Your opine on the best GTX 680 flavor.

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Your opine on the best GTX 680 flavor.

Postposted on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Hey,

Well gents it's time to dust off that 3rd display that's been sitting on the floor collecting ... err dust for the past 5 months.
After my last experience with triple monitor gaming and since GPU's have matured somewhat in recent months I'm finally bringing the hammer down on the decision to buy a Geforce GTX 680. But which one to buy?
I table my question as follows: Which GTX 680 card would you buy and in which vendor direction do you sway?

-j-
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-
Jon
Gerbil Elite

Re: Your opine on the best GTX 680 flavor.

Postposted on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:42 pm

I already bought the GTX680 (though in retrospect, I should've probably waited for GTX670 - it is very close in terms of speed and is significantly cheaper). I went with EVGA's version - EVGA is a very good company, with excellent warranty and very good and responsive customer support (which I had to use a couple of times before). I have a regular, non-overclocked version - it was the only one easily available at the time of purchase and I don't really need extra performance from overclocking. If you want faster versions - EVGA has many different editions with guaranteed overclock, including the one with pre-mounted waterblock. They also have their own overclocking tool, called "Precision X", with a video guide, if you're into manual overclocking.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:46 pm

EVGA for a blower, ASUS for aftermarket cooler. I prefer blowers though, as they work better with positive airflow setups that eliminate dust and keep the noise down.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:02 am

I agree with JohnC. EVGA without question.

Having forgotten to register my card and condemning myself to only 1 year warranty, I contacted them the other day when the card failed. They are sending me a new one 4 years after the warranty ended, despite the fact that it was my fault.
theadder
Gerbil

Return to Graphics