Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Re: *plunge* Bought a GTX 780

Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:11 am

juzz86 wrote:
Nice shots drfish, the 780 looks absolutely beautiful. Hopefully now with a new mobo underneath, you can give it a flogging over the weekend! I'm completely sold on the look at on-paper performance of the new nVidia stock coolers, can't wai to get on in-hand for a play. What resolution are you using this at? Also, just to sate my curiosity, that fan on your roof - is that a SilenX or something? I used to run those in an old CoolerMaster Ammo (yes, I know) 939 build, and they were pretty damn nice fans. Just thought I recognised the dull pewter paintjob!

We're not quite as lucky as you guys are with pricing on this side of the pond, unfortunately. GTX 780s are running high-700s to low-800s currently, and I knew this was where I had to aim for 2560x1600. I had a nice Gainward unit lined up on eBay last night, at AU$769 (the cheapest) and was ready to drop the hammer, when I found a guy selling his GTX 690 for 800 bones too. Had four hours to go so I put 900 bones on it (I'm coming from an HD 6990 and am a bit of a sucker for CF/SLI on-a-stick), ended up picking it up for 810. Bit excited to get my new piece of kit myself! ;)

Congrats on your purchase, IF I ever go multi-GPU again it will be Nvidia for sure.

I've got a 27" Korean ACHIEVA QH270 so everything is played at 2560x1440. I haven't messed with overclocking yet (I'm too in love with the noise profile to really want to push it anyway, if I do OC it I won't use any extra voltage) but I've put some decent time into Day Z with it and it runs it so much freaking better than my 5870s it's beyond stupid. It's also got a few games of Civ5 under its belt and that is also a marked improvement (Civ5 loves GK110, might have to fiddle with overclocking my screen). I'm really looking forward to sinking a lot of hours into Brave New World when it comes out next month. I don't even have any more modern games to throw at it, I primarily wanted "forget about it" performance from Day Z and the upcoming standalone version along with something that would last ~3 years like my previous couple cards did.

The fan is an AeroCool Shark and I'm actually not super impressed by it but since I got a fan controller awhile back I just leave it and all the other fans at their lowest RPMs and everything is great.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:33 am

Mentawl wrote:
Yup. I just moved from a pair of 670s to a single 780 on my 1400p screen and it's so much better!

How much better, would you say? Once I have a few extra bucks to throw around I'm considering selling 1 670 and relegating the 2nd 670 to a secondary rig.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:51 pm

JohnC wrote:
Yes, yes, a wondrous world of multi-GPU microstutter and half - baked SLI/Crossfire profiles... Which real gamer wouldn't want to go through all these "challenges" every day? :wink:

Has there been no progress in resolving/minimizing the micro-stutter problem since TR published their first micro-stuttering article back on September 8, 2011? PC Perspective's review of the GTX 770 in SLI, in which they perform stutter evaluations, came away with this:

While running in SLI, the GeForce GTX 770 cards were able to scale frame rates very well and also maintain very smooth frame rates at the same time - a trait that is just as important to the gaming experience as raw frame rate.

I'm itching to pull the trigger on two OC'ed 4GB GTX 770's.

End User

Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:05 pm

auxy wrote:
Lordhawkwind wrote:
For the money Nvidia are charging you will be able to buy a PS4 or Xbox One and still have change to buy a couple of good new game releases. I've never owned a console but if NVidia and AMD keep price gouging their high end cards I might just have a rethink. At these silly price points PC gaming may be on its last legs.
Are you a shill? Why would you even post this? It's complete nonsense.

Nonsense? If someone is price sensitive a console is a valid option. Gaming on a PC is not cheap.

How much did you pay for your Titan? :)

Mentawl
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Prestige Worldwide wrote:
Mentawl wrote:
Yup. I just moved from a pair of 670s to a single 780 on my 1400p screen and it's so much better!

How much better, would you say? Once I have a few extra bucks to throw around I'm considering selling 1 670 and relegating the 2nd 670 to a secondary rig.

It's difficult to quantify. In games that support SLI properly, I've not noticed a huge change (note about the only one I play is Skyrim). However in games that can only effectively utilise one card, or which are CPU limited, there has been a huge improvement in terms of consistency - World of Tanks is very much smoother, Guild Wars 2 is very much smoother, although framerates haven't really changed - they may in fact have gotten worse, slightly. It just -feels- better. Now I just have to hope I can sell the 670s for a reasonable amount to help offset the cost of the 780. :)
i7-8700k @ 4.7ghz | MSI Krait Z370 Gaming | nVidia GTX1080 | 16gb DDR4 3200 | 2x SSDs 1x HDD | Antec Solo II | Dell U2713HM

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:13 pm

End User wrote:
JohnC wrote:
Yes, yes, a wondrous world of multi-GPU microstutter and half - baked SLI/Crossfire profiles... Which real gamer wouldn't want to go through all these "challenges" every day? :wink:

Has there been no progress in resolving/minimizing the micro-stutter problem since TR published their first micro-stuttering article back on September 8, 2011? PC Perspective's review of the GTX 770 in SLI, in which they perform stutter evaluations, came away with this:

While running in SLI, the GeForce GTX 770 cards were able to scale frame rates very well and also maintain very smooth frame rates at the same time - a trait that is just as important to the gaming experience as raw frame rate.

Maybe the micro-stuttering was greatly improved, but I still see the working SLI/CrossFire profiles arriving long after the new game releases. If you're willing to wait for such things - be my guest :wink: I prefer not to, that's why I got my Titan and have no plans on getting the second one (I'll just purchase whatever the fastest single-GPU card Nvidia will release next).
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

End User

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:41 pm

JohnC wrote:
I still see the working SLI/CrossFire profiles arriving long after the new game releases. If you're willing to wait for such things - be my guest :wink: I prefer not to

The Metro: Last Light driver came out only 9 days after the game was released. The settings can be manually adjusted if need be.

l33t-g4m3r

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:43 pm

Congrats. I just recently bought a MSI 7970 BE myself, to go with my 3d monitor. I don't really like how Nvidia cripples the compute capability of their cards, nor how overpriced they all are. The nvidia recording stuff doesn't interest me, and if it did there are plenty of alternatives. I think this card should last me a while. The only thing I might miss is phsyx, but I could probably rig up a hybrid setup if I really wanted. The only thing left for me to do now, is transfer settings from Vista to my 7 rig. There's got to be an easier way to do this stuff.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:52 pm

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
There's got to be an easier way to do this stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Easy_Transfer
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:35 pm

End User wrote:
JohnC wrote:
I still see the working SLI/CrossFire profiles arriving long after the new game releases. If you're willing to wait for such things - be my guest :wink: I prefer not to

The Metro: Last Light driver came out only 9 days after the game was released. The settings can be manually adjusted if need be.

I see people having problems with SLI/CrossFire even after the appropriate driver releases claiming a profile additions for these new games:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... orking-/2/
Not to mention people having issues with older games being possibly "broken" with newer SLI profiles:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... -single-/1
I don't know why some people have SLI/CrossFire issues and some do not even when using same drivers/games/hardware but as I said before - I am not willing to participate in these "experiments" anymore.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

End User

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:16 pm

JohnC wrote:
I don't know why some people have SLI/CrossFire issues and some do not even when using same drivers/games/hardware but as I said before - I am not willing to participate in these "experiments" anymore.

My 570 SLI setup has been rock solid for 2.5 yrs. Definitely going with dual 770's soon.

juzz86
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:33 pm

drfish wrote:
Congrats on your purchase, IF I ever go multi-GPU again it will be Nvidia for sure.

I've got a 27" Korean ACHIEVA QH270 so everything is played at 2560x1440. I haven't messed with overclocking yet (I'm too in love with the noise profile to really want to push it anyway, if I do OC it I won't use any extra voltage) but I've put some decent time into Day Z with it and it runs it so much freaking better than my 5870s it's beyond stupid. It's also got a few games of Civ5 under its belt and that is also a marked improvement (Civ5 loves GK110, might have to fiddle with overclocking my screen). I'm really looking forward to sinking a lot of hours into Brave New World when it comes out next month. I don't even have any more modern games to throw at it, I primarily wanted "forget about it" performance from Day Z and the upcoming standalone version along with something that would last ~3 years like my previous couple cards did.

The fan is an AeroCool Shark and I'm actually not super impressed by it but since I got a fan controller awhile back I just leave it and all the other fans at their lowest RPMs and everything is great.

Thankyou mate. Glad to hear your thoughts on the noise profile. I've been coming here for years for Cyril and Scott's top-notch reviews, just more of a watcher than a poster. Registered a few weeks back as it's nice to see a forum where, by-and-large, people get along well. Coming from XDA, that's rare lol.

I picked up Civ V Gold on the weekend sale, am pulling it down as we speak. Haven't played Civ since III, so looking forward to it (I have a lot of hours in the original, lol).

Day Z is becoming standalone? I had a play with it a little while back, but when it comes to 'survival' in games I'm pretty miserable. Also, playing with other people pisses me off, haha. Still, it was definitely edgy and enjoyable until I ended up just getting wasted almost as soon as I came back in. Seemed to have a couple of guys just 'pick on me' a bit, which put a big dampener on it.

Looks like the AeroCool fan you have is indeed a re-badged SilenX. I remember them being under-whelming, I paid about twenty bucks a fan I think, and I remember them being poorer in acoustics than a pair of ridiculous 38mm Alumimiun CoolerMaster jobs I ran at the same time. Our local PC gear store here has a special on Nanoxia fans this week, so I've picked four of those up and am eagerly awaiting them.
7700K, 32GB, 1080Ti - Suppressor F1

JPinTO
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:59 pm

Nice.

GTX 780 is worth 120,000 PPD folding. Overclocked, it can push 150-170,000 PPD.

- JP

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:09 am

That's nuts! Out of curiosity what would a i7 2600K do?

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:35 pm

This amuses me greatly. :lol:

Best part is that I'm getting the best results using a 3dfx Glide wrapper and running in compatibility mode for Win98. This is running on Win8.1 Preview. :D

I love this game.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:11 am

End User wrote:
auxy wrote:
Lordhawkwind wrote:
For the money Nvidia are charging you will be able to buy a PS4 or Xbox One and still have change to buy a couple of good new game releases. I've never owned a console but if NVidia and AMD keep price gouging their high end cards I might just have a rethink. At these silly price points PC gaming may be on its last legs.
Are you a shill? Why would you even post this? It's complete nonsense.

Nonsense? If someone is price sensitive a console is a valid option. Gaming on a PC is not cheap.

How much did you pay for your Titan? :)

$400-$500 for a console or $250 to buy a gpu for your PC that will make it blow consoles out of the water, free access to online content, and all the ridiculous game sales you could ever ask for...hmm...
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:30 am

auxy wrote:
Krogoth wrote:
670Ti has far better value and price/performance ratio than 780ti, 680ti and Titan. It can effortlessly handle 2Megapxiel gaming with AA/AF and 4Megapixel w/o AA/AF on current titles. It can manage AA/AF with 4Megapixels under older stuff.
You realize there's no such thing as a "670Ti", right? Besides, not everyone is concerned solely with value and price/performance; if we were, we'd all be running Radeons right now.

670 and 680 only have 256-bit memory; that's crippling when you want to make use of SSAA, which is basically the only kind of AA I'm satisfied with.

Thank you Auxy. If you are going to are going to talk about video cards try not to call them by the wrong name... Makes your whole argument look a little, shall we say... "dubious"...

To the OP, if you don't game what are you doing that needs that much power? Folding? Video editing? Enquiring mind want to know...
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:52 am

The biggest workout it gets remains Day Z. However it will see a lot of Civ5 soon since the expansion is coming out. :) This weekend in addition to some retro Nerf it has also been kept busy with some Just Cause 2 Multiplayer... :D

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:53 am

Drfish i totally forgot to tell you i love your circuit board glass coaster in that one picture and that GTX780 is making me salivate:)
Also use some alcohol and clean those fingerprints off the top of your CPU heatsink...its looks like you installed it right as you were eating fried chicken or something :lol:
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:07 am

:lol:

Actually the marks on the heatsink are some kind of oxidation or something... I didn't really give it a good scrub or anything but it's crusty and not just finger prints... :-?

beck2448
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:21 am

End User wrote:
JohnC wrote:

The problems of late have been with Crossfire, as many sites have exposed. SLI performs much better.

Lordhawkwind
Gerbil

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Hey I'm not shill or a troll I just gave my opinion that the 780GTX was somewhat over priced. Everyone is entitled to an opinion right?

I've actually purchased a Palit Jetsream 770GTX OC for £320 which was the price point I was looking at. For most gamers at 1080p this is the sweet spot IMHO. it is between 30 and 50% faster than my first gen 7950 depending on the game and benchmark. I've now given my old 7950 to my son as an upgrade to a 5950. Both of us are happy chappys.

I still think that £550+ for the 780GTX is over priced and I stand by my statement that,for gaming purposes, the PS4 and Xbox one with some decent games are better value than a 780GTX. Let's face it most games ATM are console ports and this will only increase when the next gen consoles are launched. As for next gen graphics cards when are they going to arrive, at what price and more importantly at what cost.

Just my 2p's worth

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:57 pm

Beck2488 I would not worry about SLI performance/stuttering......SLI is much better then crossfire and i believe Nvidia has improved frame latency's on all SLI configurations since Tr and other sites have started testing latency's. I actually think you get lower latency's running SLI on 680/770's. Heck I know for sure since 320.18 driver maybe the driver before that actually made my 560 TI SLI setup run great, tearing is pretty much gone and frame latency's are much better and game play is smoother running my 560 TI's in SLI then running a single card and I am talking a game titles that do not stress out a single 560ti. Like Left for Dead 2. Heavy duty titles like crysis 3 and BF3 and The latest MOH run smooth as silk on Ultra / high settings. In the early TR latency reviews the 560ti single and SLI latency's were absolutely horrible!!! I would love to see a TR do a rehash with latency tests on the 500 series and 600 series with the 320.18 drivers.

HeHe Lordhawkwing Your son is not getting a old 7950....you have to remember its the same tahiti silicon powering the latest and greatest AMD cards you can get now so I would not consider it old in the least bit. As for your new 770 you have a GTX 680 with higher clocks and performance....memory bandwidth gets a real healthy boost. I wonder if any 680s can be flashed to 770s if you pick the correct board design that mirrors a 770 so you could give a 680 7000mhz+ memory speeds.
I bet your son is a happier camper then you since he is jumping 2 generations from a 5000 series to your 7950 that is plenty powerful for unrestricted 1920 game play, plus he can get a healthy boost with a OverClock or maybe he can be flashed to a boost bios then OC:). Your 770 can now use physics for extra eye candy on supported games. Now If you play FPS games against your son he is going to annihilate you since he will have much better frame rates then before.....You two enjoy your upgrades!
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:20 pm

Bringing this one back from the dead since the GPU in question is about to get a makeover and I need somewhere to post the results. I've run my 780 at stock clocks since I bought it but I've been feeling the itch to replace it so naturally I decided to start overclocking it... For a couple weeks now I've had it running at ~1050Mhz\6.4Ghz core\mem vs. stock of 900Mhz\6Ghz (boost clocks). Nothing spectacular but left me wanting more... Then I remembered the Corsair H55 CLC I had laying around and I decided to buy a GPU bracket to stick it in, I picked the Corsair HG10 N780 for the job since it looked a little beefier than the Kraken G10. Temps with the stock cooler end up sitting right around 80°C since that's what the default profile tries to accomplish, I know the H55 isn't much of a CLC but I'm hoping to shave 20°C off that mark even with the extra voltage I'll be adding. I'm hoping to hit 1200Mhz on the core, that'd be a nice ~33% OC to match the ~33% OC on my 2600K (4.6Ghz currently after running @ 4.2Ghz since I got it).

My plan is to remove the stock cooler from the 780 tonight, will post pics if it works out. Wish me luck!

Edit: I'm committed now!

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:51 am

Looking for some advice before I assemble everything this afternoon... I'm still rocking my vintage Antec 300 with no immediate plans to change to something more modern. The image below is how I intended to setup my new GPU radiator but I've been thinking about other options... I should note that I am replacing the rather noisy top exhaust 140mm fan with a COUGAR CF-V14HB that I should be able to run faster/higher CFM than I do currently.

First option:
I'm not the biggest fan of this one since the hot CPU air will be the first thing that hits the radiator but it is the most straightforward. If I get the OC I want and the temps are "good enough", should I even care?

Or I could do something like this:
Now we have the reverse problem. Plus with only a single 140mm fan as the exhaust I think this is asking for trouble (even if it is the fancy new one mentioned above).

Or this:
This seems like the best option if I have room. Makes taking the side panel off a giant pain though (not that I do it too often). Worth it if I can make it work?

I could go really extreme and flip all my fans around so that I am fighting convection and using the top, back, and side as intakes and the front as exhaust but that just seems a little silly.

Any other ideas?

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:35 pm

So I went with the first most traditional option. So far running FurMark has me pegged at 56°C vs. the previous 80°C so not too bad for parts I mostly had at the ready and a less than ideal air flow setup...

Pics!

I'm happy so far. :D

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:02 pm

IMO, you have the best setup for CPU and case cooling at the moment, sacrificing the performance of the radiator but ensuring everything else runs cooler.

Best CPU and GPU combined would be:

Intake 1 front lower fan, as it is now
Intake 2 front upper fan, as it is now
Intake 3 rear fan, CPU fan switched to other side of cooler, or even cooler rotated 90 degrees to blow up if that's possible.
Exhaust 1 - side panel with radiator
Exhaust 2 - PSU
Exhaust 3 - top fan.

This is a natural two-zone system, and in your narrow case with full-height drive cage, the graphics card itself acts as a natural zone divider; Cold air comes in at the front with little else to heat it, meaning that the side-panel radiator is breathing cooler air and ejecting heat directly out of the case. The PSU fan will assist the radiator fan in balancing exhaust air with the intake air of the two front fans, effectively zeroing the air pressure differential between the lower half of the case and the upper half of the case. There will be some crossover from convection, but for the most part the GPU is not detrimental to CPU cooling.

The remaining two fans at the top of the case provide the CPU cooler with fresh air and an easy convection-assisted exhaust to remove the hottest air. The only thing that suffers from low airflow in this instance is the backside of the graphics card, which is only hot because of heat conducted through traces from the GPU. Cool the GPU further with this setup and there's even less heat to worry about there. Do you cool the back of your CPU socket? Nope, didn't think so ;)

Best GPU temps (with minor raise to CPU temps):

...is your last suggested option with the side panel as a radiator intake. This also has the effect of forcing air around the GPU to help cool RAM and the motherboard's VRMs but these are rarely anywhere near as hot as the graphics card so the gain is minor.

Both of my recommendations have you dealing with a side-panel radiator though, and from experience this is something that I find irritating. It's not a train smash, but it's four extra screws to undo every time you want to take you side panel off. If you're happy with what works now and not bothered about maximum efficiency there's no real reason to change anything.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:29 am

Thanks for your thoughts Chrispy! After feeling how much more hot air comes out of the rear exhaust now that the GPU is dumping everything back there I'm fairly certain I won't be running in any configuration that directs that energy back into the case! Having to deal with the side mounted radiator is just further reason to stay away from that. If I decide to chase lower GPU temps my first course will be to replace the cira 2009 Scythe S-FLEX with something more modern like a Gentle Typhoon - but I don't think I will. I actually cancelled the order for that Cougar fan since everything came together so well this way. I'll worry about fans when I get a new case but that probably won't happen until I move on from Sandy...

In game my temps are obviously a bit lower than in FurMark, I had DayZ running last night with my normal settings except with the rendering resolution at 200% (5k) instead of 125% and the GPU leveled out at 51°C. I did this in-game instead of with DSR since it's less hassle for the same result minus the blurring. BTW, since DayZ lets your set the rendering res inside the game and it works in multiples of what your actual res is you could theoretically play DayZ at "10k" on a 1440p monitor. I tried 8k once but it was a total slideshow due to memory usage but I think a 6-12GB card might be able to handle it ok. :o

TLDR, ~30°C GPU temp drop in game, boost clock running 100Mhz faster at ~1162Mhz without shooting higher yet. Me => Happy camper.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:54 am

Hehe, nice job drfish! I got my GTX TITAN up to 1202Mhz with a BIOS mod so i'm sure you can do something similar.

At 1202Mhz on the GTX TITAN I had no real issue playing many games in 4K resolution. Dark Souls, even with ridiculous texture mods, worked just fine. Skyrim, too, although Skyrim has ... issues, at 4K. (Well, it might have been the UI mod I was using.) The best was Phantasy Star Online 2, though. That game is all hard lines and sharp geometry because it's a port of a PS Vita game, so high resolution does wonders for it. Hehe. ('ω') This is normally the part where I'd share a bunch of screenshots but I'm sure nobody cares. ( ;∀;)

I never tried anything much above 4K except for 3.0x renderscale in Neverwinter (5760 * 3240), which ran abysmally. I don't think that's as much a memory CAPACITY issue as it is a memory BANDWIDTH issue. Resolution jumps, even huge ones like this, don't necessarily impact memory usage as much as they do require massive amounts of fillrate and bandwidth, and while the 384-bit bus on GK100 isn't exactly narrow, it isn't exactly massive, either -- especially given that GTX TITAN lacks the fast 7GT/sec memory of the later cards.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:17 am

Fair enough, DayZ memory usage climbs pretty linearly with res bumps from the testing I've done though. Not that it is a pillar or efficiency by any means but even at my simulated 1800p I'm pretty close to my 3GB cap after I've been playing for a bit - I suspect though that it is opportunistically filling up the available space rather than actually needing that much in VRAM (or it's just leaking, who knows?).

As for my OC I don't plan on going above the 106% voltage that EVGA Precision allows - at least not until I really get the upgrade itch again and need an outlet... ;) I'll fiddle with it a bit more over the weekend and see how high I can stay stable in FurMark... I'm sure I could go higher in game but I don't want to push it that hard.

BTW, while I was playing with DSR etc I saved the notes I made at the time, might as well share them here...

60MP - 10K
33.2MP - 8K
14.7MP - 5K
11.1MP - 5160x2160 (1.5x 3440x1440) Target for 980Ti w/ G-Sync Monitor w/ Max AA
8.3MP - 4K
7.7MP - 4300x1800 (1.25x 3440x1440) Should be no problem for 980Ti w/ Max AA
*5.8MP - 3200x1800 (1.25x 2560x1440) ACCEPTABLE Performace from GTX 780 w/ Max AA
5MP - 3440x1440 NEXT STEP for GTX 780 w/ G-Sync Monitor and Max AA
3.6MP - 2560x1440
2MP - 1080p

* - current settings

Since then I've been rethinking that 21:9 idea in favor of sticking with 16:9... Still not sure about that... That jump from where I'm dabbling now to 8K though, WOW - and then 10K doubles that! Makes the 1440p to 4K jump look insignificant.