Anyone see this? Full Radeon 8xxx specs?

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Re: Anyone see this? Full Radeon 8xxx specs?

Postposted on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:52 pm

Auxy wrote: GPUs are expensive!
People with graphics cards that cost over $1000 don't get to poor-mouth. Your position is completely unrepresentative of the market.

At $269.99 minus $20 MIR with three decent games included, how close are we to Savg's budget?
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15402
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Anyone see this? Full Radeon 8xxx specs?

Postposted on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:05 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:People with graphics cards that cost over $1000 don't get to poor-mouth. Your position is completely unrepresentative of the market.
Wha-?! I didn't pay for this! I am thrilled to have it, but I don't think HAVING it makes me any less entitled to speak about the travails of those less fortunate! I'm still really poor, you know? I mean, in the scope of "people who can afford to play computer games", anyway.

Geez.

JustAnEngineer wrote:At $269.99 minus $20 MIR with three decent games included, how close are we to Savg's budget?
He said he was considering a 7850 or 7870. Realistically, I think you're looking at a top end of $230 or so. Maybe he can sell the cat to make the extra step? I'd sure make some kind of effort, in any case. 384-bit memory, mmm...
i5-3570K @ 4.4 (NH-C14), 4x8GB DDR3-1866, GA-Z68MA-D3H-B2, ASUS GTXTITAN-6GD5, 128GB Vertex 4 / 2x60GB Vertex Plus R2 / 2x2TB Barracuda 7200.14 RAID0 / ANS-9010 (4x4GB), SST-DA1000 (PSU), 2x VS229H-P, 1x VG248QE, 1x MIMO 720F, Corsair Vengeance K90+M95
auxy
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: the armpit of Texas

Re: Anyone see this? Full Radeon 8xxx specs?

Postposted on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:00 am

Good lord that sounds awesome. We have six that hang here and two of them are ours. Anyone want a cat?

But no, I am simply not that interested in upgrading until there are a lot less major dx9 releases. I'm hoping dx9 won't even be a thing next year...but as retarded as PC gaming has been I doubt it.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Between desert and tundra

Re: Anyone see this? Full Radeon 8xxx specs?

Postposted on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:08 am

Savyg wrote:Good lord that sounds awesome. We have six that hang here and two of them are ours. Anyone want a cat?

But no, I am simply not that interested in upgrading until there are a lot less major dx9 releases. I'm hoping dx9 won't even be a thing next year...but as retarded as PC gaming has been I doubt it.


With Crytek and UE3 all pushing DX11 releases along with major support from Source and upcoming UE4, I think we should be alright. I'm still even a little hopeful that Bethesda extracts something useful out of Rage- it should look a lot better on the PC side if they start their optimizations for the new consoles.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil
 
Posts: 4992
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Re: Anyone see this? Full Radeon 8xxx specs?

Postposted on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:19 am

Airmantharp wrote:
Savyg wrote:Good lord that sounds awesome. We have six that hang here and two of them are ours. Anyone want a cat?

But no, I am simply not that interested in upgrading until there are a lot less major dx9 releases. I'm hoping dx9 won't even be a thing next year...but as retarded as PC gaming has been I doubt it.


With Crytek and UE3 all pushing DX11 releases along with major support from Source and upcoming UE4, I think we should be alright. I'm still even a little hopeful that Bethesda extracts something useful out of Rage- it should look a lot better on the PC side if they start their optimizations for the new consoles.



There are rumours that id is in a bit of trouble. They have to finish DOOM 4 soon, otherwisem Bethesda will stop them from making other games and just have the focus on improving the id tech 5 engine. Imo though, having played Rage, i don't know if the megatexture was such a great idea. In retrospect ofc it's a lot esier to draw conclusions, not gonna fault id for trying something different.

The major issue will always be (i just don't see how it could be fixed) textures streaming while your moving fast around the game world and low resolution look of the megatexture. It's actually high res but it's stretched so much that when viewed up close, it looks like a game made in 2004.
Last edited by Arclight on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
Arclight
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:50 am

Re: Anyone see this? Full Radeon 8xxx specs?

Postposted on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:26 am

Arclight wrote:There are rumours that id is in a bit of trouble. They have to finish DOOM 4 soon, other Bethesda will stop them from making other games and just have the focused on improving the id tech 5 engine. Imo though, having played Rage, i don't know if the megatexture was such a great idea.

I thought the environments, characters, and vehicles looked great. Just ironic that the close range environments looked awful.
Airmantharp wrote:With Crytek and UE3 all pushing DX11 releases along with major support from Source and upcoming UE4, I think we should be alright. I'm still even a little hopeful that Bethesda extracts something useful out of Rage- it should look a lot better on the PC side if they start their optimizations for the new consoles.

I don't know. I intend to just grab a PS4 and buy games for that until I know what the hell is going on...even the publisher with the most dx11 titles is still releasing far too much dx9 stuff.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Between desert and tundra

Re: Anyone see this? Full Radeon 8xxx specs?

Postposted on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:21 am

The other reason I'm holding off is I intend to replace my box with a Kaveri if it performs decently. Don't want to drain my finances before that.

The i7 920 setup I have performs well but it's been unstable and had ports dying and so on since it got built, and the DX58SO is quite possibly the worst motherboard design I've ever seen. Tried replacing the mobo, only ones I could find were way too expensive...still. Picked one up. Worked for a while...then didn't, so I'm back on the original mobo with the broken bits and everything.

I'd just really like a fresh start at this point.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Between desert and tundra

Re: Anyone see this? Full Radeon 8xxx specs?

Postposted on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:22 am

Arclight wrote:I don't know if the megatexture was such a great idea. In retrospect ofc it's a lot esier to draw conclusions, not gonna fault id for trying something different.

The major issue will always be (i just don't see how it could be fixed) textures streaming while your moving fast around the game world and low resolution look of the megatexture. It's actually high res but it's stretched so much that when viewed up close, it looks like a game made in 2004.

I thought RAGE looked great up close; no worse than most Unreal 3 titles, anyway. On the open road, it just blows everything else away; nothing else even comes close. Even Crysis' open environments pale in comparison to RAGE's. Nevermind that it runs in 720p with 4x MSAA @ 60 FPS on an Xbox 360. That's so incredible as to be literally unbelievable until I experienced it myself.

I ran it at 1080p with 4x MSAA and never saw a twitch from 60fps on SLI GTX 460s and a Core i3-2105. Truly amazing.
Savyg wrote:The other reason I'm holding off is I intend to replace my box with a Kaveri if it performs decently. (...) The i7 920 setup I have performs well but (...) I'd just really like a fresh start at this point.
I don't blame you for wanting a fresh start, but I think i7-920 -> Kaveri might be a bit of a sidegrade, or worse.

Well, maybe you should take this opportunity to pick up some high-performance memory for that APU.
i5-3570K @ 4.4 (NH-C14), 4x8GB DDR3-1866, GA-Z68MA-D3H-B2, ASUS GTXTITAN-6GD5, 128GB Vertex 4 / 2x60GB Vertex Plus R2 / 2x2TB Barracuda 7200.14 RAID0 / ANS-9010 (4x4GB), SST-DA1000 (PSU), 2x VS229H-P, 1x VG248QE, 1x MIMO 720F, Corsair Vengeance K90+M95
auxy
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: the armpit of Texas

Re: Anyone see this? Full Radeon 8xxx specs?

Postposted on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:28 am

auxy wrote:I thought RAGE looked great up close; no worse than most Unreal 3 titles, anyway. On the open road, it just blows everything else away; nothing else even comes close. Even Crysis' open environments pale in comparison to RAGE's. Nevermind that it runs in 720p with 4x MSAA @ 60 FPS on an Xbox 360. That's so incredible as to be literally unbelievable until I experienced it myself.

I ran it at 1080p with 4x MSAA and never saw a twitch from 60fps on SLI GTX 460s and a Core i3-2105. Truly amazing.


It has nice static vistas i agree. Even though Rage had a post apocalyptic look to it i was also amazed how beatifull the pseudo open maps looked. That said it doesn't change the low resolution look of objects when seen up close, even though some people aren't bothered by it, nor has it been proven as a good engine for twitch online fps games given the megatexture streaming issue.

Something that stuck to me as the most egregious thing related to how Rage looked was the sky. OMG that sky looked like something out of CS 1.6
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
Arclight
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:50 am

Re: Anyone see this? Full Radeon 8xxx specs?

Postposted on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:10 am

auxy wrote:I think i7-920 -> Kaveri might be a bit of a sidegrade, or worse.

Might be might not, but at this point I'll take a box I can rely on over one I can't.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Between desert and tundra

Re: Anyone see this? Full Radeon 8xxx specs?

Postposted on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:26 am

Pville_Piper wrote: WHAT!! A moderater wanting to see hate! Shock, horror and rage??? :wink:


So if we respond with shock, horror and rage and he bans us does that fall under entrapment? :wink:

Anyways my reaction to this is meh. Nvidia's G92 is still the undisputed rebadging champ, call me back when we're at the 10-series and it's still Tahiti.
jihadjoe
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Anyone see this? Full Radeon 8xxx specs?

Postposted on Sun May 05, 2013 4:20 am

auxy wrote:I don't blame you for wanting a fresh start, but I think i7-920 -> Kaveri might be a bit of a sidegrade, or worse.

While I'm still here, looks like the FX-6300 and i7 920 are fairly closely matched so I doubt it
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/47?vs=699

(Even if those are not the benchmarks I'd pick, the 920 isn't a common sight in reviews.)
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Between desert and tundra

Re: Anyone see this? Full Radeon 8xxx specs?

Postposted on Mon May 06, 2013 6:44 am

Savyg wrote:
auxy wrote:I don't blame you for wanting a fresh start, but I think i7-920 -> Kaveri might be a bit of a sidegrade, or worse.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/47?vs=699

Kaveri is most likely going to be "quad-core", which means 4300, not 6300.
i5-3570K @ 4.4 (NH-C14), 4x8GB DDR3-1866, GA-Z68MA-D3H-B2, ASUS GTXTITAN-6GD5, 128GB Vertex 4 / 2x60GB Vertex Plus R2 / 2x2TB Barracuda 7200.14 RAID0 / ANS-9010 (4x4GB), SST-DA1000 (PSU), 2x VS229H-P, 1x VG248QE, 1x MIMO 720F, Corsair Vengeance K90+M95
auxy
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: the armpit of Texas

Re: Anyone see this? Full Radeon 8xxx specs?

Postposted on Mon May 06, 2013 7:38 am

Savyg wrote:
auxy wrote:I don't blame you for wanting a fresh start, but I think i7-920 -> Kaveri might be a bit of a sidegrade, or worse.

While I'm still here, looks like the FX-6300 and i7 920 are fairly closely matched so I doubt it
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/47?vs=699
(Even if those are not the benchmarks I'd pick, the 920 isn't a common sight in reviews.)


That doesn't say anything about the IPC though, and that comparison is basically Nehalem @ 2.66GHz vs Piledriver @ 3.5GHz.
Not saying stock vs stock is bad, but a TR user on a 920 is likely overclocking. The main draw behind the 920 after all was that
it was a $300 product that would clock just as high as the $1000 965X.

At just 3.2GHz Nehalem is already faster than 3.5GHz FX:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/45?vs=699
jihadjoe
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Anyone see this? Full Radeon 8xxx specs?

Postposted on Mon May 06, 2013 10:55 am

I'm on a 920 and this thing has always been too much of a pile of **** to overclock (nevermind that I don't as a general rule.)

I think it might just be the memory but I'm not spending more money on a maybe.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Between desert and tundra

Previous

Return to Graphics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests