GTX 650 on 1024x768?

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi guys.. Im here again asking for your help.. Im just about to buy a new GTX 650 (non-Ti) now.. I would ask would i run all games in high since ive been using resolution like 1024x768?

My spec is 4GB RAM
core i3..
Thanks guys...
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:32 pm

You will be fine.... Heck, even an IGP can do resolutions that low without too much trouble so the 650 may be overkill! Any reason you are so resolution limited if you don't mind me asking?
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Probably where I don't belong.

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:40 pm

chuckula wrote:You will be fine.... Heck, even an IGP can do resolutions that low without too much trouble so the 650 may be overkill! Any reason you are so resolution limited if you don't mind me asking?


Yeah, thats what I also thought.. but id prefer overkill performance, than short performance just to be sure.. Also, i just love using these standard screen resolutions..Right now, im using 1024x768 monitor but not LCD nor LED.. i use this big bulk monitor.. hahahaha i just love this kind.. this is 5 years in me right now.. served 2 system units..
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:44 pm

Nothing wrong with CRTs though that is a fairly limited resolution. I'm still using a CRT but I tend to run around 1280x1024 just because of the font size. This monitor can go up to 1600x1200 if I want to (say in a game.)
nanoflower
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Now, i want to reconsider.. I've been constantly seeing people in tomshardware that hd 7770 is better than GTX 650.. is it true?
What highest resolution could an hd 7770 serve but supplying ultra settings on all games?

That resolution also does GTX 650 could serve with ultra settings on all games? Right now, these 2 cards have competitions in my mind..
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:01 pm

tigidig3x wrote:Now, i want to reconsider.. I've been constantly seeing people in tomshardware that hd 7770 is better than GTX 650.. is it true?
What highest resolution could an hd 7770 serve but supplying ultra settings on all games?

That resolution also does GTX 650 could serve with ultra settings on all games? Right now, these 2 cards have competitions in my mind..


I'd put the 650 ahead of the 7770 in absolute performance (the 7790 that TR just reviewed today is designed to beat the 650, but it is a higher-end card than the 7770).

However, assuming you are using Windows, then the 7770 might be the better card for your particular situation because it is cheaper, likely has a lower power draw and is quieter, but still has enough horsepower to easily play the games you want at 1024x768 in a way that won't be noticeably different than the 650. If you move to higher resolutions, that evaluation may change, however.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Probably where I don't belong.

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:08 pm

chuckula wrote:
tigidig3x wrote:Now, i want to reconsider.. I've been constantly seeing people in tomshardware that hd 7770 is better than GTX 650.. is it true?
What highest resolution could an hd 7770 serve but supplying ultra settings on all games?

That resolution also does GTX 650 could serve with ultra settings on all games? Right now, these 2 cards have competitions in my mind..


I'd put the 650 ahead of the 7770 in absolute performance (the 7790 that TR just reviewed today is designed to beat the 650, but it is a higher-end card than the 7770).

However, assuming you are using Windows, then the 7770 might be the better card for your particular situation because it is cheaper, likely has a lower power draw and is quieter, but still has enough horsepower to easily play the games you want at 1024x768 in a way that won't be noticeably different than the 650. If you move to higher resolutions, that evaluation may change, however.



Ya, im using windows 7 64bit.. Also, im not disregarding the fact that there would be instance that i upgrade my monitor for higher resolution in the coming months.. (but hasn't really came up to my mind yet)... Im just thinking far so that if ever i upgrade there wont be problems.. In higher res, which is better 650 or 7770? also, wouldnt 7770 be a bad partner for intel? and would it not bottleneck my specs?
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:27 pm

chuckula wrote:
tigidig3x wrote:Now, i want to reconsider.. I've been constantly seeing people in tomshardware that hd 7770 is better than GTX 650.. is it true?
What highest resolution could an hd 7770 serve but supplying ultra settings on all games?

That resolution also does GTX 650 could serve with ultra settings on all games? Right now, these 2 cards have competitions in my mind..


I'd put the 650 ahead of the 7770 in absolute performance (the 7790 that TR just reviewed today is designed to beat the 650, but it is a higher-end card than the 7770).

However, assuming you are using Windows, then the 7770 might be the better card for your particular situation because it is cheaper, likely has a lower power draw and is quieter, but still has enough horsepower to easily play the games you want at 1024x768 in a way that won't be noticeably different than the 650. If you move to higher resolutions, that evaluation may change, however.


You're getting the 650 Ti mixed up with a 650.
I.S.T.
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:18 am

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Guys! Please help me decide on these two cards:

GTX 650 (non-Ti)
HD Sapphire 7770

Which of these two cards would perform better? I want to play heave games today on high settings and im using a 1024x768 monitor.. But please don't disregard the instance that i may upgrade my monitor resolution someday.. So please recommend a good pick that would fit my needs. Heave games, on high settings.. and would cope up with higher resolutions.. thanks.. :D

EDIT** -- ALso guys, im using a Intel Core i3.. Do you think there would be no conflicts if i use AMD GPU's? Because if ever i pick amd in this one, this would be my first time to use amd.. Also my mobo is this: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61M_LE/

Would it fit in my mobo?
Last edited by tigidig3x on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:25 pm

I.S.T. wrote:
chuckula wrote:
tigidig3x wrote:Now, i want to reconsider.. I've been constantly seeing people in tomshardware that hd 7770 is better than GTX 650.. is it true?
What highest resolution could an hd 7770 serve but supplying ultra settings on all games?

That resolution also does GTX 650 could serve with ultra settings on all games? Right now, these 2 cards have competitions in my mind..


I'd put the 650 ahead of the 7770 in absolute performance (the 7790 that TR just reviewed today is designed to beat the 650, but it is a higher-end card than the 7770).

However, assuming you are using Windows, then the 7770 might be the better card for your particular situation because it is cheaper, likely has a lower power draw and is quieter, but still has enough horsepower to easily play the games you want at 1024x768 in a way that won't be noticeably different than the 650. If you move to higher resolutions, that evaluation may change, however.


You're getting the 650 Ti mixed up with a 650.



Yeah, I just re-read the review and it was the 650 TI (stupid naming conventions). I'd lean toward the 7770 if you are in this class of video card then.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Probably where I don't belong.

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:03 pm

Bumps.. please answer my questions guys.. im most concerned if 7770 would really physically fit in my mobo?

Im concerned about this one i think this would get in the way of 7770 or 650 card.. please see the part i circled..

Image

Also, right now, a gt 220 is fitted in that card im not just really so sure if 7770 or 650 would fit in there now..
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:24 pm

tigidig3x wrote:Guys! Please help me decide on these two cards:
GTX 650 (non-Ti)
HD Sapphire 7770
Which of these two cards would perform better?

The Radeon HD7770 is superior to the GeForce GTX650.

You would have no problem inserting either one of them into your motherboard's PCIe slot. The chipset heatsink that you're concerned about isn't a problem because it conforms to the ATX standard for allowable height of components. The card can go across the top of it without any harm.


You might try running your big old CRT monitor at slightly higher resolutions. Try 1152x864 or 1280x960 as improvements over 1024x768. It's very likely that your monitor will support one of those two. I'd try to keep the refresh rate at 70 Hz and above to avoid headache-inducing flicker.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15426
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:32 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
tigidig3x wrote:Guys! Please help me decide on these two cards:
GTX 650 (non-Ti)
HD Sapphire 7770
Which of these two cards would perform better?

The Radeon HD7770 is superior to the GeForce GTX650.

You would have no problem inserting either one of them into your motherboard's PCIe slot. The chipset heatsink that you're concerned about isn't a problem because it conforms to the ATX standard for allowable height of components. The card can go across the top of it without any harm.


You might try running your big old CRT monitor at slightly higher resolutions. Try 1152x864 or 1280x960 as improvements over 1024x768. It's very likely that your monitor will support one of those two. I'd try to keep the refresh rate at 70 Hz and above to avoid headache-inducing flicker.


Thank you.. yeah, im really convinced that 7770 is superior thab 650.. but my question is, would 7770 physically fit in my mobo? Please see the picture below..

Image

That video card sitting right there, is gt 220.. I wonder if i replace that with 7770 would sapphire 7770 fit in that slot not touching that thing with asus logo?
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:38 pm

The cooler on the video card will go right across the top of the chipset heatsink without touching it. The ATX standard specification tells the motherboard makers how high things are allowed to stick up next to the PCIe slot. It also tells the graphics card makers how low stuff can hang down from the graphics card. As long as everyone follows the rules, there are no collisions.
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15426
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:49 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:The cooler on the video card will go right across the top of the chipset heatsink without touching it. The ATX standard specification tells the motherboard makers how high things are allowed to stick up next to the PCIe slot. It also tells the graphics card makers how low stuff can hang down from the graphics card. As long as everyone follows the rules, there are no collisions.


So you telling me it would fit exactly right? You sure about that man huh? hehehehe Thank you so much..Dude..
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:43 am

tigidig3x wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:The cooler on the video card will go right across the top of the chipset heatsink without touching it. The ATX standard specification tells the motherboard makers how high things are allowed to stick up next to the PCIe slot. It also tells the graphics card makers how low stuff can hang down from the graphics card. As long as everyone follows the rules, there are no collisions.


So you telling me it would fit exactly right? You sure about that man huh? hehehehe Thank you so much..Dude..


What he's saying is that if all the manufactures follow the guidelines, everything will fit. He won't be able to give you a 100% answer simply because often time *if* a component doesn't fit, it's by mm's. Which is impossible to tell by simply a picture.

But you won't have any problems. I've put together MANY system and have never had a problem with a motherboard heatsink and a graphics card. (Granted, I'm sure there are combinations out there that have problems, I've just never run across such a combination).

And personally and this is just my fanboyism coming out, I'd get the Radeon 7770. But I'm a big Radeon fan, so there's some bias there.
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3073
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:05 pm
Location: In my secret cave that has bats

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:41 am

Yeah, so what would i do, would i buy it? or look for other cards that i think would "surely" fit to my pc?
also, if i buy HD 7770, does HD Sapphire 7770 come with 6 pin pcie to 4 pin connector? Because my power supply doesnt have a 6 pin pcie connector.. or please check my PSU if i have looked wrong.. my PSU is Enermax NAXN 82+ 650W...
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:20 am

Most 7770 either come with a molex to 6 pin connector or don't require a 6 pin connector. Looking on Newegg it looks like the Sapphire 7770s do provide a molex to 6 pin connector so you shouldn't have a problem.
nanoflower
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:44 am

tigidig3x wrote: So you telling me it would fit exactly right? You sure about that man huh?
Yes, I'm sure about that.

Your Enermax ENP650AWT power supply has two 6+2 pin PCIe connectors. The Radeon HD7770 needs only one 6-pin connector. Even if your power supply lacks a PCIe power cable, the Sapphire 100358OCL Radeon HD7770 comes with a 4-pin molex to 6-pin PCIe adapter. Even if you buy a card that doesn't come with one, you can get a PCIe power adapter for less than $5:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812200106
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812189120
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812887001
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812267004
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15426
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:56 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
tigidig3x wrote: So you telling me it would fit exactly right? You sure about that man huh?
Yes, I'm sure about that.

Your Enermax ENP650AWT power supply has two 6+2 pin PCIe connectors. The Radeon HD7770 needs only one 6-pin connector. Even if your power supply lacks a PCIe power cable, the Sapphire 100358OCL Radeon HD7770 comes with a 4-pin molex to 6-pin PCIe adapter. Even if you buy a card that doesn't come with one, you can get a PCIe power adapter for less than $5:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812200106
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812189120
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812887001
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812267004


yay! So i think im gonna go for it man.. Ill buy HD 7770..
About the 6 pin, yeah that's what also im thinking too. But i just asked to be sure.. ill just detach the 2 pin on the 8 pin right?
Other question, as a first time AMD GPU user, is it true that AMD is only good for gaming, and won't last long compared to nvidia GPU's? I don't know but i just heard this to everybody and this holds me to get AMD GPU's.. But now i really want to try.. Please clarify.. to amd fanboys here..
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:05 am

Both NVidia and AMD graphics chips do a good job for gaming and for everything else.

Sapphire (or XFX or Asus or EVGA) is a good brand. They'll use good quality components (capacitors, voltage regulators, coolers, etc.) to manufacture a well-engineered graphics card.

Radeon HD7770 (particularly the Sapphire 100358OCL - $125 at Newegg or $130 at Amazon) gets my recommendation over GeForce GTX650 because it provides more bang for the buck, not because the GeForce card wouldn't work or would be likely to catch fire and burn your house down.

If you wanted to spend $180, I'd suggest a Radeon HD7850 2GB graphics card. It is overkill for your extremely low resolution, but it provides excellent gaming performance at 1920x1080.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15426
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:19 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:Both NVidia and AMD graphics chips do a good job for gaming and for everything else.

Sapphire (or XFX or Asus or EVGA) is a good brand. They'll use good quality components (capacitors, voltage regulators, coolers, etc.) to manufacture a well-engineered graphics card.

Radeon HD7770 (particularly the Sapphire 100358OCL - $125 at Newegg or $130 at Amazon) gets my recommendation over GeForce GTX650 because it provides more bang for the buck, not because the GeForce card wouldn't work or would be likely to catch fire and burn your house down.


Oh yeah.. My GT 220 here in now idles at 40-50.. but goes up to 65 maximum when loaded.. i think its pretty hot..but honestly, i really liked nvidia service.. they also produce good cards..

Can i ask, what is the maximum or normal temps of HD 7770? I can't find it on their specifications in their website...
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:04 am

Your current card is a skinny low profile card, They really push the chipset cooler and graphics card clearance to the bare minumum so they can get as much cooler on the skinny LP cards as possible.

The full sized card should have a mm or 2 more clearance since they are working with a full width board.

I would follow JAE advise and get a 2gb 7850 or the brand new 7790 bonair silicone based video card for $150 since both the 7790 and 7850 the number of triangles rasterized per clock cycle has risen from one to two. The 7770 can only do one triangle per clock cycle so the 7790 doubles the amount of polygon throughput from 1000 to 2000.
Quote from the Tr review "Compared to the Radeon HD 7850 1GB, the 7790 in theory has similar texture filtering and shader performance, and it should offer even higher tessellation throughput" Since tessellation is used so much these days i would stay away from the 7770 and get the new 7790. Also frame times are much much better then a 7770.
As for temp, loaded noise and power draw the 7790 runs cooler then pretty much everything and sips power as the charts will show you on this page from the TR review http://techreport.com/review/24539/amd- ... eviewed/11 I hihgly rec you read it.

I have a awesome Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB 22 inch CRT superflat Monitor if you need more CRT size and resolution in great working order. Very heavy indeed! shipping will cost almost as much as monitor. In 2004 it was over $700...the only time i ever spent more was in 2005 or 2006 when dell came out with there 1920-1200 lcd I purchased on sale for $1000
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:03 pm
Location: philly suburbs

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:58 pm

vargis14 wrote:Your current card is a skinny low profile card, They really push the chipset cooler and graphics card clearance to the bare minumum so they can get as much cooler on the skinny LP cards as possible.

The full sized card should have a mm or 2 more clearance since they are working with a full width board.

I would follow JAE advise and get a 2gb 7850 or the brand new 7790 bonair silicone based video card for $150 since both the 7790 and 7850 the number of triangles rasterized per clock cycle has risen from one to two. The 7770 can only do one triangle per clock cycle so the 7790 doubles the amount of polygon throughput from 1000 to 2000.
Quote from the Tr review "Compared to the Radeon HD 7850 1GB, the 7790 in theory has similar texture filtering and shader performance, and it should offer even higher tessellation throughput" Since tessellation is used so much these days i would stay away from the 7770 and get the new 7790. Also frame times are much much better then a 7770.
As for temp, loaded noise and power draw the 7790 runs cooler then pretty much everything and sips power as the charts will show you on this page from the TR review http://techreport.com/review/24539/amd- ... eviewed/11 I hihgly rec you read it.

I have a awesome Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB 22 inch CRT superflat Monitor if you need more CRT size and resolution in great working order. Very heavy indeed! shipping will cost almost as much as monitor. In 2004 it was over $700...the only time i ever spent more was in 2005 or 2006 when dell came out with there 1920-1200 lcd I purchased on sale for $1000



Nah.. As JAE said, for my resolution, that hd 7790 would be more overkill.. Also, i can't extend anymore my budget for that.. However, if i make my resolution higher to 1024x768 this card could still cope up right? I watched youtube videos of battlefield 3 on ultra settings in 1920x1080 using this card, very smooth.. no lag at all.. So i think this would be enough.. But, however.. if i could add more bucks, then id definitely go for more higher card, of course..I really just hope that Sapphire HD 7770 would physically fit in my mobo.. :D

Wow, you have too many bucks in there bro.. :D
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:07 pm

Also guys, additional question, what is the difference beetween plain Sapphire HD 7770, and Sapphire HD 7770 GHz edition OC?

What does OC mean? is it overcloked already?
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:12 pm

The OC version (100358OCL) runs at 1.1 GHz. The standard Gigahertz edition (100358L) runs at 1.0 GHz. Of course, if you use AMD's overdrive overclocking utility, you can run either one of them even faster than that, but that's the way that the card's BIOSes are programmed out of the box.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15426
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:19 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:The OC version (100358OCL) runs at 1.1 GHz. The standard Gigahertz edition (100358L) runs at 1.0 GHz. Of course, if you use AMD's overdrive overclocking utility, you can run either one of them faster than that, but that's the way that the card's BIOSes are programmed out of the box.


Oh, so GHz edition is faster than plain hd 7770, right? Does using AMD overclock assuming i bought OC version, would it be that easy to overclock 7770?
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:21 pm

All Radeon HD7770 cards are "Gigahertz edition" because 1000 MHz is the default GPU core speed for that model. The hot-clocked versions run faster than 1000 MHz.
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15426
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:22 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:All Radeon HD7770 cards are "Gigahertz edition" because 1000 MHz is the default GPU core speed for that model. The hot-clocked versions run faster than 1000 MHz.


Oh, ok.. thanks for the knowledge.. :D
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: GTX 650 on 1024x768?

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:06 am

HIS makes great cards, I have a HIS 7750 that has been serving me well in my HTPC hooked to my 55" plasma with a i3 2120 cpu. It games pretty good for only pulling 55 watts.

Since your set on the 7770 here is a HIS card on sale at newegg for $99.99 with free shipping. Pretty dang good price only 10$ more then what i paid for my 7750 8 months ago:)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161402
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:03 pm
Location: philly suburbs

Next

Return to Graphics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests