Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

GPU test software

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:32 am

So I bought an Asus GeForce 660. The install went well and it looked good for an hour or so. The the screen went crackly with inverse colors and the machine froze totally. Ctrl-Atl-Del didn't work; had to hard restart. Worked fine that session. Then does the same thing next session.

I never had a bad GPU. Whats the best way to test if its the part? I want to RMA if needed and with NewEgg have limited time.

I see Furmark as a stress test and Unique Heaven? What are tour experiences? Thanks.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Re: GPU test software

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:36 am

I always liked RTHDRIBL. It's nice and small.

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:45 am

RigidGems is the new hotness, as discovered by Scott.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

phileasfogg
Gerbil

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:20 pm

ordskiweicz wrote:
So I bought an Asus GeForce 660. The install went well and it looked good for an hour or so. The the

I see Furmark as a stress test and Unique Heaven? What are tour experiences? Thanks.

I think the app/stress test you're thinking of is "Unigine Heaven".

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:41 pm

1st make sure the pcie power connectors are correctly connected and the card is properly seated. If you have more then one PCIe power connector since the 660 uses only one i believe try swapping the PCI-e power connectors maybe yourt power supply has more then one 12v rail and one is shoddy.
Did you use driver sweeper before you installed the new graphics cards driver if you did not i would use it to get all old drivers out, from AMD or Nv or whatever previous graphics card was in your rig. Then install the latest driver off the nvidia site for your card.

I would also install the latest GPUZ so you can monitor you power state, power usage, mem usage temp etc.
I would have gpuz running with the monitoring open and the run furmark at 1280/720 so you can stress the card and watch the gpuz monitor at the same time for anything goofy like high temps fans not ramping up etc.

Good luck
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks all. I replaced a radeon 5850 and removed drivers before I installed the new card. There were no old NV drivers. I did install the Asus drivers from the CD after the first event - was first using latest NV drivers - but then it happened again. Not so likely drivers I guess.

I will try swapping the 6 pin connector - I have two available from the 5850 - on a modular 620 corsair. I think the PSU is fine (tests OK, no prior problems, not much else on it but a 2600K on an Asus P8P67 Pro mobo, 1 SSD 1 HDD, Asus sound card).

Will jiggle the card and re-seat. I am glad this card doesn't have the old lock extension which was hard to get unlocked for removal.

90 mins on Furmark burn in at 1900 (24" mon) was no issue, 61C max.

Will try the Japanese GPU test next (Google translate was a big help).

The intermittent nature of the event makes it tough to diagnose. Just want to rule out the card best as possible. (Software was Boredelands 2 - whcih does look better on the 660 than the 5850)

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:51 pm

OCCT...

You can basically tell how much a benchmark is 'stressing' your GPU based on how much power it's sucking when it's running full tilt with the benchmark. For instance, with GPUZ open in the background (with +20% power) my 7870 pulls 6A~ in GW2 with all the settings up sitting in town, running MSI Kombuster it pulls 10.1A~, running Furmark it pulls 13.5A~, running the OCCT benchmark it pulls around 15.3A~. All of these scenarios are running at 100% GPU usage, but have completely different impacts on my GPU. As you can see, with a almost 3x power usage when comparing real world in game video power usage to OCCT. This is on VDDC in.

I'll have to try rigidgems, but I'm guessing it wont top OCCT.

I'm pretty sure there is a direction correlation to power consumption and how 'good' a stability test is.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Rigid gems does about 3.3A and my GPU is at about 50-90% usage. It's not even worth using, at least for stability testing.

RTHDRIBL pulls about 4.5A with about 50% GPU usage, also not worth testing.

I actually noticed my card throttles itself with OCCT. When the VRMs hit 106C it dials back to one of the fall back GPU clocks till it cools down and then goes full tilt all the way up to it. GPUZ really is amazing for diagnosing a video card. Don't just use the built in driver tools.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:02 pm

I personally found that the only GPU benchmark that puts enough load on the GPU is Furmark. Just make sure you have the latest official version (or "beta" version) and that you select proper resolution and run it at "full-screen". Though it probably won't do anything useful if you have video RAM problems or problems with some other component of video card...
Last edited by JohnC on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:13 pm

What about Unigine with tessellation set to crazy levels?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:49 am

Vargis was right on. I think a loose Corsair modular power cable - the kind with a clip - held the power connection out just enough to cause the problem. I re-seated and finally removed the clip - fit was tighter and full. (Thanks Vargis)

Furmark was very useful in the burn in test - which the board passed.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:32 pm

No problemo. I am very glad to be of assistance.
Enjoy that new video card brutha.
As for testing for a stable overclock...i always start with 3dmark 11. It just makes sure it will run something easy OCed. Then its off to 3D mark vantage for some reason it seems to find unstable OC's better then 3dmark11. Then i like to use The heaven benchmark with tesselation at high and the final test is furmark.

Also i like to keep GPU-Z running during all tests. With the sensor graphs it will show you voltages fan speeds memory usage , pretty much everything you need to know.
Its also a great tool if you happen to come across some stuttering at high AA and AF setting in some games since it will let you see your how much memory buffer on the card is using. If you see your memory is maxing out start turning down the AF or perhaps some in game settings, but if you are gaming at 1080p your 2gb frame buffer should be A OK :)

With my EVGA 560tis SC's running at 965 core "900stk" and memory at 2400mhz "2100 stock" and they only have a 1 gb frame buffer I was getting some stuttering in BF3 every once in a while even with my 2600k and 8 gb of vengence ram running at103.2 x 45 for 4644mhz @ 1.380 volts making my ddr3 1600 memory run at 1749mhz, since i could not get it to run at 1866. Anyways i fixed the stuttering and increased performance of my I72600k with Hyperthreading by disabling core parking in windows 7. Disabling core parking on all intel i7 cpus gives a dramatic increase in win rar performance and fixed my BF3 stuttering. I even noticed a increase in win rar performance with my i3 2120 series chips since they too have hyperthreading. It is very easy to disable core parking just google it. Even though it does not take all that long to unpark a core its long enough to cause stuttering in some cases. Lynnfield, gulftown all HT i7 chips get a boost in win rar too.

Until we get a TRUE TR review with sandy, sandy-e, ivy bridge, Lynnfield and gulftown CPUs with core parking disabled and enabled to see the gains or no gain throughout the Whole CPU test suite along with gaming. I would also like to see if disabling core parking does anything for frame times on video cards. You never know it just might lower frame time latencies "shot in the dark" but it sure is worth a review. It mainly has to do with I7 cpus that have HT but i would like to see a 3570k or 2500k in there just to make sure disabling core parking does not work on non HT CPUs

To the TR benchers please do a review on Disabling core parking for everyone. I have searched HI and LOW and have yet to find a full review on the advantages and disadvantages of Disabling core parking. I don't ask for much from the TR gods But i am Now. I think we are all loosing a slight to a good bit of performance from win 7s core parking routine.
Adding a Blowdozer or trinity also with core parking disabled would be nice.
Thanks
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system