Mpeg 1 PAL to Mpeg 1 NTSC

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Postposted on Wed Jan 02, 2002 1:17 am

Sigh, what a chore this is. I grabbed a movie I've been looking for, find out that the audio sucks, it's got what sounds like a 60 hz hum through the entire thing, and it was poorly encoded in PAL @ 352x288. So, 2 days into this project I finally get everything ripped apart well, an reencoding the video w/ 4 filters, and got the Audio cleaned up greatly. But wait! I just found out that for some reason, the filter I applied to the audio killed the last 2/3rds of it. :sad: gotta redo it all.

*Sigh*

Anyone know of a better way besides manually doing all this? Converting to a 30 fps NTSC VCD?
DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Jan 02, 2002 2:26 am

What kind of filter and programs are you using? VCD's never look good, not even VHS quality. They are all ways pixelated on my computer while my friends external VCD player has good quality. Id like to run poor looking video through some filters and get rid of the pixelation, but without blurring the image.
dmitriylm
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Jan 02, 2002 5:57 am

Well, let's see.

TMPGEnc to merge the multiple avi's into 1 file, then to split audio / video out.

CoolEdit96 to clean the noise from the audio, RazorLame ( Maybe, not sure if I wanna go 100% compliant w/ VCD and do mpg2 audio or not )

TMPGEnc to resize to a non pal resolution, resynch to 30 fps, and apply a noise reduction, Simple color correction and sharpen edge filters. Pixelation should be taken care of by a VBR and high quality encoding. From the 10 minute test section I've reencoded, there is much higher image quality from what I originally had. I may need to tweak the colors a bit, but I won't know until I actually encode the whole thing.

I tried Vdub/Nandub and other encoders that I could find, but all of them barfed on it. :sad: TMPGEnc works great.
DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Jan 02, 2002 1:39 pm

Thanks, ive got several horrible looking vcd's to clean up.
dmitriylm
Graphmaster Gerbil

Return to Graphics