Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Multi Monitor Users Please Help

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:08 pm

Hi,

I have put together a system of 12 monitors with 3 AMD FirePro 2460 Low Profile video cards each handling 4 monitors.

One video Card is in Top 16X slot as shown in Picture link below.

Second Video Card is in Middle 8X slot

Third Video Card is in bottome 16 slot

Monitors are arranged in two rows, 6 in each row as shown in Picture Link below.

My question is how to connect each monitor in those slots.

Meaning which slot should I plug in the monitor # 1 & so on.

The reason I am asking is that in Windows -7 it didn’t matter but in Windows -8 some of the applications wouldn’t open.

When I open these application they show their buttons on task bar but they stay minimized & would not open ( Maximize ) & thus not available to work with.

None of the applications are games & I do not play games at all.

Link for Picture of my Setup :

http://i50.tinypic.com/2d0je5t.png

Thank You

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Multi Monitor Users Please Help

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:48 am

Wish I could help you but I gave up on Windows 8 multi-monitor support after it
  • Completely failed the conference-room 2x2 HDTV arrangement in eyefinity (though 4x1 was fine)
  • Demonstrated how worthless it was as a true, power-user's mutlitasking OS.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:18 pm

I'm trying babe, I'm trying reeeaaallly hard not to turn this into an epic Win8 trollfest. But basically this sounds like an OS problem, possibly related to how Win8 treats the desktop in Metro vs non-Metro, and I'd have to agree that your best bet is probably to go with Win 7 for Serious Business like multiple displays unless/until they do a service pack aimed at power users.

relmerator
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:30 pm

You say some applications have problems. Which ones?

I work on a product that leverages win8's multimon support to the max supported configuration of 16 monitors. We haven't encountered any differences between win7 and win8 in this area. The connections of the monitors to their cards aren't really important since you can just use the Screen Resolution control panel to move the monitors around to match their physical arrangement.