Radeon 5770 image scaling stupidity

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Radeon 5770 image scaling stupidity

Postposted on Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:43 pm

So a little while back my video card (9800GTX+) died, and its replacement arrived today - a Sapphire Radeon 5770. It's a great card and performance is fine, but I'm having problems with aspect ratio scaling.

I can turn it on. I saw how to in another thread (which hasn't been posted to in a while so I didn't resurrect it). Right now if I look at CCC "Enable GPU scaling" is checked and "Maintain Aspect ratio" is checked. If I play some sort of DX9 game or if I use the desktop at a lower resolution, it scales fine. If I play a DX10 title (such as World in Conflict) at a non-native resolution, it's scaled the width of the panel so 4:3 resolutions get fat. I first noticed it on 3DMark Vantage (I ran it purely to see that things were in working order) and discovered a way to reproduce it with WiC. Has anybody else had this issue? It's not going to be the end of the world at this point; I can play any game I own at native resolution if it supports it (so WiC yes, Diablo II no, but D2 is a DX6 game and scales fine).

It's a step up from the latest nVidia drivers which lost flat panel scaling entirely, but I'd like to think that at least one of these two companies could produce drivers that scaled properly in all scenarios.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Re: Radeon 5770 image scaling stupidity

Postposted on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:43 am

See here for a fix.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:04 am

Are you talking about the OP in that thread? Because if you check out what I wrote in the first post here, I got all that to work. It's only in DX10 titles that I have an issue.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:17 am

Doh, you're right. No idea about DX10 stuff.

In any case, for Diablo 2, see the Diablo II Multires patch. I've used it myself and it rocks. I only suggest that you simply use a slightly-higher widescreen resolution instead of going to the native res, because otherwise the UI elements will be too small for comfort. At least I've found it to be that way, to each his own.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:33 am

I have all sorts of strange scaling oddities with my 5470 in windows 7 on my laptop.
Basically scaling works when I have a monitor plugged in via HDMI, but will not if it is just the built in laptop display.
If I am just running off the laptop display with no monitor plugged in there is no scaling at all.
If I have a monitor plugged in both the laptop display and the plugged in monitor DO scale.
What I was using to test this was a copy of KOTOR without the widescreen patch applied. However, it seems consistent amongst others as well.
MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:56 am

In my experience, driver-based image scaling settings don't work in DX10 and DX11 titles on either Radeons or GeForces. You get full-screen scaling no matter what. Really annoys me when I'm testing at lower resolutions on my 30" panel. I want to see image quality, the effects of different AA modes, and the like, but you can't, really, with scaling active.

I need to ask AMD and Nvidia about it, I guess, but the fact that this behavior has been consistent with DX10 forever and is the same in DX11--and the fact that it affects both major GPU makers--makes me think this is an OS limitation. If any of you all have found a work-around, I'd sure like to know about it. I wouldn't blame just AMD, though.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"
Editor - The Tech Report
Damage
TR Staff
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:58 am

Damage wrote:In my experience, driver-based image scaling settings don't work in DX10 and DX11 titles on either Radeons or GeForces. You get full-screen scaling no matter what. Really annoys me when I'm testing at lower resolutions on my 30" panel. I want to see image quality, the effects of different AA modes, and the like, but you can't, really, with scaling active.

I need to ask AMD and Nvidia about it, I guess, but the fact that this behavior has been consistent with DX10 forever and is the same in DX11--and the fact that it affects both major GPU makers--makes me think this is an OS limitation. If any of you all have found a work-around, I'd sure like to know about it. I wouldn't blame just AMD, though.

It might have to do with the removal of the lower level tasks like device enumeration and presenting rendered frames to output from the Direct3D API into the DXGI. See this link. Maybe in conjunction with the fact that none of the vendors can't seem to get a consistent scaling mode working in Windows 7, developers might have just opted to always set it to be stretched. I imagine that there are less people who complain about the scaling always being stretched than those who will complain that their new shiny game doesn't fill up their monitor. Just stabbing in the dark here.
Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:14 pm

Damage wrote:In my experience, driver-based image scaling settings don't work in DX10 and DX11 titles on either Radeons or GeForces. You get full-screen scaling no matter what. Really annoys me when I'm testing at lower resolutions on my 30" panel. I want to see image quality, the effects of different AA modes, and the like, but you can't, really, with scaling active.

Well if nothing else, you just confirmed it's not just me. That helped tremendously because I thought I was doing something wrong. :p
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Return to Graphics