*plunge* Bought a GTX 780

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Re: *plunge* Bought a GTX 780

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:11 am

juzz86 wrote:Nice shots drfish, the 780 looks absolutely beautiful. Hopefully now with a new mobo underneath, you can give it a flogging over the weekend! I'm completely sold on the look at on-paper performance of the new nVidia stock coolers, can't wai to get on in-hand for a play. What resolution are you using this at? Also, just to sate my curiosity, that fan on your roof - is that a SilenX or something? I used to run those in an old CoolerMaster Ammo (yes, I know) 939 build, and they were pretty damn nice fans. Just thought I recognised the dull pewter paintjob!

We're not quite as lucky as you guys are with pricing on this side of the pond, unfortunately. GTX 780s are running high-700s to low-800s currently, and I knew this was where I had to aim for 2560x1600. I had a nice Gainward unit lined up on eBay last night, at AU$769 (the cheapest) and was ready to drop the hammer, when I found a guy selling his GTX 690 for 800 bones too. Had four hours to go so I put 900 bones on it (I'm coming from an HD 6990 and am a bit of a sucker for CF/SLI on-a-stick), ended up picking it up for 810. Bit excited to get my new piece of kit myself! ;)

Congrats on your purchase, IF I ever go multi-GPU again it will be Nvidia for sure.

I've got a 27" Korean ACHIEVA QH270 so everything is played at 2560x1440. I haven't messed with overclocking yet (I'm too in love with the noise profile to really want to push it anyway, if I do OC it I won't use any extra voltage) but I've put some decent time into Day Z with it and it runs it so much freaking better than my 5870s it's beyond stupid. It's also got a few games of Civ5 under its belt and that is also a marked improvement (Civ5 loves GK110, might have to fiddle with overclocking my screen). I'm really looking forward to sinking a lot of hours into Brave New World when it comes out next month. I don't even have any more modern games to throw at it, I primarily wanted "forget about it" performance from Day Z and the upcoming standalone version along with something that would last ~3 years like my previous couple cards did.

The fan is an AeroCool Shark and I'm actually not super impressed by it but since I got a fan controller awhile back I just leave it and all the other fans at their lowest RPMs and everything is great.
TR BBQ ~XI~ has come and gone but you can relive it by checking out this gallery!
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:33 am

Mentawl wrote:Yup. I just moved from a pair of 670s to a single 780 on my 1400p screen and it's so much better!

How much better, would you say? Once I have a few extra bucks to throw around I'm considering selling 1 670 and relegating the 2nd 670 to a secondary rig.
i7 3820 @ 4.4, Custom Water Loop | ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 8GB G.Skill 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz | Samsung 840 250GB |WD Black 1TB | Win 8 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Corsair TX850V2 | Fractal Arc Midi R2
Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:51 pm

JohnC wrote:Yes, yes, a wondrous world of multi-GPU microstutter and half - baked SLI/Crossfire profiles... Which real gamer wouldn't want to go through all these "challenges" every day? :wink:

Has there been no progress in resolving/minimizing the micro-stutter problem since TR published their first micro-stuttering article back on September 8, 2011? PC Perspective's review of the GTX 770 in SLI, in which they perform stutter evaluations, came away with this:

While running in SLI, the GeForce GTX 770 cards were able to scale frame rates very well and also maintain very smooth frame rates at the same time - a trait that is just as important to the gaming experience as raw frame rate.

I'm itching to pull the trigger on two OC'ed 4GB GTX 770's.
i7-3770K@4.7 | H100 | P8Z77-V PREMIUM | 16GB | 2 GTX 770 4GB SLI | M500 960GB | EVO 840 250GB | AX850 | Obsidian 550D | R.A.T. 9 | U2713H | U2711
End User
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:05 pm

auxy wrote:
Lordhawkwind wrote:For the money Nvidia are charging you will be able to buy a PS4 or Xbox One and still have change to buy a couple of good new game releases. I've never owned a console but if NVidia and AMD keep price gouging their high end cards I might just have a rethink. At these silly price points PC gaming may be on its last legs.
Are you a shill? Why would you even post this? It's complete nonsense.

Nonsense? If someone is price sensitive a console is a valid option. Gaming on a PC is not cheap.

How much did you pay for your Titan? :)
i7-3770K@4.7 | H100 | P8Z77-V PREMIUM | 16GB | 2 GTX 770 4GB SLI | M500 960GB | EVO 840 250GB | AX850 | Obsidian 550D | R.A.T. 9 | U2713H | U2711
End User
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Prestige Worldwide wrote:
Mentawl wrote:Yup. I just moved from a pair of 670s to a single 780 on my 1400p screen and it's so much better!

How much better, would you say? Once I have a few extra bucks to throw around I'm considering selling 1 670 and relegating the 2nd 670 to a secondary rig.

It's difficult to quantify. In games that support SLI properly, I've not noticed a huge change (note about the only one I play is Skyrim). However in games that can only effectively utilise one card, or which are CPU limited, there has been a huge improvement in terms of consistency - World of Tanks is very much smoother, Guild Wars 2 is very much smoother, although framerates haven't really changed - they may in fact have gotten worse, slightly. It just -feels- better. Now I just have to hope I can sell the 670s for a reasonable amount to help offset the cost of the 780. :)
i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz | ASUS P8Z68-V | nVidia GTX780 | 32gb DDR3| 2x SSDs 2x HDD | Antec Solo II | Dell U2713HM
Mentawl
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:13 pm

End User wrote:
JohnC wrote:Yes, yes, a wondrous world of multi-GPU microstutter and half - baked SLI/Crossfire profiles... Which real gamer wouldn't want to go through all these "challenges" every day? :wink:

Has there been no progress in resolving/minimizing the micro-stutter problem since TR published their first micro-stuttering article back on September 8, 2011? PC Perspective's review of the GTX 770 in SLI, in which they perform stutter evaluations, came away with this:

While running in SLI, the GeForce GTX 770 cards were able to scale frame rates very well and also maintain very smooth frame rates at the same time - a trait that is just as important to the gaming experience as raw frame rate.

Maybe the micro-stuttering was greatly improved, but I still see the working SLI/CrossFire profiles arriving long after the new game releases. If you're willing to wait for such things - be my guest :wink: I prefer not to, that's why I got my Titan and have no plans on getting the second one (I'll just purchase whatever the fastest single-GPU card Nvidia will release next).
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:41 pm

JohnC wrote:I still see the working SLI/CrossFire profiles arriving long after the new game releases. If you're willing to wait for such things - be my guest :wink: I prefer not to

The Metro: Last Light driver came out only 9 days after the game was released. The settings can be manually adjusted if need be.
End User
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:43 pm

Congrats. I just recently bought a MSI 7970 BE myself, to go with my 3d monitor. I don't really like how Nvidia cripples the compute capability of their cards, nor how overpriced they all are. The nvidia recording stuff doesn't interest me, and if it did there are plenty of alternatives. I think this card should last me a while. The only thing I might miss is phsyx, but I could probably rig up a hybrid setup if I really wanted. The only thing left for me to do now, is transfer settings from Vista to my 7 rig. There's got to be an easier way to do this stuff.
l33t-g4m3r
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:52 pm

l33t-g4m3r wrote:There's got to be an easier way to do this stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Easy_Transfer
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:35 pm

End User wrote:
JohnC wrote:I still see the working SLI/CrossFire profiles arriving long after the new game releases. If you're willing to wait for such things - be my guest :wink: I prefer not to

The Metro: Last Light driver came out only 9 days after the game was released. The settings can be manually adjusted if need be.

I see people having problems with SLI/CrossFire even after the appropriate driver releases claiming a profile additions for these new games:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... orking-/2/
Not to mention people having issues with older games being possibly "broken" with newer SLI profiles:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... -single-/1
I don't know why some people have SLI/CrossFire issues and some do not even when using same drivers/games/hardware but as I said before - I am not willing to participate in these "experiments" anymore.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:16 pm

JohnC wrote:I don't know why some people have SLI/CrossFire issues and some do not even when using same drivers/games/hardware but as I said before - I am not willing to participate in these "experiments" anymore.

My 570 SLI setup has been rock solid for 2.5 yrs. Definitely going with dual 770's soon.
End User
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:33 pm

drfish wrote:Congrats on your purchase, IF I ever go multi-GPU again it will be Nvidia for sure.

I've got a 27" Korean ACHIEVA QH270 so everything is played at 2560x1440. I haven't messed with overclocking yet (I'm too in love with the noise profile to really want to push it anyway, if I do OC it I won't use any extra voltage) but I've put some decent time into Day Z with it and it runs it so much freaking better than my 5870s it's beyond stupid. It's also got a few games of Civ5 under its belt and that is also a marked improvement (Civ5 loves GK110, might have to fiddle with overclocking my screen). I'm really looking forward to sinking a lot of hours into Brave New World when it comes out next month. I don't even have any more modern games to throw at it, I primarily wanted "forget about it" performance from Day Z and the upcoming standalone version along with something that would last ~3 years like my previous couple cards did.

The fan is an AeroCool Shark and I'm actually not super impressed by it but since I got a fan controller awhile back I just leave it and all the other fans at their lowest RPMs and everything is great.

Thankyou mate. Glad to hear your thoughts on the noise profile. I've been coming here for years for Cyril and Scott's top-notch reviews, just more of a watcher than a poster. Registered a few weeks back as it's nice to see a forum where, by-and-large, people get along well. Coming from XDA, that's rare lol.

I picked up Civ V Gold on the weekend sale, am pulling it down as we speak. Haven't played Civ since III, so looking forward to it (I have a lot of hours in the original, lol).

Day Z is becoming standalone? I had a play with it a little while back, but when it comes to 'survival' in games I'm pretty miserable. Also, playing with other people pisses me off, haha. Still, it was definitely edgy and enjoyable until I ended up just getting wasted almost as soon as I came back in. Seemed to have a couple of guys just 'pick on me' a bit, which put a big dampener on it.

Looks like the AeroCool fan you have is indeed a re-badged SilenX. I remember them being under-whelming, I paid about twenty bucks a fan I think, and I remember them being poorer in acoustics than a pair of ridiculous 38mm Alumimiun CoolerMaster jobs I ran at the same time. Our local PC gear store here has a special on Nanoxia fans this week, so I've picked four of those up and am eagerly awaiting them.
3770, 16GB, QUO AOS, GTX 690, 512GB 840 Pro, Xonar DSX - Watercooled DS Cube
juzz86
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:59 pm

Nice.

GTX 780 is worth 120,000 PPD folding. Overclocked, it can push 150-170,000 PPD.

- JP
JPinTO
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:09 am

That's nuts! Out of curiosity what would a i7 2600K do?
TR BBQ ~XI~ has come and gone but you can relive it by checking out this gallery!
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:35 pm

This amuses me greatly. :lol:

Best part is that I'm getting the best results using a 3dfx Glide wrapper and running in compatibility mode for Win98. This is running on Win8.1 Preview. :D

I love this game.
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:11 am

End User wrote:
auxy wrote:
Lordhawkwind wrote:For the money Nvidia are charging you will be able to buy a PS4 or Xbox One and still have change to buy a couple of good new game releases. I've never owned a console but if NVidia and AMD keep price gouging their high end cards I might just have a rethink. At these silly price points PC gaming may be on its last legs.
Are you a shill? Why would you even post this? It's complete nonsense.

Nonsense? If someone is price sensitive a console is a valid option. Gaming on a PC is not cheap.

How much did you pay for your Titan? :)

$400-$500 for a console or $250 to buy a gpu for your PC that will make it blow consoles out of the water, free access to online content, and all the ridiculous game sales you could ever ask for...hmm...
Intel Core i7-875K, Asus P7P55D-E Pro, Win 7 Home Premium
MSI GTX 560 Ti OC, Mushkin 2x2GB DDR3-1333, Corsair TX650
Cooler Master Hyper 212+, Logitech Z-2300, ASUS Xonar DX
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, Dell Ultrasharp U2410, Antec P183
DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:30 am

auxy wrote:
Krogoth wrote:670Ti has far better value and price/performance ratio than 780ti, 680ti and Titan. It can effortlessly handle 2Megapxiel gaming with AA/AF and 4Megapixel w/o AA/AF on current titles. It can manage AA/AF with 4Megapixels under older stuff.
You realize there's no such thing as a "670Ti", right? Besides, not everyone is concerned solely with value and price/performance; if we were, we'd all be running Radeons right now.

670 and 680 only have 256-bit memory; that's crippling when you want to make use of SSAA, which is basically the only kind of AA I'm satisfied with.

Thank you Auxy. If you are going to are going to talk about video cards try not to call them by the wrong name... Makes your whole argument look a little, shall we say... "dubious"...

To the OP, if you don't game what are you doing that needs that much power? Folding? Video editing? Enquiring mind want to know...
Windows8.1 Pro 64 bit, Antec EA650 Power Supply, ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard, I5 3570K processor, 8 gigs of Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 ram, Kingston HyperX 3K 240 gig SSD, Asus GTX660, Cooler Master Storm Scout case
Pville_Piper
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:52 am

The biggest workout it gets remains Day Z. However it will see a lot of Civ5 soon since the expansion is coming out. :) This weekend in addition to some retro Nerf it has also been kept busy with some Just Cause 2 Multiplayer... :D
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:53 am

Drfish i totally forgot to tell you i love your circuit board glass coaster in that one picture and that GTX780 is making me salivate:)
Also use some alcohol and clean those fingerprints off the top of your CPU heatsink...its looks like you installed it right as you were eating fried chicken or something :lol:
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:07 am

:lol:

Actually the marks on the heatsink are some kind of oxidation or something... I didn't really give it a good scrub or anything but it's crusty and not just finger prints... :-?
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:21 am

End User wrote:

The problems of late have been with Crossfire, as many sites have exposed. SLI performs much better.
beck2448
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Hey I'm not shill or a troll I just gave my opinion that the 780GTX was somewhat over priced. Everyone is entitled to an opinion right?

I've actually purchased a Palit Jetsream 770GTX OC for £320 which was the price point I was looking at. For most gamers at 1080p this is the sweet spot IMHO. it is between 30 and 50% faster than my first gen 7950 depending on the game and benchmark. I've now given my old 7950 to my son as an upgrade to a 5950. Both of us are happy chappys.

I still think that £550+ for the 780GTX is over priced and I stand by my statement that,for gaming purposes, the PS4 and Xbox one with some decent games are better value than a 780GTX. Let's face it most games ATM are console ports and this will only increase when the next gen consoles are launched. As for next gen graphics cards when are they going to arrive, at what price and more importantly at what cost.

Just my 2p's worth
Lordhawkwind
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:57 pm

Beck2488 I would not worry about SLI performance/stuttering......SLI is much better then crossfire and i believe Nvidia has improved frame latency's on all SLI configurations since Tr and other sites have started testing latency's. I actually think you get lower latency's running SLI on 680/770's. Heck I know for sure since 320.18 driver maybe the driver before that actually made my 560 TI SLI setup run great, tearing is pretty much gone and frame latency's are much better and game play is smoother running my 560 TI's in SLI then running a single card and I am talking a game titles that do not stress out a single 560ti. Like Left for Dead 2. Heavy duty titles like crysis 3 and BF3 and The latest MOH run smooth as silk on Ultra / high settings. In the early TR latency reviews the 560ti single and SLI latency's were absolutely horrible!!! I would love to see a TR do a rehash with latency tests on the 500 series and 600 series with the 320.18 drivers.

HeHe Lordhawkwing Your son is not getting a old 7950....you have to remember its the same tahiti silicon powering the latest and greatest AMD cards you can get now so I would not consider it old in the least bit. As for your new 770 you have a GTX 680 with higher clocks and performance....memory bandwidth gets a real healthy boost. I wonder if any 680s can be flashed to 770s if you pick the correct board design that mirrors a 770 so you could give a 680 7000mhz+ memory speeds.
I bet your son is a happier camper then you since he is jumping 2 generations from a 5000 series to your 7950 that is plenty powerful for unrestricted 1920 game play, plus he can get a healthy boost with a OverClock or maybe he can be flashed to a boost bios then OC:). Your 770 can now use physics for extra eye candy on supported games. Now If you play FPS games against your son he is going to annihilate you since he will have much better frame rates then before.....You two enjoy your upgrades!
2600k HT on@4705mhz 8gb Cas9 1600 mem 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922 with a TX-850 PSU 2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Graphmaster Gerbil

Previous

Return to Graphics