New cards from Nvidia soon?

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:05 pm

Does anybody know if Nvidia are planning to release any new cards in the next couple weeks/months? I'm putting some thought into a future system upgrade and would prefer to move away from a 560ti to something a little better but in the same $250-280 price range. I'd prefer to stick to a mid-range performing card and have closer upgrade cycles instead of washing my account and buying the most costly components out there.
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-
Jon
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: -Canada-

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:51 pm

The only official thing said by Nvidia is that the 28nm process is having yield issues. Not sure if AMD or TSMC have confirmed that.
Game_boy
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:46 pm

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:09 pm

Game_boy wrote:The only official thing said by Nvidia is that the 28nm process is having yield issues. Not sure if AMD or TSMC have confirmed that.


Considering AMD already has 28nm parts, it sounds like there is something intrinsic to the nvidia design, much like their transition to 40nm.
Sony a7
Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 SSM, 24-70/4 SSM
Minolta 17-35/2.8-4 D, 100-300 APO, 100/2, 500/8
TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2170
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 8:22 pm
Location: Northern Colorado

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:33 pm

Game_boy wrote:The only official thing said by Nvidia is that the 28nm process is having yield issues. Not sure if AMD or TSMC have confirmed that.

I believe AMD said its 28nm yields were fairly good
Aloeus
Gerbil
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:44 pm
Location: the desert

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:16 pm

I've been seeing rumors that mid to late March is when we should expect to see the Kepler cards.. I'm holding off on my build until Kepker and Ivy Bridge, since those are within a couple months..
druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2077
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:55 pm
Location: Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:51 pm

Aloeus wrote:
Game_boy wrote:The only official thing said by Nvidia is that the 28nm process is having yield issues. Not sure if AMD or TSMC have confirmed that.

I believe AMD said its 28nm yields were fairly good


I think they said 28nm yields are as expected. Yields are in the eye of the beer holder.
tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3070
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:09 am

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:28 am

Game_boy
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:46 pm

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:34 pm

AMD needs to eat some humble pie with the inflated Radeon 7xxx prices. Don't fail me Nvidia ;-)
--k
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:51 pm

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:56 pm

--k wrote:AMD needs to eat some humble pie with the inflated Radeon 7xxx prices. Don't fail me Nvidia ;-)


Semiaccurate on Kepler - "If you don't order the instant it goes on sale, it will likely sell out." because TSMC 28nm production is allegedly stopped. And has been for weeks. I wouldn't expect low prices with zero supply.
Game_boy
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:46 pm

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:25 pm

Mostly confirmed rumor: There is going to be a big event on March 12 (this Monday) where Nvidia introduces Keppler. It is *not* going to be a hard launch. Neithr Nvidia nor AMD has done one of those in a long time.
Less confirmed rumor: On either March 23 or March 26 there will actually be some sort of hard launch of some model of Keppler. Unknown as to exactly which models will be availalble. What's even more unknown is whether this will be some sort of token launch where everything sells out and you can't get a card for 2 more months or if it is a relatively hard launch. Just like with the 7970, I wouldn't be surprised if they sell out of some cards quickly. It's whether the cards come back into stock 2 weeks after launch or so that is the real indicator of availability.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Probably where I don't belong.

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:16 pm

Radeon HD7850 is tops in the price/performance category.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/22573/12

You should hang onto your GeForce GTX560Ti for a while longer.
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15424
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:21 pm

I don't see why the Radeon HD 7970 prices are super inflated per se compared to the 500 or so dollar GTX 580... Which is slower than the 7970.

Much, much higher than I'd like, yes, but they were going oit be high anyway. The wonders of a new arch and a new process.
I.S.T.
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:18 am

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:52 pm

This is all very interesting news and I'm keeping my left eyebrow tilted in an angular fashion as so ^ for the time being.
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-
Jon
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: -Canada-

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Jon wrote:This is all very interesting news and I'm keeping my left eyebrow tilted in an angular fashion as so ^ for the time being.

IDIC
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20269
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:47 am

I.S.T. wrote:I don't see why the Radeon HD 7970 prices are super inflated per se compared to the 500 or so dollar GTX 580... Which is slower than the 7970.

Much, much higher than I'd like, yes, but they were going oit be high anyway. The wonders of a new arch and a new process.


The 7970,s are special though. rating one 7970 against a 580 gives quote a skewed argument. In real life only a fool would biy one 7970. There are many cards on the market which could come close to it and maybe even surpass it once keplar comes out but it is not really designed for that.

what makes the 7970 special is when you start using them in crossfire. That is what they are designed for and that is why kear wont come close but yes they will be cheaper.

nvidia make good cards and no doubt the odd one will be faster than the individual 7970 but I cant see them competing with the 7970s in crossfire with their sli config.

In real terms the 7970 will work out cheaper than buying the equivalent keplar because of the temperatures and power used.
you dont need as powerful a psu or as many coolers as with earlier series and yet keplar will still be watt guzzling monkeys. so once you take into account all of that you see they arent as expensive as you think because you save money in other areas just because you have them and not nvidia.

personally I have two 7950's because i believe they are the best value. you can easily oc them to 7970 reference levels with only minor tweeking and minimal temperature increases. I also believe that once keplar comes out they will release an update which will blow away the competition. I think that is the reason they are quietly confident of being above the competition even with the arrival of keplar.

I also reckon they will release the 7990 and that will be a monster.
oddjobman
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:03 am

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:32 am

oddjobman wrote:In real life only a fool would buy one 7970. There are many cards on the market which could come close to it
Why do you say that? If someone has the money to spend and they want the fastest single card available - not close to the fastest, but truly the fastest - then the 7970 is currently that card and there's nothing particularly "foolish" about it unless you're funding the purchase by underfunding other more important responsibilities in life - and that rule covers every purchase you can make.

what makes the 7970 special is when you start using them in crossfire.
I think it's already special with a single serving. Two 7970s would require a remarkably expensive mulit-monitor configuration to even be useful. If you're gaming on a single monitor then a second 7970 is effing useless.

In real terms the 7970 will work out cheaper than buying the equivalent keplar because of the temperatures and power used.
Well, first off, the rumor is that the GTX 680 will use less power than the 7970 or be more "power efficient" which means that it may use a little more power but it will serve up more than an equal amount of performance for it. But that is, in all truthfulness, genuinely irrelevant. It takes years for the wattage difference between any two competing cards to "pay off" the difference in the price between the cards. So it's just a silly justification. Now in terms of that extra power consumption contributing to heating up the computer case and contributing to faster spinning and therefor noisier fans, well that's very valid, but that's not always a given. If the card efficiently vents out of the case then it will hardly make difference over the other card and may even prove better if the lower power consuming card is rather inefficient at venting heat.
you dont need as powerful a psu or as many coolers as with earlier series and yet keplar will still be watt guzzling monkeys. so once you take into account all of that you see they arent as expensive as you think because you save money in other areas just because you have them and not nvidia.
Meh, that's mostly a non-issue. Again, GTX 680 is supposed to have pretty lower power consumption by the rumors. And also, anyone running such powerful multi-card setups is going to have a very high quality PSU and high wattage PSU that would be able to handle more than the difference between the cards. You're going to be talking about people moving FROM a GTX 580 SLI or HD 6970 XF, so these folks are going to have beefy and capable power supplies.

personally I have two 7950's because i believe they are the best value.
Two 7950's and "value". Alright, if you say so. Usually people sporting such configurations aren't value shoppers and I think most people would not consider your two 7950s a "value purchase".

I also believe that once keplar comes out they will release an update which will blow away the competition. I think that is the reason they are quietly confident of being above the competition even with the arrival of keplar.
My old boss has a saying that's rather crude but true - think in one hand and crap in the other and tell me what you've got. I'm personally a big fan of riding the speculation train but there's a difference between speculating and believing. Rumors are that GTX 680 will outperform the HD 7970 by 15% on average, so the 7970 would need a 15% overclock just to pull even. If the GTX 680 has any overclocking headroom then it will start to get difficult to OC a HD 7970 enough to keep up.

I also reckon they will release the 7990 and that will be a monster.
I reckon there's a lot of Radeon brand favoritism in your post.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:44 pm

and i reckon you are a nvidia fanboy. having crossfire is not just about having eyefinity though granted it is a bonud.
crossfire enables you to play all games at maxed out settings and still keep the high fps and tesselation. it also enables you to game on large 1080p tvs and still get the quality res.

the reason i said only a fool would buy just one is because you arent really using it for what its designed for. even ocd there are games which will struggle at the highest res. in the past crossfire meant that your second catd would add a percentage to your speed fps etc, the 7970 in crossfire doubles it.

secondly on its own the 7970 is not the fastest card out there so again you would be foolish just to by one because its the fasyest. if you are only wanting one card and want the fastest then the 6990 is the one to go for.

the whole point of the 7000 series is how great they are with overclocking and how effective they are in crossfire. to no make use of that is idiotic. its a bit like buying a gas converted car but choosing to solely run it on petrol.

the 7950s are a good deal and are relatively inexpensive. i wouldnt say i am a high end builder in fact i know i am not. i buy parts which will do the job i need them for and that is all.
oddjobman
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:03 am

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:06 pm

there is one thing i am curious about though. one of my 7950s is a reference card and usually would have had to buy a cooler for a reference card. the 7950s are pretty good at running low temperatures even ocd. the other one is an asus because i like their cooling technology. if it was you would you buy a cooler for the reference gpu or just leave it as is?
oddjobman
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:03 am

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:06 am

A single Radeon HD7950/HD7970 or GeForce GTX580 is serious overkill for playing all currently-available games at 1920x1080p. It doesn't matter whether your 1920x1080p resolution is on a 21½" monitor or on a 64½" television. The number of pixels to be rendered is the same. Buying a more powerful graphics card just because the individual pixels are larger is not necessary.

Installing a multi-GPU Crossfire or SLI setup when one graphics card is sufficient is just adding more cost, heat and noise. Some folks don't like the inconsistent frame rates with SLI/Crossfire (the paired cards lope along unevenly compared to the slower and steadier pace of a single GPU). There are also the occasional driver or catalyst profile headaches where it takes weeks for things to be patched up so that SLI/Crossfire works properly with the latest new game.

I'm not going to call you "a fool" (because that would be rude). I am going to suggest that you shouldn't call others names.


NVidia's new Kepler GPUs should be announced soon and we'll see graphics cards with them on store shelves in a couple of months. I hope for all of our sakes that Kepler provides credible competition for Southern Islands, both for performance and price.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15424
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:30 am

i agree that the pixel rate is the same for 21 as it is for 46 but these days you find that the refresh rate isnt. most 40 inch plus run at 200hz whereas many 21 inch run at 60 to 100. the mistake many make is thinking fps is the same. its not though admittedly you do need high fps aswell.
the 7000 series seem to be a lot more fluent on larger tvs at maxed out settings voa crossfire than if you just have one.
the problems you stated with the crossfire and sli set ups were true with the old seried but not the new. maybe keplar might run as good but its a gamble and as you said before we can speculate all day but wont know until they have arrived.

the only drawback is that sometimes they conflict with the likes of motion plus but once you turn that off you find the 7000 series is very fluent on large tvs with high hz even maxed out and that unfortunately was not the case in previous series.

whether keplar will be as good on those aspects is debatable to say the least.
oddjobman
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:03 am

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:40 am

oddjobman wrote:and i reckon you are a nvidia fanboy.
Oh yay an internet argument! Anyway, I tend to buy Radeons, as my sig illustrates, but I also try my hardest to be completely unbiased and equally is critical of all products and companies.

the reason i said only a fool would buy just one is because you arent really using it for what its designed for.
It's designed for playing video games. You only need one card to use it as it was designed.

even ocd there are games which will struggle at the highest res. in the past crossfire meant that your second catd would add a percentage to your speed fps etc, the 7970 in crossfire doubles it.
The 68xx cards usually provided nearly ideal crossfire scaling. It's great news that the 7xxx series improves this even more, but I haven't seen any review and until I saw TechReports microstuttering analysis of 7xxx XF configs I won't take anything for granted. But even so, it's a bit goofy to say it's foolish to just have a single GPU.

secondly on its own the 7970 is not the fastest card out there so again you would be foolish just to by one because its the fasyest. if you are only wanting one card and want the fastest then the 6990 is the one to go for.
There are a whole lot of additional burdens that the 6990 brings with it: price, power, noise, card length, the occasional lack of a XF profile, and price, price, price. I can switch terms to avoid the technicality and say "people who want the fastest GPU". And some people really want just that and are not interested in XF/SLI and I think that's a very reasonable position. And I also think that most would go for two 6970s before going for one 6990; heck the 6990 is actually the card that makes the most sense to be paired up with another because as a single card it's bested by 6970 XF and because of it's size and cost; the only way you can scale past those limitations is, while counterintuitive, to get two of them.

the whole point of the 7000 series is how great they are with overclocking and how effective they are in crossfire. to no make use of that is idiotic. its a bit like buying a gas converted car but choosing to solely run it on petrol.
That's a parsec or two from the "whole point"; I've not seen anyone further from stating the "whole point". There's much more to GCN than overclocking and XF that you can read up on in TechReport's review; and you can probably bet your entire self worth that the vast, vast majority of systems will not end up with two graphics cards in them.

the 7950s are a good deal and are relatively inexpensive. i wouldnt say i am a high end builder in fact i know i am not. i buy parts which will do the job i need them for and that is all.
Say what you like but two 7950s is absolutely high end, not the highest, but certainly high; it's like saying the Empire State Building isn't a skyscraper because it isn't the tallest. I sure hope you've got a beefy enough build to back those cards up and you're not running them beside 4 GB of RAM and an i3 2100 (or worse yet a Bulldozer).
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:12 am

whatever Kepler turns out to be, I suspect that all this nvidia backed rumour and speculation is certainly doing it's job. I am far less sure of buying a 7850 than I was before.
cegras
Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:12 pm

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:17 pm

i am a fan of bulldozer (please stop laughing). i know the reviews saying about intel wiping the floor with them and rightly so but i always believed they were great processors which had no way reached there potential. for months i have told people they were only a couple of updates away from reaching theat potential and stop neing the but of all jokes. the last update has went someway to doing that though admittedly we arent quite there yet.

i havent even got the highest spec one but thats through choice until i feel upgrading would improve my system dramatically or it could just be lazyness, probably a bit of both if i am honest.
anyhow i have the fx4100 overclocked to 4.5 ghz and i am happy with that.

as for mobo its a bit of the same again. considered getting a crosshair but my 990x extreme 3 does a good little job.

ram is maxed at 32gb so wont have any problems there or in the future ig upgrades need to itilise more so it will semm overkill to many especiallu with those specs but it was a time effective decision as far as i was concerned.

as for hard drive i only have 1 tb but cant see me needing anymore. i dont even need ssd as far as i am concerned because i really dont care how long it takes to boot up as i normally make a cuppa then anyhow.
i use xfast so browsing is superfast anyhow.
as for gaming my rig works fast and can play on highest settings on just about anything.

i am still undecided whetmes to overclocking. i would rather have one as overkill running quiet than a 'capable' one which is screaming if you know what i mean.

her to get ssd part of me thinks i should and then again part of me thinks i should get crosshair too. but it would be a waste because it runs so well as it is.

i am getting a new psu though. i have 850w modular at the moment but like the look of the coolermaster 1200w. bigger the better when it co
oddjobman
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:03 am

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:31 pm

oh nearly forgot, i apologise for calling you a nvidia fanboy, its nice to see someone playing devils advocate.
also i apologise for the grammer and layout but im currently answering this via android and its a pain to say the least.
i still believe that someone who just buys one of the 7970s or 7950s is an idiot though because they are basically wasting their money imo. what would be even worse would be someone who o.ly buys one and doesnt even oc it that would be a prize idiot.

it is the overclocking capabilities and crossfire increases in performance which set thiese cards apart from everything else.
dont believe this rubbish that the human eye cant tell the difference at anything over 30fps it can and does. crossfire will almost double it and that cant be bad unless they just play wow ha ha

going back to the realms of speculation i believe that the 7000 series is ideal to bring bulldozer into its own and let it do what it was supposed to all along. give it six months and it will ne a pairing made in heaven.

i firmly believe this and so have put my money where my mouth is so to speak.

the reason i went with the fx4100 and not its big brothers was solely down to better updates and imo superior overclocking capabilities when relatively scaled to the others.
once the other ones scale as well i will go for the best performer relatively.
oddjobman
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:03 am

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:15 pm

I have have an HD7970, and it hasn't been a waste or a foolish move for me at all. I had a 5870's before, and I use to run 1 on each monitor so I could play two games at the same time (either ToR/EVE/WoT). The 5870 could each play the game, but there were huge restrictions when attempting to push that many pixels. When the 7970 came out there was finally a card to run two 3D applications both at 1080p at the same time. And that is just what I do, EVE and WoT at the same time is awesome! Both with glorious graphics chugging along at 60 FPS (90%ish load on the GPU). That is quite a bit of value for me personally, and worth my money. It's all a matter of perception :P
StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 11:19 pm
Location: Florida

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:19 pm

oddjobman wrote:oh nearly forgot, i apologise for calling you a nvidia fanboy, its nice to see someone playing devils advocate.
also i apologise for the grammer and layout but im currently answering this via android and its a pain to say the least.
i still believe that someone who just buys one of the 7970s or 7950s is an idiot though because they are basically wasting their money imo. what would be even worse would be someone who o.ly buys one and doesnt even oc it that would be a prize idiot.

it is the overclocking capabilities and crossfire increases in performance which set thiese cards apart from everything else.
dont believe this rubbish that the human eye cant tell the difference at anything over 30fps it can and does. crossfire will almost double it and that cant be bad unless they just play wow ha ha

going back to the realms of speculation i believe that the 7000 series is ideal to bring bulldozer into its own and let it do what it was supposed to all along. give it six months and it will ne a pairing made in heaven.

i firmly believe this and so have put my money where my mouth is so to speak.

the reason i went with the fx4100 and not its big brothers was solely down to better updates and imo superior overclocking capabilities when relatively scaled to the others.
once the other ones scale as well i will go for the best performer relatively.


Also though you speak so highly of the Bulldozer processor I do not know if "unlocking it's potential" or any of that jazz is entirely gonna work. Have you used a SB processor? I use to use an AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.8Ghz which will ring in just about the same performance as a newer high clocked bulldozer south of extreme overclocking. When I upgrade to the 2600k it wiped, irrefutable wiped my old processor's butt. Things like Shogun 2 or DoW2 really showed a difference, near 25-30%. RTS's tend to benefit from CPU. I noticed load times across the board drop dramatically too. *shrug* I'm sure the FX is good enough for you, but I'm unsure how much "potential" there is that will make any difference in the tech gap between Intel and AMD.
StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 11:19 pm
Location: Florida

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:20 pm

Two 7950s and an FX 4100. That's ... good for AMD. :o As for your opinions regarding 7970s only making sense if you buy two and people being idiots for just buying one, well, nothing I can do about that but I think it's complete bullshat silly nonsense; it literally doesn't make any sense and has no factual basis.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:22 pm

oddjobman wrote:and i reckon you are a nvidia fanboy. having crossfire is not just about having eyefinity though granted it is a bonud.
crossfire enables you to play all games at maxed out settings and still keep the high fps and tesselation. it also enables you to game on large 1080p tvs and still get the quality res.

the reason i said only a fool would buy just one is because you arent really using it for what its designed for. even ocd there are games which will struggle at the highest res. in the past crossfire meant that your second catd would add a percentage to your speed fps etc, the 7970 in crossfire doubles it.

secondly on its own the 7970 is not the fastest card out there so again you would be foolish just to by one because its the fasyest. if you are only wanting one card and want the fastest then the 6990 is the one to go for.

the whole point of the 7000 series is how great they are with overclocking and how effective they are in crossfire. to no make use of that is idiotic. its a bit like buying a gas converted car but choosing to solely run it on petrol.

the 7950s are a good deal and are relatively inexpensive. i wouldnt say i am a high end builder in fact i know i am not. i buy parts which will do the job i need them for and that is all.


One last thing I would like to add. Your 7950's have to be bottlenecked (the 940 @ 3.8Ghz was bottlenecking my 2 x 5870's). As well, I use to use Crossfire for a good part of my life, and ended up ditching it because it never felt as fluent or smooth. This has been proven over the last year or so extensively about micro-studdering and latency. If you are playing on 1080p and purposefully playing with crossfire you are actually hurting yourself more than you are helping (as your 7950 should max out anything at 1080).
StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 11:19 pm
Location: Florida

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:36 pm

I'll probably end up getting a 7850 if Kepler doesn't impress, but I'm in no hurry.

flip-mode wrote:Say what you like but two 7950s is absolutely high end, not the highest, but certainly high; it's like saying the Empire State Building isn't a skyscraper because it isn't the tallest.


QFT.
E3-1230v2 | GA-6UASL3 | 16 GB ECC | Seagate 600 240GB | WD Black + Red | GTX 660 | Silverstone TJ08-E | Seasonic X650 | Win Server 2012 | Dell U2713HM || Zotac CI320
mako
Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:09 pm
Location: North Bay

Re: New cards from Nvidia soon?

Postposted on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:04 pm

StuG wrote:
oddjobman wrote:and i reckon you are a nvidia fanboy. having crossfire is not just about having eyefinity though granted it is a bonud.
crossfire enables you to play all games at maxed out settings and still keep the high fps and tesselation. it also enables you to game on large 1080p tvs and still get the quality res.

the reason i said only a fool would buy just one is because you arent really using it for what its designed for. even ocd there are games which will struggle at the highest res. in the past crossfire meant that your second catd would add a percentage to your speed fps etc, the 7970 in crossfire doubles it.

secondly on its own the 7970 is not the fastest card out there so again you would be foolish just to by one because its the fasyest. if you are only wanting one card and want the fastest then the 6990 is the one to go for.

the whole point of the 7000 series is how great they are with overclocking and how effective they are in crossfire. to no make use of that is idiotic. its a bit like buying a gas converted car but choosing to solely run it on petrol.

the 7950s are a good deal and are relatively inexpensive. i wouldnt say i am a high end builder in fact i know i am not. i buy parts which will do the job i need them for and that is all.


One last thing I would like to add. Your 7950's have to be bottlenecked (the 940 @ 3.8Ghz was bottlenecking my 2 x 5870's). As well, I use to use Crossfire for a good part of my life, and ended up ditching it because it never felt as fluent or smooth. This has been proven over the last year or so extensively about micro-studdering and latency. If you are playing on 1080p and purposefully playing with crossfire you are actually hurting yourself more than you are helping (as your 7950 should max out anything at 1080).

I don't want to be to harsh on the guy. He's new to the forums. But there's some deep irony to someone saying a person is an idiot for buying a single 7970 turning around and pairing up two 7950s with FX 4100. Fanboyism is an ugly thing. People need to shake it loose. Heck, I root for AMD; I'm the type to root for an underdog. But when AMD puts crap out or even puts good stuff out with an absurd price, then I'll say it. Nvidia has done some really scummy things in the past, but if they put out a great product then I'll give it applause.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Next

Return to Graphics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests