Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

south side sammy
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: vram and SSD's

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:06 pm

I appreciate that you guys like to archive things, but I still think most people are better-served with an SSD.[/quote]

In honesty I agree. On my way to "infamy" I started to think I'd start cramming more on to HD's so I went bigger. I keep things backed up on disc and do clean ups regularly. somewhere between 5 and 7 years later I barely broke the 200GB mark. Funny how things go. Still think a disc is safer storage than any type of drive/.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:02 am

auxy wrote:
jihadjoe wrote:
A few years ago I stopped archiving everything, and then regretted it when I decided I'd like to watch some early-mid 2000s tv shows and anime. Unlicensed stuff from that time can be very hard to find now, and even if you do spot a torrent more often than not there are no more seeds and/or the trackers are dead. Even licensed stuff eventually goes out of print. Want to see the Ranma 1/2 TV series today? I tried browsing the Viz website (they had the license to this in the 90s) and they don't even have DVDs for it anymore.

Disk space is cheap, I've since gone back to archiving everything I like.
Well, maybe I'm applying my own personal opinion too broadly. Still, I do computer consulting work from my home and most of my customers' computers with 240-1000GB HDDs have more than half their space left; most of the 1TB drives are using less than 200GB. So, this view isn't formed merely from my own personal experience.

I appreciate that you guys like to archive things, but I still think most people are better-served with an SSD.

Came across this little tidbit in a longer article.
Gartner estimates that the average household had roughly one terabyte of files by the end of 2012, with that forecast to grow to approximately 3.3TB by 2016. At the same time, it is estimated that people will have, on average, 5.8 Internet-connected devices per person by 2015.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:21 am

It is a matter of choosing the right tool for the job. SSDs are great for boot drives and frequently used apps/data. For less frequently used data you really want mechanical HDDs, external drives, drive docks, DVDs, etc...

I'm a pack rat. I keep (almost) everything. HDD capacity has been increasing fast enough over the past 20 years that whenever I upgrade I typically just copy everything over, and still have room to spare.

IMO these days the ideal storage configuration for a "power user" PC is a SSD boot/application drive, and a mechanical RAID-1 set for bulk data storage.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:41 am

thecoldanddarkone wrote:
What he said above and....

The x79 only has a theoretical 52.6 GB/s of bandwidth and my lowly gtx 560 ti has a theoretical 128 GB/s this alone is a huge bottleneck. This gets better though, the pci express 3 spec only supplies 1 GB/s in each direction and even with a 16x slots that's only 16 GB/s each direction.

Bottlenecks, bottlenecks and more bottlenecks.

In theory anyway, one can see that from pcie scaling the pcie bus isn't really much of a bottle neck in the real world for grx cards.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Inte ... s_Scaling/
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!