Graphical artifacts in BIOS

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Graphical artifacts in BIOS

Postposted on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:36 am

Hi,

I need your advice.

Build (2 yrs of daily usage):
i5-750 LGA1156
Radeon 5770
GA-P55M-UD2
Antec nsk3480 with stock earthwatt 380 PSU
WDBlack 750GB

My PC kept freezing after 3-4 hours of civ 5. Hard shutdown to reboot was the only solution as alt-tab / ctrl-alt-del did not work.
I suspected the weak PSU (it does make some electrical coil noise) and/or dust were the culprits.
Opened the case, removed the dust on and around the CPU & GPU's heatsinks [with vacuum cleaner ( :roll: ), I know I did a terrible mistake there].

After cleaning, all was set and plugged right. At boot, in the BIOS where I wanted to change a couple of settings, artifacts started appearing with increasing intensity and then the monitoring went black.

OK: the GPU's heatsink fan (a zalman VF900) was not running (I got over-zealous w/ the vacuum and most probably damaged the fan) and the GPU was super, super hot (could not touch the heatsink for longer then a second)

I have replaced the zalman with the stock MSI one (fan's working), with t-paste and all. And, in the bios, the same happened: artifacts, black screen, high gpu temp on touch... after less then 2 minutes

My questions
Is it likely I burned the GPU? It got too hot the first time ( when the fan was not running) and died. Is that even possible, to burn the chip after just 2-3 minutes after a cold boot?

Thanks in advance for your time (and telling me not to use a vacuum cleaner inside a PC!)
Pasdepardon
Gerbil

Re: Graphical artifacts in BIOS

Postposted on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:46 pm

I managed to reposition the fan of the zalman with a screwdriver and all is running fine now.
Pasdepardon
Gerbil

Return to Graphics