Nvidia Surround - Introducing Faux Fullscreen Mode

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Nvidia Surround - Introducing Faux Fullscreen Mode

Postposted on Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:44 am

I'm running 3x 24" monitors with Nvidia Surround enabled. I'm mostly liking what I see with the new 301.24 driver release particularly as it pertains to gaming, however what's grating my balls is the way maximized fullscreen applications (like Firefox or Explorer) are now handled. This is most definitely an improvement over previous driver releases but what I'm seeing is that fullscreen apps don't really go fullscreen when you maximize them. Instead the apps maximize into fullscreen windowed mode, in other words it's the same effect as if you had manually dragged and adjusted each corner of a window to neatly 'dock' with the edges of the monitor.

See screenshot below. Behold, Nvidia's new 'faux fullscreen': (Click this for larger version)

In my opinion it just isn't done right. Nvidia, or Microsoft for that matter, need to figure out how to retain true maximized fullscreen mode when Nvidia Surround is enabled. This is a slight annoyance because I'm going to have to toggle between Surround mode for gaming and Non-surround mode for work. Nvidia can we please get this right sometime in my lifetime.

2c.
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-
Jon
Gerbil Elite

Re: Nvidia Surround - Introducing Faux Fullscreen Mode

Postposted on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:15 pm

It took me a while to work out what the problem was, but I see what you mean. The four pixel Aero border vanishes in fullscreen mode, but not on multi-monitor desktops.

Really not an issue for me but it obviously irks you, and this is yet another example of Nvidia drivers having loads of minor interface bugs that have never been addressed despite existing for half a decade.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to Graphics