Ati 12.8 Driver crashes Firefox?

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Ati 12.8 Driver crashes Firefox?

Postposted on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:36 am

Hope this is the appropriate section (Software instead?)

I've been getting frequent and numerous crashes with my 6870x2's on the new 12.8 drivers (Win7 64) in Firefox (current release version). A short bit of research points towards some kind of memory leak(?) and the current solution is to disable hardware acceleration.

Has anyone else had similar issues? The behavior I see ranges from slow-page loading, to an all out freeze, but always ends in firefox crashing.
I am jaded. I am cynical.
Gerbil First Class

Re: Ati 12.8 Driver crashes Firefox?

Postposted on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Yes, across two machines and across AMD and Nvidia GPU's too, which is why I've been trying Chrome recently.

I don't like it as much as FF but Mozilla seem to be falling behind in the stability department. It's more of a hunch than a scientific test, but I thought I'd use Chrome for a few weeks to see if it was any less prone to freezes and crashing.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. However, my signature is neither my best friend, nor is it my life. I also have no desire to master it and my worth is not signature-dependent.
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Return to Graphics