for quite some time, since I don't do any heavy gaming any more. But if it ever does die... they've got my back. Good stuff. :)
ozzuneoj
Gerbil
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:27 pm


Return to Graphics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests