Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Re: AMD Drivers Keeps Crashing Under Windows -8

Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:20 am

Ryu Connor wrote:
This thread has not been has helpful to you as it should have been, Dan. It needs to get on topic.

Regardless of whether he needs it or wants it, Win8 is what he needs help with. Suggesting Win7 isn't a fix and is obnoxious.

Why he bought what he bought also has little bearing on helping him and is an obnoxious question.

Some actual help: Odds are the bug isn't in the OS, but in the hardware or driver. You're suffering from a TDR, which means the video driver/GPU "froze" and the kernel had to reset the driver to fix it. A TDR is preferable to a BSOD/Kernel panic/hard reset, which is what would have happened in the old days.

Link

TDRs are caused by:

Bad hardware
Bugs in drivers

One of your video cards could be defective, damaged PCB trace, defective electrical component, bad GPU RAM, and/or cold solder joints.
AMD needs to address a bug in their driver.

You are so right.

I don't understand if something is wrong with my hardware though because all I am doing is taking a win 7 hard disk & install win -8 on it keeping everything else same including hardware & software. Nothing changed except the system partition.

I keep several cloned copies of my hard disk, say 7 for 7 days so that if something goes wrong, all I have to do is to plug in a previous day HDD & I am ready to go go with minimal data loss.

Then what I did was to take the most recent HDD & installed Win -8 in system partition & boot & suddenly it starts crashing even before I install new drivers as well as after installing new drivers.

So with my limited knowledge of hardware & software it looks like something is wrong with OS OR GPU drivers & more later because I get two pop ups saying Driver stopped responding.

I posted this problem twice in AMD forum & did not get single reply.

I am going to keep trying though because that is my nature.

I do appreciate most comment & reply because these people have nothing to gain except be a better person.

This has been my most favorite Forum so far where I get a response 24 Hrs a day, 7 days a week & 365 days.

You guys are awesome & Thank You.

Please keep responding.

juzz86
Gerbil First Class

Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:08 am

Hi Dan,

I believe it's got something to do with FirePro's specifically mate. At work my two (older) FirePro's drive four panels between them. We attempted a migration on this system to Windows 8 Pro (we are currently using the system as a localhost mySQL server to test a new LIMS system, so we are able to play around with it a bit).

If I fire up the machine with both cards in, and all panels connected, I can use the (latest) driver to set up my expanded desktop, set the fourth panel as independent and just get the mySQL service running before the Drivers crash out. If I remove one card and just use two panels however, all is fine.

At home, I run two 6990s driving four panels between them on Windows 8 Pro. No issues whatsoever.

As with your experience, we never ran into issues running the 2x4 config under Windows 7. Even Windows XP ran them fine (what was in use when I signed on here).

I know this isn't really much direct help, but you're one of a handful of guys I've seen running into a similar issue to me. My queries to AMD have also been met with little other than generic responses.

For the time being, we have gone back to Windows 7. We're in the 99th of course, but I'd love a future driver release to have a look at greater-than-three multi-panel setups.

Best of luck finding some further information and a solution mate.

Justin
7700K, 32GB, 1080Ti - Suppressor F1

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:07 am

Ryu Connor wrote:
Suggesting Win7 isn't a fix and is obnoxious.

Some actual help: Odds are the bug isn't in the OS, but in the hardware or driver. You're suffering from a TDR, which means the video driver/GPU "froze" and the kernel had to reset the driver to fix it. A TDR is preferable to a BSOD/Kernel panic/hard reset, which is what would have happened in the old days.

Suggesting Win 7 isn't quite as obnoxious as it seems because his original post implies that this exact same system was working to drive 12 displays when he was running Win7 + AMD drivers that worked with Win 7. For an exotic setup like this, you might be better off with an OS + driver stack that has been through more tests vs. the still relatively new Win 8.

I would still lean toward a gradual build-up approach to testing the bug: Start with 1 video card, and keep adding monitors and video cards until you hit the bug. It's most likely a software issue, and as I have found out from some of my own projects, when you want to do something truly unusual you often end up getting to be the beta tester for hardware/software makers. Dan can be the guy who was responsible for getting the AMD video wall cards working under Win8!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:17 am

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012 ... itors.aspx

The multi-monitor features of Win8 are rather extensive versus previous editions of Windows. I'd suspect many of these features expect a Win8 WDDM 1.2 driver (7 is 1.1). You say AMD's last driver was in December and Win8 debuted late October that leaves a great chance that 1.2 support is still weak in their current driver. Heck 1.2 has a way to TDR without flickering built in.

It's also possible the new driver model and/or features are pushing the cards in a way that 7 never did and perhaps that's exposing bad hardware.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:17 pm

First many thanks to you all for educating me on a very technical problem.

I read somewhere else too about TDR & it makes sense.

Ryu Connor,

The last driver was issued on December 12, 2012.

But there were two previous versions both for Windows -7 & 8. ( Same driver for Win 7 & 8 )

First was September 25 version & second was November 8, 2012 Version.

I tried all of them on both Win 7 & Win -8 with the system configuration & all of the same applications so only change was the OS.

Both of above versions worked fine with Win -7 but under Win -8 both crashed.

As far as hardware goes, there aren't any problems under Windows - 7.

So I don't understand the suggestion that a video card could be defective.

But Win -8 might be expecting more from them & driving them to the edge causing problems ?

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:24 am

But Win -8 might be expecting more from them & driving them to the edge causing problems ?

Yes.

I'm not saying that is the case, simply that it is a remote possibility. That the new kernel, drivers, and features of 8 are exposing a piece of defective logic that 7 doesn't trigger.

Odds are more likely that AMD needs to release a new driver.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:04 am

Ryu Connor wrote:

Yes.

I'm not saying that is the case, simply that it is a remote possibility. That the new kernel, drivers, and features of 8 are exposing a piece of defective logic that 7 doesn't trigger.

Odds are more likely that AMD needs to release a new driver.

Thank You.
Really appreciate your help.