Video Issues

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Video Issues

Postposted on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:41 am

Well, here we go:

I recently helped my cousin purchase a new PC from a friend of mine. This PC has a discrete graphics card, but we had to use the integrated until we picked up a VGA to DVI adapter. Now here's the annoying part. As soon as we picked up the adapter and plugged everything in to the video card, nothing happened; standard video issue beep code on POST. So, we tried plugging it in the way we had it before (with just the VGA cable straight to the motherboard); nothing again. The next thing we tried was plugging it in to one of his HDTVs using an HDMI cable straight into the video card; works flawlessly, but this setup is not ideal.

Any ideas what this could be?

Hardware is as follows:

Motherboard: MSI ms-7596 (v.1.3)
Video Card: Radeon HD 5670
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250

Not sure if any of the other hardware is of any consequence, but just ask if you need it.

Thanks,
Robert
RobbyBob
Gerbil In Training

Re: Video Issues

Postposted on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:10 am

I'm not sure precisely what the issue could be... but I know that I had to turn off my integrated graphics before I could use my discrete graphics. Did you try disabling it in bios? There should be some setting in bios that tells the mobo to choose your graphics card over your integrated video. Puzzles me why it worked when you plugged it into your tv though, so I think I'm wrong on this one... worth a try if you haven't already though!
muontrack
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:33 am

Yeah, I dug around in the BIOS to see if that was the case. It's set to display from the discrete graphics card or default to another connected display.
RobbyBob
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:19 am

I would make sure you have the adapter plugged into the correct DVI port. Many cards only have one DVI port that you can convert to VGA, the other port is digital only and will not work with the adapter.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Return to Graphics