Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

georgetok
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: How do I connect 8 Monitors to This Desktop ?

Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:02 pm

Thank you Scrotos & FuturePastNow.

Very informative.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:00 am

FuturePastNow wrote:
frumper15 wrote:
If i understand it correctly, pcie can use anywhere between 1 and 16 lanes from the same slot - in other words, you can use a 16x card in a 1x slot, with an obvious drop in performance. however, if you're just displaying charts, etc. I don't think it would be an issue.

Right-o. The problem with sticking an x16 card in an x1 slot is that x1 slots are almost always closed-ended, preventing the longer connector from being inserted. However, if you know what you're doing, you can actually cut an x16 connector down to x1 length, and it will work.

http://www.invisiblerobot.com/pcie_x1/

I think on the XPS 8300 motherboard there's junk that gets in the way of x16 anyway, even if the x1 was open-ended.

cheapFreeAgent
Gerbil

Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:29 am

this may be off topic, but do you mind to show us some pics when your setup is done ?
:wink:

FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:47 am

Geeks.com is selling a refurbished 5-port Eyefinity card for $99. You'd still need a three-port card or a couple of two-port cards to get to eight, but that's an incredibly low price for such a thing (the low price includes a short warranty and little support).

Link: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... -R&cat=VCD